carbon versus alloy cranks

Gosseries

Aug 26, 2004
apart from price and weight saving, are there other reasons to continue using alloy crank arms?
or in other words, if money is of little matter, are there good reasons to buy carbon cranks ( not considering the win in weight)?
user_online.gif

Gosseries said:
or in other words, if money is of little matter, are there good reasons to buy carbon cranks ....
Bling and poseur' points.Both priceless.

boudreaux said:
Bling and poseur' points.Both priceless.

Unfortunately, true. Same reasons I went with a carbon one when I needed a new seatpost. :eek:

Crankarms are the most visible place carbon can be utilized to little or no benefit. I wouldn't rule them out if you're considering them, but as meehs and boudreaux indicated, just don't expect to end up with anything other than a slightly (if at all) lighter, more expensive-looking bike.

Probably fun to have on the right bike, if you feel like dishing out for them.

lokstah said:
Crankarms are the most visible place carbon can be utilized to little or no benefit. I wouldn't rule them out if you're considering them, but as meehs and boudreaux indicated, just don't expect to end up with anything other than a slightly (if at all) lighter, more expensive-looking bike.

Probably fun to have on the right bike, if you feel like dishing out for them.
Agree. But, I really liked the look of the FSA Team Carbon Pro, and wanted the CF look to go with carbon rear stays. Weight was about the same as the alloy FSA setup, so it's just looks. An extra $100 on bling-bling got the cool look.

Only possible drawback I've found is that you can scrape or scratch the CF crankarms easier than alloy, but same thing is true of CF forks of course.