Clipless pedals. Help!

koan

Oct 24, 2005
:confused: Hi, everyone!
I'm new in single speed world. Can you help me with recommendation of good clipless pedals for fixed gear road bike? There are many brands and types of shoes and pedals, I just don't want to make mistakes and pay twice...

Hi there,
So Im just as new as you are im sure- but I just thought Id let you know that as a commuter I am using my first pair of mountain bike shoes (just some shimanos that were on sale at my REI) and the WTB pedals that came with my Pista.
As for shoes- it seems go with what fits your feet and what fits your goals- Im a commuter- and need shoes to walk around in, and didnt need anything fancy for now. If you are just training- keep your road shoes and just get a second pair of the same pedals you use on your road bike- so you dont have to change cleats.
I have a lot more experience with road shoes and pedals but for my commute I really like the mountain bike shoes and the WTB are working just fine- nothing special really. "read as- perfect for me- cheap and they get the job done"

Probably not very helpful, and all stuff you know, but I thought Id try to get this going.

Thank you for reply!
You are right, the best for start to choose mountain bike shoes and pedals.
I'll take shimano M540 pedals and Diadora Gecko shoes for beginer. Then, may be I'll buy road shoes and pedals for performance.
Thank you again!

You may find that there are oportunities to try different pedal systems by riding fellow riders bikes.
Otherwise it is realy a very persoal and ergonomic choice that is very open to personal desire/need/want and requirement.

I've been a look person since 1986. However I tried a look alike (Welgo) and had knee problems when riding with them. So I went back to Look, but upgraded to a shalow profile KEO "Sprint" pedal and couldn't be happier.

One of the most often asked questions with my fellow club riders when they get new bikes, is just like yours, and it doesn't seem to matter how many pedal systems they have tried, everyone is still looking to find the ultimate system for them.

Thanks for advice.

My next choice will be keo sprint. But for now I'd like to tri M540 or M520 with walkable shoes. They more affordable then look. Probably it is better to have couple different pedals with shoes for different occasions.

Thanks again.