chosing a Lemond steel frame road bikes

erybil

Aug 16, 2003
I am getting back into road cycling after a few years away, and I am going to purchase a Lemond steel bike -- either the Tourmalet or the Alpe D' Huez. My dealer has clearance pricing on the 2003 models of both right now -- I can get the Tourmalet for $749, and the Alpe D'Huez for $949 -- and has one of each left in my size.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two bikes is that the Alpe D' Huez has all 105 components and a carbon fork, while the Tourmalet had a mix of 105 and Tiagra components, and a steel fork.

I'm wondering whether I will see a big difference in the performance of the two bikes such that it is worth it to spend the extra $200 on the Alpe D' Huez. For reference, I'm a pretty big guy -- 6'2, about 260 lbs.

Any opinions, advice, and/or experiences with either bike would be welcome.

Go for the more expensive model. Sooner or later you will want to upgrade. It's cheaper to buy one with the extras then to add to it later. The carbon fork should hold up even under your girth of 260lbs. Hope you enjoy your new ride. You will probably end up changing the seat and the stem length to suit your needs.

Good choice, one of my riding partners has the Alpe D'Huez - it's a very smooth ride. Definitely get the better components - Tiagra to 105 is a big improvement, while 105 to Ultegra isn't as noticable and costs a lot more, so you're at a good price point.

That's a good price you're getting, I think my parner paid $1200 for his.

Originally posted by erybil
I am getting back into road cycling after a few years away, and I am going to purchase a Lemond steel bike -- either the Tourmalet or the Alpe D' Huez. My dealer has clearance pricing on the 2003 models of both right now -- I can get the Tourmalet for $749, and the Alpe D'Huez for $949 -- and has one of each left in my size.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two bikes is that the Alpe D' Huez has all 105 components and a carbon fork, while the Tourmalet had a mix of 105 and Tiagra components, and a steel fork.

I'm wondering whether I will see a big difference in the performance of the two bikes such that it is worth it to spend the extra $200 on the Alpe D' Huez. For reference, I'm a pretty big guy -- 6'2, about 260 lbs.

Originally posted by erybil

You have two good choices. I am lemond guy...a Buenos Aires anda Victoire...I would go with the Alpe Duez...better components...if they have a Beunos Aires, that's the best value in the line...but, I think you'll like the carbon fork, and get more miles from the105 components...great choice...:cool: