cleaning your bike

matt_ttu

Apr 7, 2003
I've finally got a real bike, a Trek 1000, I know it's not the best thing from Trek but its mine and much better than the cheap little Huffy that I had fixed up and actually went on a metric century on. But being as my Trek 1000 is the most bueatiful thing I own I want to keep it in the best shape possible. What are the best things to use to clean an Aluminum frame? I'm a poor college student so what are some cheap things to use as cleaners?

One Aussie magazine said for the drive train - get a soft bristled paint brush (for painting walls, not canvases!) and brush with turps. The brush gets the turps nicely into the grooves. Spray the loosened gunk off with a hose, and wipe down with a clean rag. Don't spray into parts that will get water-logged!

For the rest, just use a rag/cloth, and some warm soapy water and mild detergent such as dishwashing detergent in a bucket.

You might want to take the wheels off one at a time to do the brakes and to get into nooks and crannies.

I've used the turps plenty of times over the last six months - no long term problems. It's quick and easy, and gets the grease off easier than citrus degreaser. I haven't heard of any reason not to. Anyone got any objections to turps?

Cheers
Ben

Did my bikes last night. This is the routine (it does take some time):

1. Clean the drivetrain (chain, der., cluster, et al.) with engine degreaser. This is a dirty job, try to do it outside. I don't use turps as it has a slight oil base.
2. Take a strong detergent (I use Cleen Green) and spray it on the drivetrain that you have just cleaned.
3. Now spray the bike off with a hose, including the drivetrain (NOT high pressure). I don't spray my saddle, etc.
4. Wash the bike. I use the same stuff as I wash my car with, it protects the paint.
5. Rinse the bike.
6. Now leave the bike for about 20 minutes (not in the sun, you might loose some tubes :) )
7. Dry of the bike that is still wet. Now take furniture polish (the type in the spray can), spray it on the frame and polish. Reason for using this is that the polish "repells" dust on the frame and the bike smells nice. DON'T spray on the rims, you'll see your @ss!
8. Now I take my lube and lube all the parts that have bearings (i.e. wheels, cranks, etc.) but not on the chain/cluster. (I use Q20).
9. Lube the chain, I use White Lightning wax. If you're a student, spend the money, it's worth every cent. Follow the instructions on the bottle closely.

Yes, it takes time, but it's worth EVERY minute.

O and then get on your bike and go for a ride, you'll get MANY looks and even more compliments! :D :D