Clyde needs century trainig advice

cram1960

Oct 13, 2008
OkayI shot my mouth off and committed to a century ride in Worchester, Mass in October.I've been riding outdoors on weekends, and indoors during the week, but need more structure so I can get through the 100 mile ride.

Problem is I can only ride indoors for about 25 minutes before I am whipped. Outside I'm doing about 1.5 hours on Saturday and adding about an hour on Sunday.

I need some serious advice.
(BTW I am 6'1" 250lbs and the course has hills).

Thanks,
Craig

cram1960 said:
OkayI shot my mouth off and committed to a century ride in Worchester, Mass in October.I've been riding outdoors on weekends, and indoors during the week, but need more structure so I can get through the 100 mile ride.

Problem is I can only ride indoors for about 25 minutes before I am whipped. Outside I'm doing about 1.5 hours on Saturday and adding about an hour on Sunday.

Thanks,
Craig

Bicycling Mag had a century training plan which only has endurance level rides of one hour, to 2.5 hours for 10 weeks....no intervals, no VO2Max, no FTP...can this be correct?

If your legs burn too much, the rule is simple: don't burn your legs. Even if you have to get off the bike and gently walk up a hill!

Just keep your HR in the training zone or use the method advocated by fitness guru Covert Bailey (I hope I've got it right): He seemed to think you can monitor your HR simply by your breathing. Go fast enough to get a little winded but not so fast so that you can't talk without gasping for breath. Ride in that zone for at least a half hour a day, and increase as you go along.

garage sale GT said:
If your legs burn too much, the rule is simple: don't burn your legs. Even if you have to get off the bike and gently walk up a hill!

Just keep your HR in the training zone or use the method advocated by fitness guru Covert Bailey (I hope I've got it right): He seemed to think you can monitor your HR simply by your breathing. Go fast enough to get a little winded but not so fast so that you can't talk without gasping for breath. Ride in that zone for at least a half hour a day, and increase as you go along.

On my outdoor bike I have a powertap. My indoor trainer is a Kurt Kinetics, so I can use power instead of HR...Tha's not the issue.

The issue is can it be proper to train for a century with hills by NOT riding hills or doing intervals, just by doing 5-6 endurance rides per week? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not a exercise physiologist, experienced centurion, or cycling trainer.

cram1960 said:

I think that your biggest issue will actually be your saddle ...

Because, you don't have to ride the 100 miles without stopping ... if you need to stop every half hour for a few minutes, then do so ... but, when you get back on the bike, you definitely do not want to be uncomfortable.

Many long distance riders prefer the BROOKS B17 (standard width) ... it is something to consider ... and, if you get one, make sure you begin with the saddle set up with the rails parallel to the ground ... AND (especially!!), lower the seat post by a small amount because the saddle height of a BROOKS saddle above the rails is greater than on a regular saddle [measure the distance between the center of the BB & the height of your current saddle before swapping the one for the other].

If you don't like the way a BROOKS saddle feels (give it several rides), you can probably resell it on eBay for almost as much as you paid for it.

cram1960 said:
On my outdoor bike I have a powertap. My indoor trainer is a Kurt Kinetics, so I can use power instead of HR...Tha's not the issue.

The issue is can it be proper to train for a century with hills by NOT riding hills or doing intervals, just by doing 5-6 endurance rides per week? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not a exercise physiologist, experienced centurion, or cycling trainer.
I guess I assumed the issue with your training times was that you had to stop due to your legs being tired.

If so, I would venture to guess that you have the muscle strength you need now, you just need to strengthen the heart and lungs because your legs get tired due to running out of fuel.

I am suggesting saving your legs in order to extend your time in the training zone. I don't understand the relevancy of the power meter because it doesn't know how strong your heart and lungs are. However, pacing yourself by how hard you breathe is directly relevant.

garage sale GT said:
I guess I assumed the issue with your training times was that you had to stop due to your legs being tired.

If so, I would venture to guess that you have the muscle strength you need now, you just need to strengthen the heart and lungs because your legs get tired due to running out of fuel.

I am suggesting saving your legs in order to extend your time in the training zone. I don't understand the relevancy of the power meter because it doesn't know how strong your heart and lungs are. However, pacing yourself by how hard you breathe is directly relevant.

thanks!

Worst thing to do is worry. It'll tense you up. As was suggested, you don't have to do all the miles at once. When you get uncomfortable simply stop, breathe, stretch, drink and wait a few minutes. The stretching has been a key for me. Use some lube like Chamois Butter or something to avoid chafing. Have some well- padded shorts. You'll do fine.

vfrpilot1 said:
Worst thing to do is worry. It'll tense you up. As was suggested, you don't have to do all the miles at once. When you get uncomfortable simply stop, breathe, stretch, drink and wait a few minutes. The stretching has been a key for me. Use some lube like Chamois Butter or something to avoid chafing. Have some well- padded shorts. You'll do fine.

Funny, I was talking to my friend last night about the ride, and realized it's just 5 X 20 miles (with the ability to stop when you want). I don't have any worries now. :D

I will admit to having a mental block...thinking I'd have to ride continuously for the century! LOL.

cram1960 said:
Funny, I was talking to my friend last night about the ride, and realized it's just 5 X 20 miles (with the ability to stop when you want). I don't have any worries now. :D

I will admit to having a mental block...thinking I'd have to ride continuously for the century! LOL.
Excellent realization. Life's a cinch by the inch !! Relax and enjoy. Good Luck !!

For me, its all mental. When I know im riding 30 miles, i ride so im completely donezo by the end of the 30. When i did my first century, I knew I had to be able to keep going, so I paced myself so I knew I couldnt go riding like i stole it. It may sound like its way too far for your current level of training, but I really think youre gonna surprise yourself! I know i did on my first cent! Also, make sure you bring plenty of food. I would recommend at the very least, a gel for every loop. Gels only take me so far though, and after 50 or so miles, I need real food, be it a peanut butter bagel, granola bar, whatever. Dont let yourself get to the point that youre hungry, and even if you feel like you dont need anything or you cant eat, force atleast 100 cal in per hour.

cram1960 said:
I don't mean not to do intervals, but to not cut your sessions short by burning out your legs. Do them at the end if you have to. Also, pace yourself by how hard you breathe rather than attacking hills you feel you should be able to handle.

cram1960 said:

Thanks,
Craig

I'm no cycling authority since I only started riding seriously last year but since I did my first Century yesterday I guess that qualifies me to give my $0.02.

42985.jpg

I'm now currently 218lbs

My first season (last year) I weighed 233lbs. I ate like normal because the main thing was just getting used to being on the bike. I did 5 mile sprints for the better part of the season and the goal was to keep it under 20 minutes. I did these rides about 3-4 days per week. My longest ride last season was about 32 miles.

This season I got a little more aggressive. I started the season with 15 mile rides which was pretty tough for me. I listened to advice from more advanced riders who basically told me to start logging miles and concentrate more on spinning. So I rode 3 -4 days per week with a goal of 15-20 miles depending on my body. On Sundays I started doing longer rides in Central Park about 30+ miles. (I also incorporated an extensive calisthenic program [push-ups, chin-ups, pull ups, core work] and basic weight lifting movements that work the total body like squats, deadlifts, and military presses)

Within a matter of weeks that 30 mile Central Park ride became 40, 50, and then from 70 miles a week ago, to my first Century yesterday on 9/5/09. I also recorded a personal best top speed of 41.5mph (Yes, I used Aero Bars ;) ). I had motivation because I made a deal with myself that I would finally upgrade to a pro bike after I either hit 40+mph or did my first Century. I knocked both of those out with one ride.

Anyhow, here are my pointers for you.

1) It sounds like you need to work on your fitness a little more. Get out and ride consistently. Watch your heart rate. I don't use a monitor because I have a good feel for mine but you might want to invest in one.

2) Nutrition becomes more important with the more progress you make. For example: I really believe that the reason I was able to go from 70 miles a week ago to a 'Century' just yesterday is due to my meticulous diet.

3)My sample diet is as follows:
-Breakfast: Muscle Milk protein Powder
-Mid Morning Snack: Granola Bar with a Banana (slow burning carbs)
-Lunch: Muscle Milk protein powder
-Mid Afternoon Snack: Cashews or Pistachios
-Dinner: 8oz of lean meat and a vegetable. Rice or Potato ONLY if I'm riding the bike after work
-RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE
-Pre-Bedtime: Muscle Milk protein powder.

During my rides I drink Gatorade for anything under 40 miles. More than 40 miles I use 'ACCELERADE'. This stuff ROCKS!!!!!!.

4) Remember this rule: Slow burning carbs throughout the day. Fast burning carbs during exercise. If this doesn't make sense to you I encourage you to research it. For big guys like us, it's important that we monitor our blood sugar frequently. Frequent crashing throughout the day will ruin your energy levels for when it counts. I stabilized my blood sugar the whole week before my Century.

5) Get at least 9-10 hrs of sleep the week of the Century each day. VERY IMPORTANT

6) 2 days before your Century do a 'tune up ride'. Nothing hard. Just spin for about an hour.

7) Stay Hydrated. Before my Century I was 219lbs after carb loading and after the ride I was 211 lbs. I even went through 3 bottles of Accelerade and 3 bottles of Gatorade. (To carry 4 bottles, buy an extra cage mount for your seat post to carry a 3rd bottle. Carry a 4th bottle in your Jersey)

8) Carry three O2 tubes with the correct adapter and 2 spare inner tubes. I caught a flat after dodging a snake in the road. This will save you the weight of not having to carry a pump and it's less work to inflate your tires. ;) You're inflated in a matter of seconds like magic.

9) If you hit the wall, go to a convenience store or a gas station and pick up a chocolate milk, some figs, or some peanut butter and crackers. I fed peanut butter and crackers to my friend who hit the wall after only 30 miles into the ride. About 45min later he got a second wind and he survived the whole 100 miles. **This should tell you that a Century is more about nutrition than anything else.** 4:1 Carb to Protein ratio is key here.

10) Last of all, just go out and have fun. Riding a bike is supposed to be fun afterall.

I use the following supplements relevant to Cycling:

Fish Oil Complex - Animal Omega 4-6 Grams per day
Vitamin C - 4-6,000 milligrams daily
Cordyceps - supports respiration and prevents mucous buildup 1-2 grams daily
B12 - Healthy red blood cell production
Gaspari Superpump - Before hard rides
Accelerade - DURING long rides (This stuff works great for me).
Muscle Milk - meal replacement - 300 Calories, 32g of protein 26g of Carb
Betaine HCL - Promotes complete digestion of food. Take 500mg with meals.

3)My sample diet is as follows:
-Breakfast: Muscle Milk protein Powder
-Mid Morning Snack: Granola Bar with a Banana (slow burning carbs)
-Lunch: Muscle Milk protein powder
-Mid Afternoon Snack: Cashews or Pistachios
-Dinner: 8oz of lean meat and a vegetable. Rice or Potato ONLY if I'm riding the bike after work
-RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE
-Pre-Bedtime: Muscle Milk protein powder.

You may want to try and substitute one of those muscle milk meals with real food, ie eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast. Your diet has way too much protein and not enough of anything else. I cant imagine taking in almost 90g of protein a day from shakes. Id start to feel like a dog, eating the same thing every day.

Congrats on that first century! I bet that felt great!

Feltski said:
You may want to try and substitute one of those muscle milk meals with real food, ie eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast. Your diet has way too much protein and not enough of anything else. I cant imagine taking in almost 90g of protein a day from shakes. Id start to feel like a dog, eating the same thing every day.

Congrats on that first century! I bet that felt great!

Actually, since my Sunday morning rides are at 6am, I have breakfast after that ride and that is EXACTLY what I eat. 3 whole scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast. I even throw the bacon in there to add sodium since I don't get much in my diet.

I'm not a cyclist in the purest sense so my diet is more like a bodybuilders diet. I try to get 125-175g of protein per day to retain muscle mas since I also weight lift.

You're right, getting the first Century under my belt took down a huge psychological barrier.

cram1960 said:

Thanks,
Craig

A few common problems with riding indoors are:

1. Lack of cooling
2. Boredom
3. Not being used to really maintaining a hard effort constantly for a long period of time.

Solutions:

1. Big fan. There is no substitute. If you are dripping sweat every second or two you're too hot. A big 16"+ fan at lower speed moves more air than a 12" fan at high speed and doesn't incur the annoying fan noise. Always have a drink handy too. Water is good. I do alot of training indoors and find that a large 32oz cup 3/4 filled works nicely. Cups are much easier to clean than bottles and if you can't manage to drink out of a cup while sitting up during a break then you have other issues :p

In addition to the big fan you should have 'the big towel'. A beach towel works great as both a sweat catcher when layed out across the bars and top tube and for drying you off during rest periods. Don't waste you cash on a fancy 'sweat catcher' when you already have something better ;)

2. Music... Some people watch TV. I find both distracting and avoid them unless I have nothing specific to train for. I have a big picture of a mountain road that reminds me why I want to increase the w/kg.

3. If you're beat after 25 minutes, try doing 20 minutes and resting for 5 minutes (just pedaling easy) and then try another 15 to 20 minutes. Since you never get to relax on the trainer as you would on the road it is a more brutal but effective way of training. All those little stops at the traffic lights and freewheeling around corners do help in keeping you relaxed. If you start to feel like you're having to try too hard then pop it in an easier gear. If you need to take it easy every 10 minutes to just stand up on the pedals and shake out the legs then do so.

Riding on the trainer may highlight some problems with your position too, as you no longer have the "supporting effect" of the wind. Even at 17mph when riding on the tops or on the brake lever hoods you catch a fair bit of wind which in turn takes a fair bit of weight off your hands, which of course you don't get when riding indoors... So if you do start noticing that you get a bit of arm/shoulder/neck ache that you normally don't get then don't worry too much. Make sure that your top tube is level. If it isn't then having it sloping up is better than sloping down.

With a large base of indoor training you can sucessfully complete long distance rides. Between Sept of last year and April of this I don't think I trained for more than 90 minutes per session with very little of that outdoors (3x25 minutes with 5 minutes rest). May brought several weekends of 3 hour rides at a high tempo pace. In June I completed my 'goal' ride for the year - the 198 mile, Alta Alpina Challenge, which went over 8 high mountain passes and took in 21,000ft of climbing.

I'm not the lightest person either - so one point for you too remember is gearing. As a point of reference I was ~174lbs during June and had an FTP of ~345watts but I still had a 30x32 bottom gear as I knew there were some sections between 130 and 180 miles that had sustained 10 to 12% grades with some hairpins reaching 20+% and I didn't want to go over 275watts for more than a minute. I have 'back issues' too so that further increased the desire to keep the gears low and legs pedaling easy... Having a bail out gear can be useful. I was faced with the fact that the last climb of the day which finished at 180miles started with 7.5miles of 7.6%. Gear accordingly and you'll be a happy camper like I was...

If you know the course that your ride is on you can use Analytic Cycling and the power/speed calculators to figure out how fast (or slow) you'll need to go in order maintain a sensible effort on the hills. There's no prizes for being the chump that's overgeared on the hills but there's lots of satisfaction to be had for riding past people who either fell over sideways or had to get off and push...

Spiddow! 100 kilometers miles done and done. Didn't get "hard" until mile 50, At 55 it took everything I had to keep from crying. But I didn't cry and I didn't quit...Hooray me!

Thanks for all the advice. Not going out too fast was key, as was keep eating and drinking.

Craig
6'1" - 250 lbs