Carrying stuff on commute on Giro

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Glenn Hoetker, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Hi all. I have a Giro, which I dearly love, and am trying to figure out how to commute with it. I
    need to be able to carry a reasonable collection of books/papers (college professor with grading to
    do at home), lunch and perhaps a change of clothes.

    This is my first bent (heck, with serious biking since high school), so I'm a little at sea with
    even the lingo of racks, panniers, etc., much less their regular merits.

    What would more experienced folks suggest? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Hi all. I have a Giro, which I dearly love, and am trying to figure out how to commute with it. I
    > need to be able to carry a reasonable collection of books/papers (college professor with grading
    > to do at home), lunch and perhaps a change of clothes.
    >
    > This is my first bent (heck, with serious biking since high school), so I'm a little at sea with
    > even the lingo of racks, panniers, etc., much less their regular merits.
    >
    > What would more experienced folks suggest? Thanks!

    Here is my Giro set up for touring/commuting:

    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

    And here it is before I added the X-Eyed Midship Rack. http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Giro.cfm

    I have HPVelotechnik fenders from the HostelShoppe,
    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=987104104 (you do not need the $50
    Bacchetta kit)

    A RANS HT rear Rack http://www.ransbikes.com/Racks.htm

    and a Fastback Systems seat bag and hydration. http://www.fastbacksystem.com/fastbacksystem.htm

    The MidShip Rack from X-eyed should be available next month. http://www.bacchettabikes.com

    I use a Topeak Cellphone Pack strapped under the Monotube for a tool kit.
    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=985990483

    Normally, I carry only one Pannier under the seat but I can manage four now if I need the storage. I
    carry work clothes, lunch and shower stuff.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    And besides the 1200 cubic yards of space on Cletus' bike already, you could add the Rans large seatback bag (fits on my Giro nicely). It is made to just unclip and carry with you if you want (it's like a large cordura briefcase).

    BTW, excellent choice in bikes. Watch that pivot bolt on the steerer though, it can work loose. (Loc-Tite can fix that)

    R2

  4. Daybiker

    Daybiker Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi all. I have a Giro, which I dearly love, and am trying to figure out how to commute with it.
    > > I need to be able to carry a reasonable collection of books/papers (college professor with
    > > grading to do at home), lunch and perhaps a change of clothes.
    > >
    > > This is my first bent (heck, with serious biking since high school), so I'm a little at sea with
    > > even the lingo of racks, panniers, etc., much less their regular merits.
    > >
    > > What would more experienced folks suggest? Thanks!
    > >
    > Here is my Giro set up for touring/commuting:
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
    >
    > And here it is before I added the X-Eyed Midship Rack. http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Giro.cfm
    >
    > I have HPVelotechnik fenders from the HostelShoppe,
    > http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=987104104 (you do not need the $50
    > Bacchetta kit)
    >
    > A RANS HT rear Rack http://www.ransbikes.com/Racks.htm
    >
    > and a Fastback Systems seat bag and hydration. http://www.fastbacksystem.com/fastbacksystem.htm
    >
    > The MidShip Rack from X-eyed should be available next month. http://www.bacchettabikes.com
    >
    > I use a Topeak Cellphone Pack strapped under the Monotube for a tool kit.
    > http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=985990483
    >
    > Normally, I carry only one Pannier under the seat but I can manage four now if I need the storage.
    > I carry work clothes, lunch and shower stuff.

    Boy....that is a great looking bike and touring gear Cletus! Have you had time to take her out
    on tour yet?

  5. In article <[email protected]>, grhodes1 @cox.net says...
    > Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Here is my Giro set up for touring/commuting:
    > >
    > > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

    > Boy....that is a great looking bike and touring gear Cletus! Have you had time to take her out
    > on tour yet?

    It is going on it's first self-contained tour this Spring. If I can work out the Logistics, I may do
    the MS-150 Self-Contained.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Mike Warner

    Mike Warner Guest

    R2D2 wrote:

    > it's like a large cordura briefcase

    I don't know, guy. That sounds awfully heavy. And that's the main thing I have against all these
    "milspec" bags. They look great, but they're overkill. I just went down to a surplus store and
    bought myself a milspec laundry bag. I put a grommet in each side along the seam. I hang the bag
    over the back of the seat, clipping it to the seat with large binder clips. I run a thin bungee
    chord behind the seat stays clipped into the grommets.

    Works great and it's light.

    Replace "crap" with "warnerm" in my email addr

  7. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > It is going on it's first self-contained tour this Spring. If I can work out the Logistics, I may
    > do the MS-150 Self-Contained.

    Cletus,

    Have you considered putting an S&S coupler on your Giro and flying with it.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > It is going on it's first self-contained tour this Spring. If I can work out the Logistics, I
    > > may do the MS-150 Self-Contained.
    >
    > Cletus,
    >
    > Have you considered putting an S&S coupler on your Giro and flying with it.
    >
    > Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    AFAIK, S&S couplers only work on Triangulated frames and only fit round tubulars. The Giro
    has neither.

    My Giro flying is limited to speeding down the highway with my butt 21" off the g

    - Bellaire, TX USA -