changing batteries in Powertap SL

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
is there a trick to getting the round cover off of a Powertap SL to replace the batteries? i've tried a few wrenches that have the correct width, but the depth of the cover is so shallow that i am not having any luck.

do i need to buy a flat bike wrench of suitable size?

or is there another trick anyone can suggest?

thx.

tmctguer said:
is there a trick to getting the round cover off of a Powertap SL to replace the batteries? i've tried a few wrenches that have the correct width, but the depth of the cover is so shallow that i am not having any luck.

thx.

It sounds like yours didn't come with the special plastic "wrench"?
Mine came with an odd-shaped black flat wrench that fits just perfectly on those recesses on the cover. Did you try contacting Saris or where you bought the PT from? They should give you one for free if it wasn't in the box.

tmctguer said:

thx.
Definitely use the special tool for the job, even then it's pretty tight, or should be!

PBUK

The flats on that powertap are a joke.

Get a wide (1" or so) elastic band that fits snugly onto the shell. This will give you plenty of grip to unscrew the thing by hand.