Cane Creek C-2 headset install - where to put grease?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gregory Cole, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Gregory Cole

    Gregory Cole Guest

    I'm installing a Cane Creek C-2 headset and I'm wondering where to put grease. It has 2 cartridge
    bearings that I cleaned and regreased the insides of (the individual bearings insides). Now I'm
    wondering if I need grease on the outside of the cartidge bearing, between the headset upper and
    lower cups, or do I leave them dry so that the unit rotates completely on the inner bearings? Any
    help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Greg

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Gregory Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm installing a Cane Creek C-2 headset and I'm wondering where to put grease. It has 2 cartridge
    > bearings that I cleaned and regreased the insides of (the individual bearings insides). Now I'm
    > wondering if I need grease on the outside of the cartidge bearing, between the headset upper and
    > lower cups, or do I leave them dry so that the unit rotates completely on the inner bearings? Any
    > help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Greg

    Doesn't matter, grease it all. Firstly, you don't want anything seize in there as a result of
    corrosion. Secondly, if greasing the cartridge bearings on the outside results in a better bearing
    than the actual cartridge bearing, is that so bad?? If it starts to bind, the real bearing will
    start to work. Don't worry, lightly grease the outside and the cups to prevent corrosion and slap
    it together!

    Cheers,

    Scott..