Cannondale quality control?

amdzim

Aug 19, 2003
LBS told me that, although a well-designed bike, Cannondale has had quality control problems. Claims that miss-aligned rear triangles have caused stress on the wheels that, in turn, have caused spokes to break and pull out. He says Mavic is well aware of the problem. This guy was not out to knock Cannondale. I was asking him for advice on bikes, he didn’t volunteer the information, and actually recommended a bike he didn’t carry, along with one he did. Anybody know anything about this?

Originally posted by amdzim
LBS told me that, although a well-designed bike, Cannondale has had quality control problems. Claims that miss-aligned rear triangles have caused stress on the wheels that, in turn, have caused spokes to break and pull out. He says Mavic is well aware of the problem. This guy was not out to knock Cannondale. I was asking him for advice on bikes, he didn’t volunteer the information, and actually recommended a bike he didn’t carry, along with one he did. Anybody know anything about this?
Does this guy sell cdales or is cdale the competition?

Seems it would have to be really bad to cause wheel damage, so I doubt C'dale is at fault. Maybe an excuse for a wheel and/or spoke problem?

Originally posted by DesertRider
Seems it would have to be really bad to cause wheel damage, so I doubt C'dale is at fault. Maybe an excuse for a wheel and/or spoke problem?
I bet the guys at Mavic and the guys at CDale could really go head-to-head over this one.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Does this guy sell cdales or is cdale the competition?

The competition--one of three bikes I have been looking at. He sells Giant but he also said that Trek is a great bike, can't go wrong with it, and he doesn't sell it. His mechanic also said they had real problems with Cannondale. What I don't know if this is before or after Cannondale reorgainized and if the reorganization solved any problem, if one actually existed.

I was just dealing with my LBS (In my new Neighborhood) and he, although no longer carrying C'dale, loves the bikes but hates what the new Corporate C'dale is doing.

He stated they are much more difficult to deal with on warrantee claims. He used to be able to fix the problem immediately and then deal with C’dale afterwards for reimbursement or a swap out. But then he had to wait for rep to come out to him and approve the fix. Factory Reps come around about every six weeks, so you could be in for a long wait. And the rep's are now financially connected to the warrantee end, so they push back as much as they can. So the LBS dropped them.

He isn't the first dealer to tell me that C'dale’s reorganization is forcing big changes throughout their business. I can only wonder if the production line is under the same stresses as the sales folks.

I am to say the least, disheartened to see these developments. This same dealer is able to deliver to me an 04' Trek 5200 for $2250 out the door. Amdzim, you have been pricing these, is this as good a deal as I think it is? what numbers have you been getting on the 5200?

C'Rider
Possibly becoming T'Rider

(I knew someone with Cannondale in his or her screename was going to show up sooner or later)

Originally posted by CannondaleRider
I was just dealing with my LBS (In my new Neighborhood) and he, although no longer carrying C'dale, loves the bikes but hates what the new Corporate C'dale is doing.

He stated they are much more difficult to deal with on warrantee claims. He used to be able to fix the problem immediately and then deal with C’dale afterwards for reimbursement or a swap out. But then he had to wait for rep to come out to him and approve the fix. Factory Reps come around about every six weeks, so you could be in for a long wait. And the rep's are now financially connected to the warrantee end, so they push back as much as they can. So the LBS dropped them.

He isn't the first dealer to tell me that C'dale’s reorganization is forcing big changes throughout their business. I can only wonder if the production line is under the same stresses as the sales folks.

I am to say the least, disheartened to see these developments.
This same dealer is able to deliver to me an 04' Trek 5200 for $2250 out the door. Amdzim, you have been pricing these, is this as good a deal as I think it is? what numbers have you been getting on the 5200?

C'Rider
Possibly becoming T'Rider

I think it is a very good deal. I live in Oakland, California and have priced the bikes around the San Francisco Bay Area. They are almost always tagged right around $2,500 which, the dealers are quick to point out, is less than MSRP and includes shipping and their "building" the bike. However, I haven't gotten to the point of trying to see if there is really a better price.

BTW, I am also looking at the Giant TCR Composite 1. Have you looked at that?

Around here Cannondales have a good rep for strong frames with good quality control. Really doubt the story about rear triangle misalignment. If it was that bad, believe you'd notice it immediately on the test ride. Of course, losing the quality reputation is the last thing a struggling bike company would want to do. Word-of-mouth reputation counts for a lot in this business.

Concerning warranty claims, someone posted the link to the Cannondale manual online which makes it clear that the new CAAD 7 are not considered or warranted as lifetime frames. This is a responsible statement from the manufacturer of any 2.5 lb frame. But, I suspect a lot of LBS dealers are still telling customers don't worry about our frame, it's got a lifetime guaranty against wearout.

Didn't mean to single out Cannondale; Trek probably has the same warranty issues concerning frames broken from fatigue.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Around here Cannondales have a good rep for strong frames with good quality control. Really doubt the story about rear triangle misalignment. If it was that bad, believe you'd notice it immediately on the test ride. Of course, losing the quality reputation is the last thing a struggling bike company would want to do. Word-of-mouth reputation counts for a lot in this business.

Concerning warranty claims, someone posted the link to the Cannondale manual online which makes it clear that the new CAAD 7 are not considered or warranted as lifetime frames. This is a responsible statement from the manufacturer of any 2.5 lb frame. But, I suspect a lot of LBS dealers are still telling customers don't worry about our frame, it's got a lifetime guaranty against wearout.

Didn't mean to single out Cannondale; Trek probably has the same warranty issues concerning frames broken from fatigue.
Dan

Actually the CAAD 7 frame is not treated any differently according to the warranty on the web site. Normal wear and tear is exempted from the warranty on all frames. This is pretty much true for all bike manufacturers. Cannondale is a little different than some in that they expressly state that "fatigue" is simply a sign of normal wear and tear. Cannondale is also different that they have a specific supplement for the CAAD 7 frame that says the frame is intended to give an agressive rider a racing edge for only a year or two and that the frame may be a dead duck after that. They still warrant the frame the same, but they are clearly making a case for claiming that normal wear and tear will show up after two years and your "lifetime" warranty is worthless after that.

Nothing is a true lifetime warranty in the sense that the frame will be replaced no matter what for as along as you own it.

In any event, I really want to like the Cannondale R2000 as it is less expensive than the other bikes I am looking at and is speced way better when you compare the wheels. But, I was also a little concerned about their CAAD 7 disclaimer, and I do find the quality control issue giving me a pause.

Isn't it old news that aluminum frames, under heavy riding, are 5 year to fatique life frames anyway?

All this CAAD7 "one season wonder" talk is a bit baffling to me, I thought it'd be obvious -- lightweight racing frames are built for racing, not for a life-long workhorse. People don't buy Ferraris to pop down to the shops, after all...

ALL light frames are pushing the boundaries of the weight/longevity compromise.. Cannondale just happen to put their realistic expectations in black and white. Some other manufacturers do something similar by only providing one year warranties.

My main gripe with Cannondale's recent offering is that if you like their frames but want something a little more durable, it's difficult to NOT get a CAAD7 frame unless you buy their low end models.

Well that and the new paint schemes are beyond ugly :p

Originally posted by dhk

Dan
None warrant fatigue,but some are alot easier to deal with than others,and some will replace frames that they aren't responsible for just for PR.

So if a four year old frame cracks, they can refuse to honor the warranty by calling it fatique related? I thought that's the whole point of a warranty.

Originally posted by DesertRider
So if a four year old frame cracks, they can refuse to honor the warranty by calling it fatique related? I thought that's the whole point of a warranty.

Right, you're getting only a "limited" warranty, in most cases. If you read the warranty, most only cover cracks due to a manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship. If the warranty states it doesn't cover failures due to fatigue, or normal wear and tear, then it's not covered.

Not sure the LBS make this clear when people ask about the warranty on the frame.....they just say "lifetime", or "if you ever have a problem with the frame, bring it back".

Of course, the manufacturers know that 95% of buyers of these frames aren't pedal-stomping racers doing 20K per year. The guys that do break frames probably know what they're getting, or they deal with a custom builder.

For a recreational rider like me doing 2-3K per year at low-wattage power, I'd think any these frames ought to last a decade.

Dan

The competition--one of three bikes I have been looking at. He sells Giant but he also said that Trek is a great bike, can't go wrong with it, and he doesn't sell it. His mechanic also said they had real problems with Cannondale. What I don't know if this is before or after Cannondale reorgainized and if the reorganization solved any problem, if one actually existed.
The reorginization had nothing to do with their bike line. Quality and sales were fine and still are. I bought an R2000 a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. The problem was due to an acquistion of a motorcross line that caused a financial drain. The company has since been boughtout by Pinacle

Actually the CAAD 7 frame is not treated any differently according to the warranty on the web site. Normal wear and tear is exempted from the warranty on all frames. This is pretty much true for all bike manufacturers. Cannondale is a little different than some in that they expressly state that "fatigue" is simply a sign of normal wear and tear. Cannondale is also different that they have a specific supplement for the CAAD 7 frame that says the frame is intended to give an agressive rider a racing edge for only a year or two and that the frame may be a dead duck after that. They still warrant the frame the same, but they are clearly making a case for claiming that normal wear and tear will show up after two years and your "lifetime" warranty is worthless after that.

Nothing is a true lifetime warranty in the sense that the frame will be replaced no matter what for as along as you own it.

In any event, I really want to like the Cannondale R2000 as it is less expensive than the other bikes I am looking at and is speced way better when you compare the wheels. But, I was also a little concerned about their CAAD 7 disclaimer, and I do find the quality control issue giving me a pause.
You will be hard pressed to find a bike spec'd out as well at the $2400 price point. Great frame,ultegra and Kysyrum sl's! Are you kidding me!!!!