carbon handlebars

bobbyOCR said:
The only way to accurately and precisely test them would be in a lab. Using a human(s) to test these would yield very inconsistent results.
Well, another angle for this question is if it makes no difference to the rider, than what's the point of all the lab data?

As much as human test subjects are biological systems that's subjected to natural variations, but there are study designs that can extract objective data from such a cohort.

alienator said:
As for damping, I'll stand by the claim that the inhomogenaeity of the carbon fiber matrix will tend to make it damp low amplitude, high or very high frequency vibrations. Exactly where in the frequency spectrum "high" and "very high" fall will depend on the bars, the riders physiology (i.e., his/ her sensitivity to said vibes), and other such things.
+1.

Also, one of the appeals of carbon fiber composites versus any similarly-shaped metal structure is that the "Q" of its resonant frequency will be much higher...which is to say the bandwidth is wider and the amplitude at resonance is lower. IOW, it "rings" less. This is why carbon aficianados refer to it as an "inert" material, & carbon detractors call it a "dead" or "wooden" material. It doesn't go "Tiiinnnggg" when you tap it, it goes "Tik". The *duration* of any vibrationally-induced excitation in a carbon structure is shorter than that of a steel or aluminum structure...hence all the talk about carbon's "damping" properties.

That's also why carbon is used to make wonderfully neutral -- or horrendously characterless -- musical (stringed) instruments.

maybe I'm doing something wrong but as long as I grip the bar loosely (hoods, drops, tops, whatever,) I feel no vibes whatsoever 'I think the skin on my hands absorbs the road vibes kind of like a natural gel'
so maybe not holding the handle bars in a death grip is a valid alternative to fancy CF handlebars and squishy wishy gel gloves.

as for the bling factor, who really checks out other riders handlebars anyway?

zigoat said:
maybe I'm doing something wrong but as long as I grip the bar loosely (hoods, drops, tops, whatever,) I feel no vibes whatsoever 'I think the skin on my hands absorbs the road vibes kind of like a natural gel'
so maybe not holding the handle bars in a death grip is a valid alternative to fancy CF handlebars and squishy wishy gel gloves.

as for the bling factor, who really checks out other riders handlebars anyway?
This also relates to position. With a big saddle-bar drop its very hard not to put weight on your hands, also depending upon dimensions of arms and torso, but it will generally mean you are supporting yourself with your hands/back/butt to gain a more comfortable position, instead of just butt or just hands.