Chamois butter or not

jvanoonk said:
Chamois butter or not My wife and some of my friends use chamois butter, and lots of it. I have never had a need - no chafing. I think seeing poll results on this would be interesting, since it doesn't normally come up in conversation.
I use it on rides of 50 miles or more and keep a small container of it in my pack to reapply if necessary. I first used it during the MS150 and although I never had chafing before, those bits just generally felt more comfortable.

youm0nt said:
ive never used creme before but where exactly do you put it? :confused:
Well, there's a brand called Butt Butt'r, so that should give some indication. ;)

ed073 said:
all over the chamois. Liberally.
I have a pair of Assos Mille shorts, there isn't a chamois in them to speak of just some synthetic padding (Orange Coloured) can you still use chamois creme on them does anybody know. Have seen some Assos chamois creme for £8.00 sounds a bit pricey to me for a 200ml container?

ed073 said:
all over the chamois. Liberally.
I put it directly on my butt, just to the outside of the sitz bones. I don't need it anywhere else, and don't want to use excess that just has to be washed out of the chamois later. This is a personal-care issue though...just apply as much as you need, where you need it.

leegregory said:
I have a pair of Assos Mille shorts, there isn't a chamois in them to speak of just some synthetic padding (Orange Coloured) can you still use chamois creme on them does anybody know. Have seen some Assos chamois creme for £8.00 sounds a bit pricey to me for a 200ml container?

Agreed.....its not cheap, but then niether were those shorts!!!! :D

Doesn't the Mille have the new, stretchy Assos synthetic chamois? They must be about the most comfy shorts going around.

ed073 said:
Agreed.....its not cheap, but then niether were those shorts!!!! :D

Doesn't the Mille have the new, stretchy Assos synthetic chamois? They must be about the most comfy shorts going around.
Yeah, i've had em 18months and 6000 miles and never looked back, i thought they were a bit steep at the time but they have proved there worth. Over 50 or 60 miles sometimes you don't feel there there at all. I'd recommend it if you can afford them, i had Lusso, Castelli and DeMarchi before and none of them have been as good as these, there a damn good fit as well.

leegregory said:
Yeah, i've had em 18months and 6000 miles and never looked back, i thought they were a bit steep at the time but they have proved there worth. Over 50 or 60 miles sometimes you don't feel there there at all. I'd recommend it if you can afford them, i had Lusso, Castelli and DeMarchi before and none of them have been as good as these, there a damn good fit as well.

You're preaching to the converted here, mate! Assos is far and away the best kit there is.

Are the Assos knicks really worth it. I just got a price list from them and they are all around the $300 mark. At that price they would need to last 3-4 years to be of the same value as say Bioracer or Netti. :confused:

my wife and I are users of "Body Glide". We have not had the opportunity to try the Assos cream, but the Body Glide works great. It comes in a deoderant stick type form and is easy to apply to either your chamois or yourself. We use it every time we ride regardless of distance. We do more mountain biking than road...so we are constantly in and out of the saddle. It makes a world of a difference when compared to not using anything at all.

Body Glide runs about $6-7 a stick.

noxema...lubes great, washes out great. same 'tingling' at assos chamois creme. never had a bit of problems.

I have always found the hardest part is finding a Chamois butter that you like. Living in Adelaide I have not found the limited choice the hardest part. The only ones I have found is ASSOS (which is way to expesive in relation to its effectiveness) and one I found on the net called Blue Steel.

Anyone been able to find anything else?

dhk said:
Not on short training rides, but on the longer rides where I'm in the saddle for more than an hour or two I use Chamois Butt'r, thick hand lotion, or vaseline. Found it really does help with the chafing issues on an all-day ride.

On the Lance Armstrong OLN TV special this summer, Lance was filmed applying a heavy gob of Assos cream to his shorts, and said he never leaves home without it.

Does anybody remember a TdF stage on TV some years ago where the team doctor pulled up to next to a rider, pulled down his shorts, and hit him with a big glob while the cameras were rolling?
So that's what he uses. I had heard he uses a specific shaving cream? But would not devulge what it was exactly.

So Assos and blue steal will have to give them a try. I do love the butt butt'r

dhk said:
Does anybody remember a TdF stage on TV some years ago where the team doctor pulled up to next to a rider, pulled down his shorts, and hit him with a big glob while the cameras were rolling?
haha! Anybody have a video clip or picture of that one?? :D