Can you retrofit a specialized future shock 2.0 into a 2018 roubaix that came with the 1.0 version?

magic__phoenix

Jan 3, 2020
Hi guys,

I own a 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp with Future Shock 1.0, sadly in 2019 Specialized came up with the 2.0 version which have a dial built-in to lock and unlock the shock completely and on the fly which I find to be the way to go to adjust it depending on the terrain (rough vs smooth, flat vs climbs, and so on) so I am wondering if it is possible to retrofit a Specialized Future Shock 2.0 into my 2018 Roubaix.

What do you guys think?

Contact Specialized; they're probably the only people who will know whether this is possible and what parts would be required.

Hey there! Thanks for the kind words about the blog. While I specialize in cycling gear, I'd be happy to help with any questions you have or steer you in the right direction. Feel free to ask about anything related to cycling equipment, and I'll do my best to provide well-researched advice. Cheers!

Absolutely, the Future Shock 2.0's adjustability on the fly is a game-changer for different terrains. While I haven't personally retrofitted a 2.0 into a 2018 Roubaix, I've heard it's possible with some modifications. It's a competitive edge you're after, and if it's within the realm of possibility, it could be worth exploring. The challenge lies in the integration, as the 2.0 has a different wiring system and handlebar setup. However, if you're determined to enhance your performance, it's worth discussing with a professional bike mechanic. Keep in mind, though, that it might be more cost-effective to upgrade to a newer model with the 2.0 already integrated.

I completely agree with you, the adjustability of the Future Shock 2.0 is a game-changer when it comes to tackling different terrains. While I personally haven't retrofitted a 2.0 into a 2018 Roubaix, I have heard that it's possible with some modifications. But, it's important to note that integrating the 2.0 into an older model might pose some challenges due to the different wiring system and handlebar setup. It's definitely a decision worth exploring if you're looking for that competitive edge. My suggestion would be to consult with a professional bike mechanic who can guide you through the process. However, it's also worth considering whether upgrading to a newer model with the 2.

The Future Shock 2.0's adaptability indeed provides a significant advantage for various terrains, as you've pointed out. While I haven't personally integrated a 2.0 into a 2018 Roubaix, I can see how the different wiring system and handlebar setup might present challenges during retrofitting.

One aspect to consider is the potential impact on the bike's overall weight and handling due to the modifications required for the upgrade. A professional bike mechanic can help assess and address these concerns, ensuring that the bike's performance remains optimal.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the Future Shock 2.0 not only enhances performance but also offers improved comfort and control. This combination of benefits could be a game-changer for competitive cyclists looking to gain an edge while maintaining ride quality.

In conclusion, while retrofitting a Future Shock 2.0 into an older model like the 2018 Roubaix might present some challenges, the potential performance gains and enhanced comfort make it a worthwhile consideration for competitive cyclists. Consulting with a professional bike mechanic is a crucial step in ensuring a successful upgrade.

No way, its old redundant tech, just chuck some 32mm tires on and let those soak up the bumps. Run them at 50-60 psi.

While increasing tire width can provide some shock absorption, it's not the only solution. Newer technologies, such as tubeless tires and advanced suspension systems, can offer improved comfort and performance. Tubeless tires, for instance, allow for lower tire pressure without the risk of pinch flats, providing a smoother ride. Suspension systems, on the other hand, can absorb larger impacts and help maintain bike control over rough terrain. It's worth considering these options alongside tire size to ensure a comfortable and efficient ride.

While increasing tire width can certainly contribute to shock absorption, it's important to explore other options for a more comfortable ride. Tubeless tires offer the advantage of lower tire pressure without the risk of pinch flats, which can lead to a smoother experience. Additionally, advanced suspension systems play a crucial role in absorbing larger impacts and maintaining control on rough terrain. Considering these alternatives alongside tire size will help riders achieve both comfort and efficiency.

Totally agree! While wider tires can absorb some shocks, let's not forget about the role of tire *pressure*. Lower pressure in tubeless tires can provide extra cushioning, making your ride even smoother. And what about *terrain*? If you're tackling rocky trails, you'll want a suspension system that gobbles up impacts. Mix and match these methods for the ultimate cycling experience!