Carbon seatpost, any recommendations?

xfactor

Feb 6, 2007
Looking to buy a cabon seatpost to replace an aero carbon seatpost that came with my bike. I recently purchased an Easton ec90 that was installed at a Trek Store and it slid way down on my first ride. I took it back because it scratched the hell out of it. I've since read a number of reviews on the ec90 and slipping seems to be a frequent problem. Looking to find a dependable carbon seatpost that won't slip. Any recommendations?

I doubt it's the brand of carbon post that's causing the problem. All of them seem to have the same sort of glossy gel-coat (or whatever it's called) surface.

Assuming the fit is correct you might want to try some of the assembly paste/gel that's available specifically for the purpose of increasing the 'grip' on carbon conponents.

BTW, try Campagnolo...good stuff.

CAMPYBOB said:
I doubt it's the brand of carbon post that's causing the problem. All of them seem to have the same sort of glossy gel-coat (or whatever it's called) surface.

Assuming the fit is correct you might want to try some of the assembly paste/gel that's available specifically for the purpose of increasing the 'grip' on carbon conponents.

BTW, try Campagnolo...good stuff.
I've read about that compound. Sounds like FSA includes a small package of it when you purchase a carbon seatpost from them. My LBS carries the Campagnolo Record and Chorus seatposts and I actually like the way they look as compared to the Easton.

I've been on a Chorus CF seatpost since June and I've had no problems so far. Mine is in a Ti frame and i actually greased the seatpost (probably much to the horror of the 'experts')...no slippage whatsoever.

CAMPYBOB said:
I've been on a Chorus CF seatpost since June and I've had no problems so far. Mine is in a Ti frame and i actually greased the seatpost (probably much to the horror of the 'experts')...no slippage whatsoever.
Does yours have a setback? I probably need a 25mm setback.

It's the standard 2006 Chorus model. It does have some setback to it, but not a lot. My seat is slid all the way to the rear of the clamping area on the rails and it's just right for my position on this bike.

I just looked at my bike...not an easy thing to do when it's 24° F and snowing!

The front clamp of the Chorus post is just about tangant with rear of the carbon tube, so it does offer some setback.

CAMPYBOB said:
I just looked at my bike...not an easy thing to do when it's 24° F and snowing!

The front clamp of the Chorus post is just about tangant with rear of the carbon tube, so it does offer some setback.
Hey, thanks for braving the cold!

I am going to try a Trans-X for a "first" Carbon seat post in my next project bike. :)

I have a Bontrager X Lite CF seatpost and have 0 problems with it. Highly recommend it. Also comes in a 25 mm setback or 5 mm setback.

Went to LBS and they measured the diameter of the seat tube of my frame, which measured 30.9mm. My bike came with a 27.2mm seatpost that had a shim sleeve over it, which is common on Giant frames. The LBS recommended doing away with the shim and ordering a seatpost closer in diameter to the seat tube of my bike frame. Only possible down side to this is that aesthetically my seatpost will look somewhat thicker in diameter than all the 27.2mm seatposts out there. From what I've read though, it makes sense on my frame to get a somewhat larger diameter seatpost than a 27.2mm. Anyone out there using a seatpost larger than 27.2mm?

pretty much most (many at least) of the new bikes i've seen in the last year or two that are CF have 31.6's on them.

i've just built a de rosa with a 31.6 on it and while yes it looks a little thicker, it looks basically like umm ... a seat post. i actually like the chunkier appearance, but ymmv.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
pretty much most (many at least) of the new bikes i've seen in the last year or two that are CF have 31.6's on them.

i've just built a de rosa with a 31.6 on it and while yes it looks a little thicker, it looks basically like umm ... a seat post. i actually like the chunkier appearance, but ymmv.

--brett
Glad to hear that this size isn't uncommon on road bikes. My bike came stock with a carbon aero seatpost that I been using for three years now; glad to finally switch to a round seatpost.

Ive had plenty dont bother with CF go for a thomson masterpiece, much nicer

xfactor said:
Looking to buy a cabon seatpost to replace an aero carbon seatpost that came with my bike. I recently purchased an Easton ec90 that was installed at a Trek Store and it slid way down on my first ride. I took it back because it scratched the hell out of it. I've since read a number of reviews on the ec90 and slipping seems to be a frequent problem. Looking to find a dependable carbon seatpost that won't slip. Any recommendations?