cheap wheelset help

alex001

Oct 1, 2003
I am looking for good cheap 700c wheelset preferably under 300. Can anyone reccomend anything. All I've found are pretty much performance's and weyless'.

You're not going to find much new for under $300. I wouldn't recommend the Performance option. Your best bet is to go on eBay. I sold my old Mavic SLs for about $300. I regularly see a decent used set for about that on there. In fact, I found an "old" set of Mavic Ceramics on Dura Ace hubs that I picked up for $190. They roll better than my new Ksyrium SSCs and are stronger to boot. Of course they're a little heavier but they're perfect for the winter months. Best of luck.

alex001 said:
I am looking for good cheap 700c wheelset preferably under 300. Can anyone reccomend anything. All I've found are pretty much performance's and weyless'.

Shimano Ultegra hubbed, Mavic OpenPro Rimmed, 14/15 DB spokes by Sapim and/or DT handbuilt for ~$15 - $50 under your $300 max.
Very serviceable, strong, and durable.
dave at ornee dot net

alex001 said:

Try Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com - he should be able to build a very nice set of wheels near your price.

alex001 said:
Supego has open pro/ultegra hubs on sale for $189. colorado cyclist or excelsports builds em for a few bucks more. Think supergos are built by wheelsmith(mine were), and I have never had an issue with CC or excel built wheels. Good bang for the buck. You can also search ebay: wheelsets.

their 150 on price point
can you spoke them any diff. than traditionally? can they be radially spoked?

alex001 said:
their 150 on price point
can you spoke them any diff. than traditionally? can they be radially spoked?
If you are talking about ultegra hubs, radial not recommended.Voids warranty.Some peole do it.I have a radial laced front,that seems to be ok,but I'm a relative light weight.

armchair_spacem said:
Try Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com - he should be able to build a very nice set of wheels near your price.

i second that opinion. mike built me a set of velocity aeroheads and they are great. pretty light and sturdy too. i've given them some good hits lately and they are still true. if you want to know everything you never wanted to know about wheels, talk to mike. he'll talk for hours. he's one of the good guys in this biz. my wheelset came to 279 plus shipping. velocity aeroheads, wheelsmith spokes, aluminum nipples, and speedcific hubs (so far a well engineerd and sturdy hub which is also pretty light)

I bought a set of Campagnolo Vento G3 and have been very happy with them. Most of the time when you hear Campag in a sentence you think $$$. I bought set of these new for $370AUD (286USD). They are great to ride on, and are compatible with a shimano stack ( i have a 105 stack on my Campag wheels).

alex001 said:
anybody have experience with velocity wheelsets?
Velocity Aeroheads are great rims - you should be able to get a sub-$300 pair of wheels built to your specs using these rims and some moderately priced hubs. I would go this route before purchasing the pre-built Velocity wheels like the Spartacus (with a low spoke count)... The Mike Garcia suggestion sounds like a good one.

Oh, Campy Ventos are good strong wheels and can be had for less than $300, but will be somewhat heavier than the above.