City Riding

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Some of my friends go on a city riding spree sometimes. The target destinations are cultural spots like old parks with monuments, museums and old structures. In Manila, there are so many places to visit for a cultural trip, the reason why city riding is getting popular over here. When I was younger, I would probably have joined such tours that would spend the whole day in roaming around as if looking for treasures in the city.

That sounds great. The only problem for me with city problem is the smoke and pollution! I wish there was some kind of mask available for bikers and runners that filters the air out. Sometimes I feel as if I did more damage to my lungs than benefit because of all the smog and smoke we get in the city whenever I go for rides and long runs.

Vickeree said:
That sounds great. The only problem for me with city problem is the smoke and pollution! I wish there was some kind of mask available for bikers and runners that filters the air out. Sometimes I feel as if I did more damage to my lungs than benefit because of all the smog and smoke we get in the city whenever I go for rides and long runs.
That's a great point. The air can be really nasty, especially in certain cities in the U.S., which is sad because there are so many things that we could see and experience!

Vickeree said:

There are masks like that. Check Respro.

They are also hideous.

Pollution is kinda exaggerated. Metro air is really nasty though.

If you can't find Respro check your nearest anarchist cell for "tear gas mask solutions". :D

I've seen mask like the one from Bane in Batman but those actually restrict air so you could train your lung muscles. I have a plain old cycling mask but it doesn't really filter anything ... I'll check out your recommendations thanks !

The most fun city that I have ever rode my bike in is Jacksonville. It's just the perfect place to ride a bike. You would understand what I mean if you have ever been there.

Yeah, riding in a city is fun. I've enjoyed it. You see more of what is around you than when you drive. You've got to watch out for pedestrians and cars more. A driver is more apt to just not see you and run into you. i find that it takes a lot more awareness.
Vickeree said the pollution is a problem, this is true. If you are in it anyway you just don't think about it. I enjoy riding a bike just about anywhere. I've even used it to commute to work when I could. This I love cause you get your workout and save some money. City riding I just really love to look at all the detail of shops and restaurants along the way.

City driving is normally in the early mornings only particularly if it had rained the previous night because the atmosphere will have lesser pollution. Riders here would be on the road before sunrise and roam around before noon. They normally take their breakfast in the park, any park for that matter but they prefer those with food vendors or eateries, and of course with toilets. For Sundays, the streets are not clogged and traffic is quite light so that's the most ideal for city riding - Sunday mornings.

I used to go out riding in the city when I was in high school. I could go cycling with my friends. Nowadays I do not have the guts to do it. Lately I do like avoiding traffic. I like cycling in the rural where there are no traffic jams.

I think that is a nice idea that I have not tried yet. Maybe a night city ride will be fine for me. A city at night with all those beautiful lights on would help create one memorable experience. Finish the ride with a dinner at a nearby cafe or restaurant while going through the photos you took (if you did) then upload them online for your friends to see

How about "Shitty riding"???

Buses, double parked cars, crazy pedestrians... F@ck that.

I am not really a big fan of riding around cities, even if it involves investigating historical, old parts of a city. I rather prefer walking around those areas, taking my time to look at everything. Of course, it can be a stimulating experience riding your bike around such areas, but usually there are too many people and motorized vehicles in such places for me to feel relaxed. I rather prefer to get out of the city and disappear into some wide open landscape...

Reactions: Corzhens
I would love to do this in a beautiful city like Manila, but I find it a little more difficult here in Toronto. The main issue is that the city itself is a good half hour (driving, with no traffic) away from my apartment, and that's along very non bike friendly highways.

A lot of people ride in the city itself but it's more for commuting than pleasure. It's crowded, there's often no bike lanes, the traffic is crazy, and while there are lots of cool places to visit, the routes to get there aren't really very interesting...strip malls and restaurants and car dealerships and stuff.

There are lots of nice bike paths in High Park though that I'm looking forward to checking out this summer :)

How about "Shitty riding"???

Buses, double parked cars, crazy pedestrians... F@ck that.

Yeah, that can suck, I agree, but if there are dedicated bike paths, I think you can still have a good time. In my city there bike paths like this and it's really not a problem getting from one end of the town to the other. The only bad effect is pollution like somebody else mentioned already.

It sounds great, and the fact you can do the tour around the city is welcoming too. However, I would always just choose the countryside, nature, and back roads, for my cycling. It is just because I love nature more than the city.

Sounds really nice! This is something I'm doing with my friends every now and then, but we prefer riding outside of the city since the scenery in the countryside is so much better and it is definitely safer.

Sounds really nice! This is something I'm doing with my friends every now and then, but we prefer riding outside of the city since the scenery in the countryside is so much better and it is definitely safer.

That's also my trip - riding outside the city. I'm fortunate to live in the suburban town beside the town of Antipolo which is the mecca of riders. We have a saying that a new bike should be tested by a break-in ride to the hills of Antipolo. During weekends, there are hundreds of bikers in groups and solo that pass by the gate of our village. So if I want to ride to Antipolo, all I need to do is wait by the gate for a preferred group to ride with.

I did some city riding spree a few times with my friends several years ago.
Our target destinations were cultural spots too, but also the hidroelectric dam nearby. It was overall a 60 miles trip. Because everything is relatively near enough, we always hit the highway from downtown to the city centre. And also We made a short stop at popular fast food stores along the road.