Chris King Ti Headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Randy, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Tags:


  2. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

  3. Stewart

    Stewart Guest

    corrosion resistance? but yeah, the alloy ones are lighter

    "VeloCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not clear why you would want to use a Ti headset, the regular steel ones are lighter.
    >
    > http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html
    >
    >
    > Randy wrote:
    > > I was considering a Chris King Ti headset for my new custom Ti bike that
    I
    > > am putting together. http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_ti.html
    > >
    > > Is a headset a bad place for titanium ? Anyone own one of these ? Any creaking problems ? How
    > > hard are these to find ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > > --
    > > Randy [email protected]
    > >
     
  4. > Is a headset a bad place for titanium ? Anyone own one of these ? Any creaking problems ? How hard
    > are these to find ?

    The question isn't whether a headset is a bad place for titanium, but rather if it's a good place to
    invest a lot of $$$. A Chris King aluminum headset will last a lifetime, and both weighs and costs
    less than a ti model. Best reason to buy one (the only reason I can think of) would be appearance
    but, frankly, headsets don't call all that much attention to themselves and, when they do, it's more
    along the lines of "Ooh, that guy's rich and can afford a Chris King headset" and almost never "Ooh,
    why such a nice bike and just a plain old Cane Creek S6?"

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
     
  5. Ari

    Ari Guest

    headsets are getting good enough that you no longer need a chris king label for reliability. The
    headset is a problem that has been solved - probably part of the reason why they had to go and mix
    everything up with integrated headsets.

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Is a headset a bad place for titanium ? Anyone own one of these ? Any creaking problems ? How
    > > hard are these to find ?
    >
    > The question isn't whether a headset is a bad place for titanium, but
    rather
    > if it's a good place to invest a lot of $$$. A Chris King aluminum
    headset
    > will last a lifetime, and both weighs and costs less than a ti model.
    Best
    > reason to buy one (the only reason I can think of) would be appearance
    but,
    > frankly, headsets don't call all that much attention to themselves and,
    when
    > they do, it's more along the lines of "Ooh, that guy's rich and can afford
    a
    > Chris King headset" and almost never "Ooh, why such a nice bike and just a plain old Cane
    > Creek S6?"
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
     
  6. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based on
    aesthetics. I'm afraid that I have to admit (gulp) to being on of those who consider bikes part art,
    and for whom aesthetics plays a role in purchase decisions, expecially when it concerns parts for
    the last bike that I am ever going to own. So let's assume then for a moment that I simply like the
    way the Ti headset looks (I do), and that I am willing to accept the 4 extra grams and spend a bit
    more. Not to impress others, but simply for my own enjoyment. :)

    Now then, will there be any performance issues with a Ti headset ?

    Randy
     
  7. I ran a King Ti headset on my Calfee for a year with no issues. ( I sold the Calfee) I'm getting a
    new Calfee and I recently saw a headset by Star that was absolutely exquisite and very minimalist.
    I'm thinking of installing that when the new frame comes in. "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based on
    > aesthetics. I'm afraid that I have to admit (gulp) to being on of those who consider bikes part
    > art, and for whom aesthetics plays a role in purchase decisions, expecially when it concerns parts
    > for the last bike that I am ever going to own. So let's assume then for a moment that I simply
    > like the way the Ti headset looks (I do), and that I am willing to accept the 4 extra grams and
    > spend a bit more. Not
    to
    > impress others, but simply for my own enjoyment. :)
    >
    > Now then, will there be any performance issues with a Ti headset ?
    >
    > Randy
     
  8. No, there are no issues with it (I have one) and I too consider some bike parts works of art. (Which
    is one of the reasons Peter White sells TA Zephyer cranksets. As he says, "Why? Because they are
    beautiful." Don't let the Philistines get you down. Dave "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based on
    > aesthetics. I'm afraid that I have to admit (gulp) to being on of those who consider bikes part
    > art, and for whom aesthetics plays a role in purchase decisions, expecially when it concerns parts
    > for the last bike that I am ever going to own. So let's assume then for a moment that I simply
    > like the way the Ti headset looks (I do), and that I am willing to accept the 4 extra grams and
    > spend a bit more. Not
    to
    > impress others, but simply for my own enjoyment. :)
    >
    > Now then, will there be any performance issues with a Ti headset ?
    >
    > Randy
     
  9. Andrew Lee

    Andrew Lee Guest

    "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based on
    > aesthetics.

    I know aesthetics is personal, but the I personally don't like the big logos all over the King
    headsets. It looks like gaudy advertising rather than art to me.
     
  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Andrew Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based
    > > on aesthetics.
    >
    > I know aesthetics is personal, but the I personally don't like the big
    logos
    > all over the King headsets. It looks like gaudy advertising rather than
    art
    > to me.

    Ah, but you can "special order" them with no logos, any color, at no extra charge.

    Robin Hubert
     
  11. Randy

    Randy Guest

    The silver and Ti logos are more subtle than the colored ones.....and isn't the "King Ti" logo on
    the Ti model kind of a cool, sort of dual meaning thing ? :).

    Randy

    "Andrew Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based
    > > on aesthetics.
    >
    > I know aesthetics is personal, but the I personally don't like the big
    logos
    > all over the King headsets. It looks like gaudy advertising rather than
    art
    > to me.
     
  12. Russell

    Russell Guest

    "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based on
    > aesthetics. I'm afraid that I have to admit (gulp) to being on of those who consider bikes part
    > art, and for whom aesthetics plays a role in purchase decisions, expecially when it concerns parts
    > for the last bike that I am ever going to own.

    "The last bike I am ever going to own." HA! That one always gets me. Sorry, but IMO, anyone who's
    into cycling will always buy a new ride sooner or later, especially, as you say, when you consider
    bikes part art. You may hang onto your old "last bike," but you will undoubtedly get sucked into
    buying a shiny new one too.
     
  13. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

    Russell wrote:
    > "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based on
    >>aesthetics. I'm afraid that I have to admit (gulp) to being on of those who consider bikes part
    >>art, and for whom aesthetics plays a role in purchase decisions, expecially when it concerns parts
    >>for the last bike that I am ever going to own.
    >
    >
    > "The last bike I am ever going to own." HA! That one always gets me. Sorry, but IMO, anyone who's
    > into cycling will always buy a new ride sooner or later, especially, as you say, when you consider
    > bikes part art. You may hang onto your old "last bike," but you will undoubtedly get sucked into
    > buying a shiny new one too.

    I always say that my current ride is the latest in a series of "last bikes I will ever own".
     
  14. Randy

    Randy Guest

    That's a very scary thought given what I am about to pay for this one....

    Randy
     
  15. in article [email protected], VeloCat at [email protected] wrote on
    02/17/2003 08:40 AM:

    > Russell wrote:
    >> "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the expected lectures regarding the evils of paying extra for something simply based
    >>> on aesthetics. I'm afraid that I have to admit (gulp) to being on of those who consider bikes
    >>> part art, and for whom aesthetics plays a role in purchase decisions, expecially when it
    >>> concerns parts for the last bike that I am ever going to own.
    >>
    >>
    >> "The last bike I am ever going to own." HA! That one always gets me. Sorry, but IMO, anyone who's
    >> into cycling will always buy a new ride sooner or later, especially, as you say, when you
    >> consider bikes part art. You may hang onto your old "last bike," but you will undoubtedly get
    >> sucked into buying a shiny new one too.
    >
    > I always say that my current ride is the latest in a series of "last bikes I will ever own".

    There's a huge difference in "the last bike I am ever going to OWN" and "the last bike I am every
    going to BUY" ... my current Ron Cooper, and my forthcoming Richard Sachs will be the two last bikes
    I will ever own (at least that is currently the plan), however, I fully expect that I will buy (and
    sell) other bikes along the line.

    --

    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum
    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti
    ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you double-yew double-ewe
    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash
     
  16. Steven L. Sheffield <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    BA770F7B.32471%[email protected] <snip>
    > There's a huge difference in "the last bike I am ever going to OWN" and
    "the
    > last bike I am every going to BUY" ... my current Ron Cooper, and my forthcoming Richard Sachs
    > will be the two last bikes I will ever own (at least that is currently the plan), however, I fully
    > expect that I will buy (and sell) other bikes along the line.

    How about this alternative: 'my grandchildren will inherit this bike (or at least the frame...)'.
     
  17. Dave Novoselsky wrote:
    > No, there are no issues with it (I have one) and I too consider some bike parts works of art.
    > (Which is one of the reasons Peter White sells TA Zephyer cranksets. As he says, "Why? Because
    > they are beautiful." Don't let the Philistines get you down. Dave

    I don't think the Zephyr is particularly beautiful. It's kind of plain looking. I think the RaceFace
    Next LP in red is much nicer looking. However, the Zephyr is probably the most versatile crank on
    the market because the same crank can be used as a 74/110 BCD or a 56/110 BCD, making it great for
    loaded touring or general road riding with a simple swap of the chain rings.

    --Bill Davidson
    --
    Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.
     
  18. "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was considering a Chris King Ti headset for my new custom Ti bike that I am putting together.
    > http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_ti.html
    >
    > Is a headset a bad place for titanium ? Anyone own one of these ? Any creaking problems ? How hard
    > are these to find ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    All the benefits of an aluminum Chris King headset, plus added weight and expense! Stick with
    aluminum. Just 'cus something is made out of Ti doesn't mean it's the right application of the
    matrial. Ti spokes come to mind. --Jim
     
  19. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Meccanico di Bici) wrote:

    > Stick with aluminum. Just 'cus something is made out of Ti doesn't mean it's the right application
    > of the matrial. Ti spokes come to mind.

    Yeah, no reason to use Ti when magnesium spokes are so much lighter.
     
  20. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Having built several pairs of wheels with Ti spokes when they first came out, I really liked the
    weight and ride. They were great for the first 3 years. Then spokes started breaking... Now I don't
    ride Ti spokes.

    Boy were those some light wheels!

    "Meccanico di Bici" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I was considering a Chris King Ti headset for my new custom Ti bike that
    I
    > > am putting together. http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_ti.html
    > >
    > > Is a headset a bad place for titanium ? Anyone own one of these ? Any creaking problems ? How
    > > hard are these to find ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > All the benefits of an aluminum Chris King headset, plus added weight and expense! Stick with
    > aluminum. Just 'cus something is made out of Ti doesn't mean it's the right application of the
    > matrial. Ti spokes come to mind. --Jim
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...