Cane Creek C-2 headset install - where to put grease?

Gregory Cole

Guest
I'm installing a Cane Creek C-2 headset and I'm wondering where to put grease. It has 2 cartridge
bearings that I cleaned and regreased the insides of (the individual bearings insides). Now I'm
wondering if I need grease on the outside of the cartidge bearing, between the headset upper and
lower cups, or do I leave them dry so that the unit rotates completely on the inner bearings? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

"Gregory Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm installing a Cane Creek C-2 headset and I'm wondering where to put grease. It has 2 cartridge
> bearings that I cleaned and regreased the insides of (the individual bearings insides). Now I'm
> wondering if I need grease on the outside of the cartidge bearing, between the headset upper and
> lower cups, or do I leave them dry so that the unit rotates completely on the inner bearings? Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg

Doesn't matter, grease it all. Firstly, you don't want anything seize in there as a result of
corrosion. Secondly, if greasing the cartridge bearings on the outside results in a better bearing
than the actual cartridge bearing, is that so bad?? If it starts to bind, the real bearing will
start to work. Don't worry, lightly grease the outside and the cups to prevent corrosion and slap
it together!

Cheers,

Scott..