Can I use 2003 XTR Rear Derailler with 2002 XTR shifters?

Me

Guest
I my 2002 XTR rear mech derailler died. I want to replace it. Can I do it with one of the 2003 XTRs
or do I have to get a 2002?

If so why?

Anyone know of a site (shimanos is too onfusing) that tells all about this compaitabily?

-thanks

Me wrote:

> I my 2002 XTR rear mech derailler died. I want to replace it. Can I do it with one of the 2003
> XTRs or do I have to get a 2002?
>
> If so why?
>
> Anyone know of a site (shimanos is too onfusing) that tells all about this compaitabily?
>
> -thanks

Get either. If you get 2003 make sure it's not rapid rise (unless you want rapid rise).

A rear deraileur moves when a cable is pulled. The shifter determines how much cable will be pulled
per shift, and the rear deraileur goes along for the ride. Since the deraileur is a "dumb"
component, there's nothing that really makes it an 8 speed, 9 speed, etc. Regardless of what your
drive train is, a new deraileur will shift it - get a 2002 as it will match the rest of your
components.

Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message

> | It took me over _half an hour_ to change gear this lunch time. It used
> | take just a fraction of a second!
> |
> <snip spaces>
> |
> | Shaun aRe
>
> One could assume

One could assume many things, but remember, according to someoneorother, 'assume' makes an 'ass' out
of 'u' and 'me'.

> you were kidnapped by beings of another realm and experimented on for (over_half_an_hour) - (just
> a fraction of a second).

Nope - everyone noted that it took me over half an hour, and no alien has yet been able to subdue
me, though many have tried.

> This would mean your gear shifting capabilities have remained constant

My abilities have.

> and explain the abundance of strange posts from your now alien altered mind.

My mind has been the way it is (more or less) for as long as I canm remember (which is about 5,000
years back...).

Shaun aRe - ****ing SS sucks....

"GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Get either. If you get 2003 make sure it's not rapid rise (unless you
> want
> > rapid rise).
>
> How are you supposed to get 2003 *without* rapid rise? I thought that the 2003 XTR rear mech only
> came in rapid rise.

They do only come in rapid rise.

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:37:13 -0000, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can I do it with one of the 2003 XTRs or do I have to get a 2002?

No, I think it would hurt...not that there's anything wrong with that.

peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I my 2002 XTR rear mech derailler died. I want to replace it. Can I do it with one of the 2003
> XTRs or do I have to get a 2002?
>
> If so why?
>
> Anyone know of a site (shimanos is too onfusing) that tells all about this compaitabily?
>
> -thanks

There are '02 XTRs still available. Cambria has 'em on sale right now.

Mike

Mike Spence wrote:

> "GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Get either. If you get 2003 make sure it's not rapid rise (unless you
> > want
> > > rapid rise).
> >
> > How are you supposed to get 2003 *without* rapid rise? I thought that the 2003 XTR rear mech
> > only came in rapid rise.
> >

> They do only come in rapid rise.

You can still buy the same deraileur that was made last year. Shimano still supports them.