Chain Problems

"Gary K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

> Sachs are excellent.

Are these now SRAM?

hippy

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:30:21 +0800, [email protected] (Gary K)
wrote:

>Gags <drgagnon@nospam_ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
>> they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
>> tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
>> as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
>> the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
>> from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
>> said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
>> with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
>> like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??
>>
>> On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
>> years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
>> cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
>> since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
>> that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
>> have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
>> spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
>> susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????
>>
>> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>>

>Sachs are excellent.

Sachs 3 speed hub, with backpedal brake. A fantastic creation!!!! Oh
yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
---
DFM

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote:

> Sachs 3 speed hub, with backpedal brake. A fantastic
> creation!!!! Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The SRAM/Sachs S7 internal 7-speed with cable-operated drum brake
is pretty good too. I bought mine mail-order from the UK last
year. Over 5000 km up on it, and it's going like a dream (on its
second chain).

Only trouble is that when I eventually need parts, I'm going to
have to import them myself too. But I've got a manual, and parts
list with part numbers. At least it takes readily-available
generic 3-splined sprockets.

John

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Gary K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

> > Sachs are excellent.

> Are these now SRAM?

I'm just behind the times, thats all.
Install the chain, never breaks, stretched only 1/64" in 7,000km. Who
knows when it'll wear out..

GK