Can you hammer a nail with an inflated tire?

In article
<[email protected]>,
Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> I still don't see why you think hammering the opposite side of the tire
> will increase the cushioning. The two halves of the tire are not closed
> systems. The tire has a given capacity and there's a constant quantity of
> air within. If you hit one side, you increase the air pressure on the
> other side of the tire. Am I missing something?

Maybe. Calculate the relative change in volume of a 26
x 1.5 tire, then the change in pressure.

--
Michael Press

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> In a current thread, the familiar comment has been made to the effect
>> that the tire absorbs shocks so well that you couldn't hammer a nail
>> by resting a normally inflated front tire on a nail and whacking the
>> the headset with a hammer.

> you should have been a grade school science teacher, not english.

No kidding. Carl's reading comprehension is *way* too low for an English
teacher. For reference, here's the quote to which Carl refers:

"Think of it this way - imagine trying to drive a nail using a bicycle
stem on an upside-down bicycle as the contact point with the nail, and
hammering on the front tire. You'd certainly have to work to get the
road bike's nail driven, but you'd never, ever get the nail driven
using the downhill bike as a buffer."

Carl distorted the original quote by an order of magnitude. And
"familiar?" How about a few cites to show that it's been said before?
I've never seen it.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu