Chamois butter or not

jvanoonk

Jul 16, 2003
Chamois butter or not My wife and some of my friends use chamois butter, and lots of it. I have never had a need - no chafing. I think seeing poll results on this would be interesting, since it doesn't normally come up in conversation.

jvanoonk said:
Chamois butter or not My wife and some of my friends use chamois butter, and lots of it. I have never had a need - no chafing. I think seeing poll results on this would be interesting, since it doesn't normally come up in conversation.
Not on short training rides, but on the longer rides where I'm in the saddle for more than an hour or two I use Chamois Butt'r, thick hand lotion, or vaseline. Found it really does help with the chafing issues on an all-day ride.

On the Lance Armstrong OLN TV special this summer, Lance was filmed applying a heavy gob of Assos cream to his shorts, and said he never leaves home without it.

Does anybody remember a TdF stage on TV some years ago where the team doctor pulled up to next to a rider, pulled down his shorts, and hit him with a big glob while the cameras were rolling?

You should use chamois cream (butter?) on every training ride. Don't use Vaseline, it doesn't rinse out of the chamois well.

ed073 said:
You should use chamois cream (butter?) on every training ride. Don't use Vaseline, it doesn't rinse out of the chamois well.
I second that. Hard enough to wash vaseline off your backside after the ride! The chamois butter is much easier to get off, and out of your shorts. I use chamois butt'r on any ride over 50 miles.

I have never used chamois creme on my shorts but I do use diaper rash creme on those sensitive hiny areas that get rubbed the wrong way no matter how much attention I pay to seat-shorts fitment. It sounds a bit odd sure, but it is a lot cheaper and personally effective.

dhk said:
Not on short training rides, but on the longer rides where I'm in the saddle for more than an hour or two I use Chamois Butt'r, thick hand lotion, or vaseline. Found it really does help with the chafing issues on an all-day ride.

On the Lance Armstrong OLN TV special this summer, Lance was filmed applying a heavy gob of Assos cream to his shorts, and said he never leaves home without it.

Does anybody remember a TdF stage on TV some years ago where the team doctor pulled up to next to a rider, pulled down his shorts, and hit him with a big glob while the cameras were rolling?

The Assos stuff is pricey but out of this world. Used to get bad saddle sores when using Chamois Buttr, but have not had the slightes blemish since switching. Besides, the tingly feeling from the wintergreen in the Assos cream is kind of fun.

renoster said:
The Assos stuff is pricey but out of this world. Used to get bad saddle sores when using Chamois Buttr, but have not had the slightes blemish since switching. Besides, the tingly feeling from the wintergreen in the Assos cream is kind of fun.

I started to get a saddle sore and one of the people I ride with suggested some Chamois cream. I ended up buying some stuff from bluesteel off their website. Great stuff, also their after ride was is very useful after a long ride where you have to drive home. :D

jcjordan said:
I started to get a saddle sore and one of the people I ride with suggested some Chamois cream. I ended up buying some stuff from bluesteel off their website. Great stuff, also their after ride was is very useful after a long ride where you have to drive home. :D

Blue Steel is excellent.

ed073 said:
Blue Steel is excellent.

The chamois cream and after ride wash are great, but the wax strips are not as effective as i would have liked; looks like i stick to shaving :eek:

jvanoonk said:

G'Day, jvanoonk, Mate I read your comment with much interest, its not something that people talk about is it. Can you imagine the queue for the cinema, the big guy standing behind you looking bored, start up a conversation with "Have you ever had a problem with boils on your crotch"?

I have ridden more years and miles that I care to tell and have never used anything to lubricate my "deri air" or put on the Chami'. Since I was a mere slip of a lad back in the dark days of crispy bacon just after the war?

As far as chafing is concerned if that occurs it's probably because of an erroneous position on the bike? (technical term I read somewhere)

If the saddle position is too high and you squirm on the seat then lower the saddle position, so that "Only Your Legs Move" not the "Whole Torso", which should not move side to side while peddaling.

If someone suffers from sadle boils it's usually because of lack of skin cleanliness, (don't hit the roof, but bacteria abound in the nether regions) now having said that Nics, (shorts) should be washed after every ride not once a week or once every couple of days. Everyone should have at least two if not three pairs, I have, the initial outlay might be expensive but by rotating them, they last longer and that's ecconomy in my book?

The sort of synthetic chami' you get in shorts today will stand a machine wash in warm water, don't use strong detergent or it will only add to the problem, basically because of the stuff the manufacturers put in the washing powders (you don't want to know"what").

What I'm about to write, say, might look or sound like advertising but, I always use "AMWAY SA8" detergent liquid, half a table spoon in my kit when I come home from my ride does the job, keeps the colours bright in the trade shirts too.

It is the best for being non alergenic, and a fine product believe me, readily available from your local friendly "AMWAY AGENT" look them up in the phone book in your area, there's bound to be one and like me you'll never look back except to see who you've dropped while climbing the mountain.

The other answer to saddle boils is Vitamin "A", if your diet is defficient in that vitamin then take a supplement and the problem will disappear as if by magic?

All this I say because of the problem of saddle boils was my worst nightmare, as a young man, (late teens), when in Holland. I was billeting with a Dutch family, almost my second Parents, and the Father said why do you put up with this my son, it is not neccessary.

He looked at my bike and my position thereon and said, let's just lower your saddle. He also said take "Cod Liver Oil" which has both Vitamin "A & D". In those days it was a liquid in a bottle and a teaspoon of it tasted foul unless you pegged your nose and had a sweet to eat after it. Apart from being my mentor he was a good bike rider who said his carreer was cut short with the second world war.

From tha day foreward I have never had the problem, also it stopped me suffering with "Sinus Colds" when training and riding in winter.

If that helps anyone out there in cyberspace then good, your welcome?

Apart from that every thing in my garden is good, the weather here is very hot 33C today with a hot Westerly wind blowing. Looking foreward to the Southerly change forecast for a couple of days from now. The ride today was a bit of a pain, but air conditioned, the faster I went the better it felt, the problem was, when I stopped, it look like my skin had sprung a major leak?

Call a plumber someone?

Ok that's enough for now, keep the wheels turning?TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
. . . He looked at my bike and my position thereon and said, let's just lower your saddle. He also said take "Cod Liver Oil" which has both Vitamin "A & D". In those days it was a liquid in a bottle and a teaspoon of it tasted foul unless you pegged your nose and had a sweet to eat after it. Apart from being my mentor he was a good bike rider who said his carreer was cut short with the second world war.

From tha day foreward I have never had the problem, also it stopped me suffering with "Sinus Colds" when training and riding in winter. . .
Sounds like some good good advice. One question. How much do you have to lower your saddle in order to stop suffering from "Sinus Colds"? :confused: ;)

well...alrighty...looks like i'll be one of the few girls that step up to the podium and say i slather myself with the stuff 50 miles or over. i've only used chamois butt'r few times cause it was all hubby packed. i usually use "udder butter", it's not that expensive, and my local walmart carries it.
i can't tell you how many times i meet girls on a charity ride, ask if they want some butter, and they look at me like i'm crazy....lol....
needless to say, guess whos asking bout the butter at dinner that night!
cheers guys!

Shreklookalike said:
Sounds like some good good advice. One question. How much do you have to lower your saddle in order to stop suffering from "Sinus Colds"? :confused: ;)

G'day Shreklookalike, I like that one, your a comedian, you sound as though think like me, that's dangerous mate, it's got me into a lot of strife over the years.

In order to over come "Sinus Colds" the saddle has to be low enough so you don't get wind turbulance up your nose off the front axle? Work that out if you can?

Don't be confused about "Sinus Colds", My trouble used to be from riding into cold winds in early season training, February, March, in Europe was bloody cold, to say the least.

Needless to say the face gets a full blast as you travel through the cold air, in my case, I was told by my mentor that, that was the reason why I kept getting "sinus colds" early season.

Any form of training causes stress on the body and in my case I was susceptible to sinus infections caused by the training. Therefore he suggested taking the cod liver oil to aleviate the problem.

Another remedy was "Brewers Yeast" to overcome the stress, it is the best form of natural Vitamin "B" complex on the planet, I kid you not.

When you get into this subject it gets very complicated, far too complicated to explain in few words, reading books on the subject is the only answer?TBC

CannondaleGirl said:
well...alrighty...looks like i'll be one of the few girls that step up to the podium and say i slather myself with the stuff 50 miles or over. i've only used chamois butt'r few times cause it was all hubby packed. i usually use "udder butter", it's not that expensive, and my local walmart carries it.
i can't tell you how many times i meet girls on a charity ride, ask if they want some butter, and they look at me like i'm crazy....lol....
needless to say, guess whos asking bout the butter at dinner that night!
cheers guys!

Thanks for sharing! Really! I did not know that WalMart carried the stuff, we will have to look. But, I have to ask a question...what do you mean by "hubby packed"? I must be missing something here...

Brian Cotgrove said:
Another remedy was "Brewers Yeast" to overcome the stress, it is the best form of natural Vitamin "B" complex on the planet, I kid you not.

Another Brewers Yeast fan? This stuff is great...my wife and I have been hooked on it for years. It is a great source of B Complex, so it promotes healing and provides me with a great boost of energy. We get the kind that is grown on Molasses, careful to get the flakes, not the powder. Sprinkle on bagels, toast, salad, other stuff. A health food that tastes good too.

Thanks for sharing! Really! I did not know that WalMart carried the stuff, we will have to look. But, I have to ask a question...what do you mean by "hubby packed"? I must be missing something here...
lol...sorry for confusion...we went on a weekend charity ride and i forgot my udder butter, so i borrowed my husband's butt'r.

jvanoonk said:
Another Brewers Yeast fan? This stuff is great...my wife and I have been hooked on it for years. It is a great source of B Complex, so it promotes healing and provides me with a great boost of energy. We get the kind that is grown on Molasses, careful to get the flakes, not the powder. Sprinkle on bagels, toast, salad, other stuff. A health food that tastes good too.

G'day, jvanoonk, yes mate it is great stuff, I just down it with a glass of water, sometimes it's a bit gaggy and stick to the teeth but it's better than running out of go with only ten miles to go? I am only able to buy the powder, for some reason they don't have the flakes here, but the powder does the trick for me? :)

If your interested I can write you a formula for "Tigers Milk", it's a great training drink for early morning rides, when there's no time to cook breakfast.
High protein, high carbohydrates, high energy too and not only that will give you at least 100 kilometres per litre, see if you can get that sort of performance out of petrol in a gas guzzler? :rolleyes:

Like the car if you put the right fuel in the tank, it wil give you the performance? :cool:

Keep up the good work, keep the wheels in motion too? :D TBC

I can seond the udder salve usage: Inexpensive and ever so slightly antiseptic :rolleyes:. If now I only could find one without Propylparaben I'd be one happy camper :mad:

renoster said:

That "tingly" feeling felt like a four alarm fire when I tried it. Made me switch back to the Butt'r.

kennf said:
That "tingly" feeling felt like a four alarm fire when I tried it. Made me switch back to the Butt'r.

Don't buy any of the Belgian ones then!