Ceremony makes Pereiro official winner of 2006 TdF

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
MADRID, Spain (AP) — Oscar Pereiro finally got his hands on the
winner's yellow jersey from the 2006 Tour de France on Monday. The
Spaniard moved up from second to first after the disqualification of
Floyd Landis for doping.

"Finally, we have a winner and it's Oscar," Tour director Christian
Prudhomme said. "Oscar, you have won the Tour out on the road."

The International Cycling Union formally declared Pereiro the winner
on Sept. 21, one day after a U.S. arbitration panel voted 2-1 to
remove the title from Landis for using synthetic testosterone during
the Tour. It's the first time in the 105-year history of the race that
a winner has been stripped of the title.

"I have the feeling of arriving at the end of a thriller, after having
spent 14 months thinking about it and not being able to concentrate as
I should have on my job," Pereiro said. "It is essentially a kind of
release."

Pereiro stood on the top step of a podium with his winner's jersey —
not along the Champs-Elysees as a normal champion would, but in
offices of Spain's Sport Ministry.

Read it at
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5itYBtiRFp1GLhMiNyHYc37r-SCMQD8S9RFDO0

J. Spaceman

In article <[email protected]>,
Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:

> From the article:
> MADRID, Spain (AP) — Oscar Pereiro finally got his hands on the
> winner's yellow jersey from the 2006 Tour de France on Monday. The
> Spaniard moved up from second to first after the disqualification of
> Floyd Landis for doping.
>
> "Finally, we have a winner and it's Oscar," Tour director Christian
> Prudhomme said. "Oscar, you have won the Tour out on the road."
>
> The International Cycling Union formally declared Pereiro the winner
> on Sept. 21, one day after a U.S. arbitration panel voted 2-1 to
> remove the title from Landis for using synthetic testosterone during
> the Tour. It's the first time in the 105-year history of the race that
> a winner has been stripped of the title.
>
> "I have the feeling of arriving at the end of a thriller, after having
> spent 14 months thinking about it and not being able to concentrate as
> I should have on my job," Pereiro said. "It is essentially a kind of
> release."
>
> Pereiro stood on the top step of a podium with his winner's jersey —
> not along the Champs-Elysees as a normal champion would, but in
> offices of Spain's Sport Ministry.
>
> Read it at
> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5itYBtiRFp1GLhMiNyHYc37r-SCMQD8S9RFDO0

One almost hope Floyd's CAS appeal succeeds purely for the comedy value.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing