Climbing Improvement

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ken Papai, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    So does that mean my 5'9 145lbs should be moving to the track? I can keep my heartrate in the 190's
    for a couple minutes. I am be pretty aero to boot.

    "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mark Fennell) wrote:
    > > BTW, if you're a good skinny little climber, it is humbling to discover that good kilo or
    > > pursuit riders will beat you up most hills that last just a couple of minutes, even if they are
    > > big guys. That's how much power they can put out.
    >
    > As a track neophyte who recently did my first 4000m pursuit I'd say apart from their power output
    > they also are used to staying at a high heart rate (90-95%) for several minutes required to stay
    > up there on the shorter climbs.

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Joe Yannie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So does that mean my 5'9 145lbs should be moving to the track? I can keep my heartrate in the
    > 190's for a couple minutes. I am be pretty aero to boot.

    I don't think the banking's high enough for you to have any advantage climbing it.

    A little track workout now and again could do wonders for the rest of your riding...

    Mike

  3. "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >
    > > Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    > > effective.
    >
    > Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    > why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation in
    > talking about willpower.
    >
    > http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm

    Talking regional smack is stupid since it doesn't necessarily reflect upon the individual. But I
    will indulge. Check out this article

    http://www.mensfitness.com/mens/superfeat/010203/ranking.html

    Colorado and California both get 2 cities in the top 10 Fittest. California gets 7 in the top 25
    Fittest. Texas leads the nation in Fattest Cities.

    It's all moot though. This is America - there a millions of Fatties in every state.

    K. Gringioni

    ps. I think Steve Taylor would be at home in Texas

  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >
    > > Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    > > effective.
    >
    > Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    > why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation in
    > talking about willpower.
    >
    > http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm
    >
    > Bret

    Here's the 2000 list sorted by state

    State Obesity +/- Avg Mississippi 24.3 4.50 Alabama 23.5 3.70 West Virginia 22.8 3.00 Louisiana 22.8
    3.00 Tennessee 22.7 2.90 Texas 22.7 2.90 Arkansas 22.6 2.80 Kentucky 22.3 2.50 Michigan 21.8 2.00
    Missouri 21.6 1.80 South Carolina 21.5 1.70 Indiana 21.3 1.50 North Carolina 21.3 1.50 Washington DC
    21.2 1.40 Ohio 21.0 1.20 Oregon 21.0 1.20 Illinois 20.9 1.10 Georgia 20.9 1.10 Iowa 20.8 1.00
    Pennsylvania 20.7 0.90 Nebraska 20.6 0.80 Alaska 20.5 0.70 Kansas 20.1 0.30 North Dakota 19.8 0.00
    U.S. Total 19.8 0.00 Maine 19.7 -0.10 Maryland 19.5 -0.30 Wisconsin 19.4 -0.40 South Dakota 19.2
    -0.60 California 19.2 -0.60 Oklahoma 19.0 -0.80 New Mexico 18.8 -1.00 Arizona 18.8 -1.00 Utah 18.5
    -1.30 Washington 18.5 -1.30 Idaho 18.4 -1.40 Florida 18.1 -1.70 Vermont 17.7 -2.10 New Jersey 17.6
    -2.20 Wyoming 17.6 -2.20 Virginia 17.5 -2.30 New York 17.2 -2.60 Nevada 17.2 -2.60 New Hampshire
    17.1 -2.70 Connecticut 16.9 -2.90 Rhode Island 16.8 -3.00 Minnesota 16.8 -3.00 Massachusetts 16.4
    -3.40 Delaware 16.2 -3.60 Montana 15.2 -4.60 Hawaii 15.1 -4.70 Colorado 13.8 -6.00

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 3/7/03 2:01 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >>
    >>> Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    >>> effective.
    >>
    >> Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    >> why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation in
    >> talking about willpower.
    >>
    >> http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm
    >

    > Talking regional smack is stupid since it doesn't necessarily reflect upon the individual. But I
    > will indulge. Check out this article
    >

    > http://www.mensfitness.com/mens/superfeat/010203/ranking.html
    >

    > Colorado and California both get 2 cities in the top 10 Fittest. California gets 7 in the top 25
    > Fittest. Texas leads the nation in Fattest Cities.
    >
    > It's all moot though. This is America - there a millions of Fatties in every state.
    >

    > K. Gringioni
    >

    > ps. I think Steve Taylor would be at home in Texas

    Dream on Baldy............

    My doctors told me I would never race again yet alone not ride more than 5 miles in the future.

    So why am I out there riding 60 miles and you are doing....................??????

  6. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >>

    >>>Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    >>>effective.
    >>
    >>Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    >>why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation in
    >>talking about willpower.
    >>
    >>http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm
    >

    > Talking regional smack is stupid since it doesn't necessarily reflect upon the individual. But I
    > will indulge. Check out this article

    Not smack. It's an extension of your own ground breaking work wherein all things cycling related can
    be explained with obesity statistics.

    > http://www.mensfitness.com/mens/superfeat/010203/ranking.html
    >

    > Colorado and California both get 2 cities in the top 10 Fittest. California gets 7 in the top 25
    > Fittest. Texas leads the nation in Fattest Cities.

    This list appears to be comparing only larger cities. I suspect that the only two CO cities that
    qualified, made the fit list.

    > It's all moot though. This is America - there a millions of Fatties in every state.

    As a native of Wyoming, you must be aware that there are not even one million people in that state.

    Bret

    > K. Gringioni
    >

    > ps. I think Steve Taylor would be at home in Texas

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > > It's all moot though. This is America - there a millions of Fatties in every state.
    >
    > As a native of Wyoming, you must be aware that there are not even one million people in
    > that state.

    He didn't say people. He was including the cows.

  8. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > >
    > > > Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    > > > effective.
    > >
    > > Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    > > why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation
    > > in talking about willpower.
    > >
    > > http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm
    >

    > Talking regional smack is stupid since it doesn't necessarily reflect upon the individual. But I
    > will indulge. Check out this article
    >

    > http://www.mensfitness.com/mens/superfeat/010203/ranking.html
    >

    > Colorado and California both get 2 cities in the top 10 Fittest.
    California
    > gets 7 in the top 25 Fittest. Texas leads the nation in Fattest Cities.
    >
    > It's all moot though. This is America - there a millions of Fatties in
    every
    > state.

    You had me until you quoted an article from "Mens Fitness"? Give me a break that rag should be
    called "Mens Gayness"...what's goin on Henry??

    Danny Callen

  9. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > >
    > > > Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    > > > effective.
    > >
    > > Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    > > why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation
    > > in talking about willpower.
    > >
    > > http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm
    > >
    > > Bret
    >
    > Here's the 2000 list sorted by state
    >
    > State Obesity +/- Avg Mississippi 24.3 4.50 Alabama 23.5 3.70 West Virginia 22.8 3.00 Louisiana
    > 22.8 3.00 Tennessee 22.7 2.90 Texas 22.7 2.90 Arkansas 22.6 2.80 Kentucky 22.3 2.50 Michigan 21.8
    > 2.00 Missouri 21.6 1.80 South Carolina 21.5 1.70 Indiana 21.3 1.50 North Carolina 21.3 1.50
    > Washington DC 21.2 1.40 Ohio 21.0 1.20 Oregon 21.0 1.20 Illinois 20.9 1.10 Georgia 20.9 1.10 Iowa
    > 20.8 1.00 Pennsylvania 20.7 0.90 Nebraska 20.6 0.80 Alaska 20.5 0.70 Kansas 20.1 0.30 North
    > Dakota 19.8 0.00 U.S. Total 19.8 0.00 Maine 19.7 -0.10 Maryland 19.5 -0.30 Wisconsin 19.4 -0.40
    > South Dakota 19.2 -0.60 California 19.2 -0.60 Oklahoma 19.0 -0.80 New Mexico 18.8 -1.00 Arizona
    > 18.8 -1.00 Utah 18.5 -1.30 Washington 18.5 -1.30 Idaho 18.4 -1.40 Florida 18.1 -1.70 Vermont 17.7
    > -2.10 New Jersey 17.6 -2.20 Wyoming 17.6 -2.20 Virginia 17.5 -2.30 New York 17.2 -2.60 Nevada
    > 17.2 -2.60 New Hampshire 17.1 -2.70 Connecticut 16.9 -2.90 Rhode Island 16.8 -3.00 Minnesota 16.8
    > -3.00 Massachusetts 16.4 -3.40 Delaware 16.2 -3.60 Montana 15.2 -4.60 Hawaii 15.1 -4.70 Colorado
    > 13.8 -6.00

    Interesting.... all the New England states are ahead of California..

    Danny Callen

  10. "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > >
    > > > Willpower with regards to diet, and by extension, gravity, is not as romantic, but more
    > > > effective.
    > >
    > > Kurgan is right about this and CO leads the nation in willpower (see link below) which explains
    > > why many the best climbers come from CO. Based on the evidence here (rbr), CA leads the nation
    > > in talking about willpower.
    > >
    > > http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/prev_reg.htm
    > >
    > > Bret
    >
    > Here's the 2000 list sorted by state
    >
    > State Obesity +/- Avg Mississippi 24.3 4.50

    <snip>

    Mississippi ranks last in education level, last in per capita income and first in obesity.

    That is a clear indication that a nation has too much food to eat - when the poorest state is also
    the fattest.

    Does Mississippi have cell phone coverage yet? I saw a coverage map a few years ago and basically
    the entire nation had coverage (except for a few dots here and there) except for one big blotch:
    Mississippi.

    Didn't Mississippi also lead the nation in lynchings during the Civil Rights Movement? It's not
    surprising where they are today.

    K. Gringioni going on vacation in Mis-uhs-sip-ah

  11. "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > You had me until you quoted an article from "Mens Fitness"? Give me a
    break
    > that rag should be called "Mens Gayness"...what's goin on Henry??

    I remembered a study that had San Diego as the skinniest metropolis in the nation followed by
    Denver, but couldn't find it. The only thing I could find (without looking *too* hard) was the Men's
    Gayness article.

    Do you have a subscription or do you just get it at the supermarket?

    cheers,

    Kurgan Gringioni

  12. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Interesting.... all the New England states are ahead of California..

    California is skewed, in a way, by a relatively high percentage of one or two ethnic groups that
    tend towards obesity. If you want to live in a culture that encourages fitness (most) of CA is much
    better than New England in this regard. And why shouldn't it be? We can ride or do stuff outside
    330+ days a year and Dunkin' Donuts has not yet infiltrated widespread areas of California. And if
    you don't like to exercise to get a "fit" shape we have the highest number of liposuction and
    body-shaping surgeons in the US. And can I tell you? You... loook...mahvelous!

    -WG

  13. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:070320032006038223%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting.... all the New England states are ahead of California..
    >
    > California is skewed, in a way, by a relatively high percentage of one or two ethnic groups that
    > tend towards obesity. If you want to live in a culture that encourages fitness (most) of CA is
    > much better than New England in this regard. And why shouldn't it be? We can ride or do stuff
    > outside 330+ days a year and Dunkin' Donuts has not yet infiltrated widespread areas of
    > California. And if you don't like to exercise to get a "fit" shape we have the highest number of
    > liposuction and body-shaping surgeons in the US. And can I tell you? You... loook...mahvelous!
    >
    > -WG

    Hey Warren just statin' the "facts" from that 'fruity' Magazine; facts are facts. I read the articel
    therefore it must be true..

    Danny Callen

  14. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    > "Danny Callen" <dancal[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > You had me until you quoted an article from "Mens Fitness"? Give me a
    > break
    > > that rag should be called "Mens Gayness"...what's goin on Henry??
    >

    > I remembered a study that had San Diego as the skinniest metropolis in the nation followed by
    > Denver, but couldn't find it. The only thing I could
    find
    > (without looking *too* hard) was the Men's Gayness article.
    >
    > Do you have a subscription or do you just get it at the supermarket?
    >

    > cheers,
    >

    > Kurgan Gringioni

    That's what I was asking you. My wife works for an outwardly gay man and he loves the mag. Do I need
    to spell it out any clearer. It's like being a fattie and admitting it. There's nothing wrong with
    being gay; but not admitting is sad...

    Danny Callen

  15. Danny Callen wrote:

    > That's what I was asking you. My wife works for an outwardly gay man and he loves the mag. Do I
    > need to spell it out any clearer. It's like being a fattie and admitting it. There's nothing wrong
    > with being gay; but not admitting is sad...

    are you insane?! the spring classics are here, and mr kunich has been so well behaved lately.

    heather

  16. warren wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Interesting.... all the New England states are ahead of California..
    >

    > California is skewed, in a way, by a relatively high percentage of one or two ethnic groups that
    > tend towards obesity

    This is consistent with my observation -- if done by metro region, SF and SJ would end up near the
    top -- up there with Denver and Dover.

    But no state should take pride in those stats. Based on 1991 numbers, at which time the nation was
    still in terrible shape, in 2000 we were 50 Texases or worse. And we're growing every year.

    Do you want fries with that?

    Dan

  17. "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > This is consistent with my observation -- if done by metro region, SF and SJ would end up near the
    > top -- up there with Denver and Dover.
    >
    > But no state should take pride in those stats. Based on 1991 numbers, at which time the nation was
    > still in terrible shape, in 2000 we were 50 Texases or worse. And we're growing every year.
    >
    > Do you want fries with that?

    Is the US lifestyle really that different from 9 years ago? Are people really eating that much more
    and exercising that much less than only a few years ago? I wonder if there's some element in the
    corporate foodstuffs that's causing it. Like maybe GMO foods, or some new version of trans fat, or
    some new fangled hormone in meat, etc...

  18. one of the six billion wrote:
    > Is the US lifestyle really that different from 9 years ago? Are people really eating that much
    > more and exercising that much less than only a few years ago? I wonder if there's some element in
    > the corporate foodstuffs that's causing it. Like maybe GMO foods, or some new version of trans
    > fat, or some new fangled hormone in meat, etc...

    My very personal theory is that this fenomena is due to what I call factory food or preprocessed
    food. Every year we are eating more preprocessed food and every year obesity is getting worse. I
    first started going to the states in the sixties as a kid and everybody was a lot fatter than at
    home in Sweden. However nowhere near as bad as it is today. In Sweden we are probably starting to
    look like you guys did in the sixties and catching up fast. Especially kids.

    I think you're smack on mr six billion.

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  19. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Scary, isn't it? I wonder what has gotten in to or out of him.