Can I swap Ultrega600 Double crank for Sora triple?

ethos

May 21, 2010
I am new to all this so sorry in advance and I appreciate your help :)

I recently bought a 1990ish Trek 1500 with Ultrega600 components all around. I think as long as the components aren't worn out it will serve my purposes well. I only wish it had a triple crank.

So, can I swap the 90ish Ultrega double for a Sora triple? Is this a good idea? I know the Sora is a downgrade, but I think I will miss that granny gear pretty sorely and I am on a budget. (obviously) I have seen Sora triples with bottom brackets for around $30 on ebay. That strikes me as a good price.

Thanks for your help!:D

ethos said:
I recently bought a 1990ish Trek 1500 with Ultrega600 components all around. I think as long as the components aren't worn out it will serve my purposes well. I only wish it had a triple crank.

So, can I swap the 90ish Ultrega double for a Sora triple? Is this a good idea? I know the Sora is a downgrade, but I think I will miss that granny gear pretty sorely and I am on a budget. (obviously) I have seen Sora triples with bottom brackets for around $30 on ebay. That strikes me as a good price.
Well, that is a good price ...

And, you can swap the one crankset for the other ...

BUT, you'll probably want a new rear derailleur with a longer cage + a new (longer) chain, too.

So, you're probably going to spend more money than you intend to at the moment ...

Regardless, you really may just need a cassette with a larger rear cog (e.g., 28t).

I think that unless you live in a really hilly area OR live in an area where you ride on mountain roadways, you probably don't need to get a triple.

Thanks I have been riding my old mountain bike so I got used to all the gears. You are probably right and I will just need to get used to the new setup.

ethos said:
I am new to all this so sorry in advance and I appreciate your help :)

Thanks for your help!:D

Need to ensure the LH lever is triple compatible. If it is you will need a new front derailleur and ideally, a long cage rear derailleur as well.