Carbon versus Alu. stems

franco1

May 17, 2004
I've got two (2) Giants bicycles, one is the TCR (ONCE) for training and the other is the Composite (for racing only)

My question to you all out there is that on the TCR (ONCE) I've got the ITM Millennium (Material Ergal 7075 T6) stem which weights 135g and on the Composite bike I've got the Millennium Carbon which weights 145g.

Being a race bike I wanted it as light as possible, now should I swop the two stems around or should I leave it as the maybe the carbon doesnt flex and it responds better on a sprint or on a climb.

What I trying to say is there other benefits of the carbon stem whereby I should rather leave it on.

Stems are designed to not move, so I can't see any benefit to a carbon stem if your aluminum one is lighter.

ganderctr said:
Stems are designed to not move, so I can't see any benefit to a carbon stem if your aluminum one is lighter.

Thanks for the reply, sure the carbon one looks nicer with the carbon bike as I've got a carbon seat post and cranks, but yes the handelbars will be the ones flexing not the stem.

So its 10g differance now its just a matter of not being lazy and swopping the 2 around.

I'm converting the older frame to a time trial bike for the S.African Champ's in March. So I also want to get that bike lighter too as I tried to make it as heavy as posible for training.

Forgive my rudeness, but 10g!!???!!!??? Are you kidding???!!!! :p :p

If you wanna worry about weight, handlebar tape weighs about 45g! I even saw a couple of Tour de France guys ride the mountain time-trial with only about a third of the bars covered in tape.

If you're "enthusiastic" about weight savings, then check out the "listings" on:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

It's interesting that you say the carbon post doesn't move, because many people claim they use a carbon post because they DO move, and therefore make their bikes more comfortable:)

Time-trialing is ALL about areodynamics -- not weight -- unless the time-trial is all up hill. Most flat stage time-trial bikes are relatively heavy because they have heavy disc wheels, and larger, flat, aero-tubed frames.

My opinion is that carbon posts are a waste of money becuase they are very easily damaged, and are usually not much lighter than aluminum -- but they do look COOOOL :D