Can I use 2003 XTR Rear Derailler with 2002 XTR shifters?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Me, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    I my 2002 XTR rear mech derailler died. I want to replace it. Can I do it with one of the 2003 XTRs
    or do I have to get a 2002?

    If so why?

    Anyone know of a site (shimanos is too onfusing) that tells all about this compaitabily?

    -thanks

    Tags:

  2. Me wrote:

    > I my 2002 XTR rear mech derailler died. I want to replace it. Can I do it with one of the 2003
    > XTRs or do I have to get a 2002?
    >
    > If so why?
    >
    > Anyone know of a site (shimanos is too onfusing) that tells all about this compaitabily?
    >
    > -thanks

    Get either. If you get 2003 make sure it's not rapid rise (unless you want rapid rise).

    A rear deraileur moves when a cable is pulled. The shifter determines how much cable will be pulled
    per shift, and the rear deraileur goes along for the ride. Since the deraileur is a "dumb"
    component, there's nothing that really makes it an 8 speed, 9 speed, etc. Regardless of what your
    drive train is, a new deraileur will shift it - get a 2002 as it will match the rest of your
    components.

  3. Giganews

    Giganews Guest

    Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > | It took me over _half an hour_ to change gear this lunch time. It used
    > | take just a fraction of a second!
    > |
    > <snip spaces>
    > |
    > | Shaun aRe
    >
    > One could assume

    One could assume many things, but remember, according to someoneorother, 'assume' makes an 'ass' out
    of 'u' and 'me'.

    > you were kidnapped by beings of another realm and experimented on for (over_half_an_hour) - (just
    > a fraction of a second).

    Nope - everyone noted that it took me over half an hour, and no alien has yet been able to subdue
    me, though many have tried.

    > This would mean your gear shifting capabilities have remained constant

    My abilities have.

    > and explain the abundance of strange posts from your now alien altered mind.

    My mind has been the way it is (more or less) for as long as I canm remember (which is about 5,000
    years back...).

    Shaun aRe - Fucking SS sucks....

  4. Mike Spence

    Mike Spence Guest

    "GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Get either. If you get 2003 make sure it's not rapid rise (unless you
    > want
    > > rapid rise).
    >
    > How are you supposed to get 2003 *without* rapid rise? I thought that the 2003 XTR rear mech only
    > came in rapid rise.

    They do only come in rapid rise.

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:37:13 -0000, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can I do it with one of the 2003 XTRs or do I have to get a 2002?

    No, I think it would hurt...not that there's anything wrong with that.

    peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I my 2002 XTR rear mech derailler died. I want to replace it. Can I do it with one of the 2003
    > XTRs or do I have to get a 2002?
    >
    > If so why?
    >
    > Anyone know of a site (shimanos is too onfusing) that tells all about this compaitabily?
    >
    > -thanks

    There are '02 XTRs still available. Cambria has 'em on sale right now.

    Mike

  7. Mike Spence wrote:

    > "GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Get either. If you get 2003 make sure it's not rapid rise (unless you
    > > want
    > > > rapid rise).
    > >
    > > How are you supposed to get 2003 *without* rapid rise? I thought that the 2003 XTR rear mech
    > > only came in rapid rise.
    > >

    > They do only come in rapid rise.

    You can still buy the same deraileur that was made last year. Shimano still supports them.