Chain reaction on the BBC web site

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

| David Martin wrote:
| >
| > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4719015.stm
| >
| > Chain reaction
| > By Tom Geoghegan
| > BBC News Magazine
| >

| My comment to them:
|
| "You yet again make a great play of presenting cycling as a dangerous
| activity and yet I see you do not comment that the data in the box shows
| cycling to be 1.4 times safer than walking in London. Do you think
| walking in London is exceptionally dangerous; do you run articles on the
| dangers of walking in London; do you run articles on the importance of
| wearing special protective equipment and high visibility clothing while
| walking in London. If not why not? For some reason people always seem
| to want pick on cyclists as being at uncommon risk."

Cycling is the mode where skill contributes the most to the safety,
IMHO. I think people are scared of other people getting it wrong, and
the media loves to exploit fear.

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> Simonb wrote:

>>>Nor Brazilian enough.

>> Human rights police shooting statistics show that it is a lot safer
>> being Brazilian in London, than in Rio.

> If I heard correctly on Radio 4, 15 fatal shootings a month by police
> in Sao Paulo.

So that makes it all right then.

Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
[update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

congokid wrote:

<http://www.congokid.demon.co.uk/photos/bbctoday.jpg>

<shedde>
Cloff!
</shedde>

If you are choking on an ice cube, simply pour a jug of boiling water
down your throat and presto! The blockage is almost instantly removed.

[email protected] wrote:

> Reconsider then. The police death squads (sic) are police Taser squads
> now. If you are lucky you might get your bike dynamo recharged as well
> as some physical stimulation when they zap you.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. Yes, they have Tasers, but the ones who are
properly tooled-up are hiding just behind the door, and they haven't had any
dinner yet...

If you are choking on an ice cube, simply pour a jug of boiling water
down your throat and presto! The blockage is almost instantly removed.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:11:14 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 27 Jul 2005 07:22:55 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>I don't think you really fit the profile of a target though. You are
>>not young,

>Correct.
>
>>islamic looking,

>Neither was the man who blew up the offices in Oklahoma City.
>
>>nor prone to jumping over tube barriers.

>It remains to be seen whether the victim on Friday did this. His
>family say that he passed through the barriers in the usual way,
>using something called a ticket.

Even if he did jump the barrier he didn't deserve to be shot. And if
he did jump the barrier he may have had good reason: a bunch of rough
looking men were following him and he wanted to get away from them.