CO2 Pumps: Recommended?

rtsy

Jul 30, 2003
Pardon the stup1d newbie questions.

1--How does one make sure one gets the right tire pressure using a CO2 pump?

2--How many flats can each CO2 pump fill to typical road cycling tire pressure levels? (This drives how many cartridges to bring on a ride, right?)

3--What are the pros and cons of CO2 type pumps vs. other types?

Thanks.

Originally posted by rtsy
Pardon the stup1d newbie questions.

1--How does one make sure one gets the right tire pressure using a CO2 pump?

2--How many flats can each CO2 pump fill to typical road cycling tire pressure levels? (This drives how many cartridges to bring on a ride, right?)

3--What are the pros and cons of CO2 type pumps vs. other types?

Thanks.

Just check the tire as you feel it. I pinch it. it goes very fast. usualy only one tire per cartridge depending on size.
the cost I guess. you have to carry cartrdiges. but you can get them cheep at walmart.

usually i you use a 12g CO2 cartridge, it should be able to inflate a 700 tire to about 90 to 100 lbs...if you use a 16g cartridge it goes up to 135 lbs I think...so look for the grams specs on the cartridge.
Pros of CO2 system is that...it's good to use for emergency while you're on the road. It's quick, lightweight and compact. But since it's gas, it won't stay inflated as long as if you had used a regular air pump. But you don't use CO2 to pump your tires regularly anyway.

Originally posted by Rudy
usually i you use a 12g CO2 cartridge, it should be able to inflate a 700 tire to about 90 to 100 lbs...if you use a 16g cartridge it goes up to 135 lbs I think...so look for the grams specs on the cartridge.
Pros of CO2 system is that...it's good to use for emergency while you're on the road. It's quick, lightweight and compact. But since it's gas, it won't stay inflated as long as if you had used a regular air pump. But you don't use CO2 to pump your tires regularly anyway.

The Continentals on my road bike are rated up to 170psi. Any CO2 cartridges that go up to that much?

Yes, this pump would be the one I'd carry on a ride for use in a flat. I have a Park Tooks foot pump at home.

The Continentals on my road bike are rated up to 170psi. Any CO2 cartridges that go up to that much?

I think you should consider the CO2 system as a means to repair/replace your flat tyre so you can ride home as opposed to walking the bike back or obtaining some other means to get back to were you started from.

I use an Innovations Ultraflate CO2 inflation system, and though I only needed it 4 times in the last 2 years, it has worked perfectly. I carry an extra tube, and 2 - 12g. cartridges. ( My tyres are Michelin Open Pros, 700 x 23).

I would recommend the threadless style. (Replacement cartridges are much cheaper!)

I also took a drill and put a hole in the bottom of the yellow cartridge retainer that allows me to install a CO2 cartridge backwards with the tip of the cartridge protruding out the bottom with the inflator assembled. (Saves a little room in the saddle bag).

Yes, this pump would be the one I'd carry on a ride for use in a flat. I have a Park Tooks foot pump at home.

Usually the lbs pressure is dependent on your weight...not the capacity of your tires..so if you're 160lbs or less, I think you can inflate it to around 100 psi and that is more than efficient.

Again, it's best for you to use to get home...in case of emergency..
so you don't have to walk home.

Originally posted by Cipher

I would recommend the threadless style. (Replacement cartridges are much cheaper!)
there is alteast one pump that wil ltaek abotu any cartridge threaded and non threaded. thats the one I got.

Usually the lbs pressure is dependent on your weight...not the capacity of your tires......

actually the pressure is dependent on the containing volume and the amount of gas put into it. (temperature too, but let's not go there)

I get enough pressure from a 12g canister to get myself home on my 700x23s. A 16 will fill one completely. You'll have to try a 12 and a 16 in your contis and see what you get. (one at a time, right?) Just guessing, but I'd think you'll need the 16 to get 160psi.

I don't carry a pump at all any more. Too much weight and too much work and too much time to get back to riding.

Originally posted by rollers
I don't carry a pump at all any more. Too much weight and too much work and too much time to get back to riding.
what do you do if you get a flat

"what do you do if you get a flat"

I think he meant to say he doesn't carry a traditional hand pump but does carry only a CO2 system. (He mentioned this in a previous post).

Originally posted by Cipher
"what do you do if you get a flat"

I think he meant to say he doesn't carry a traditional hand pump but does carry only a CO2 system. (He mentioned this in a previous post).

Exactly. Thanks, Cipher.

Originally posted by rollers
actually the pressure is dependent on the containing volume and the amount of gas put into it. (temperature too, but let's not go there)

I get enough pressure from a 12g canister to get myself home on my 700x23s. A 16 will fill one completely. You'll have to try a 12 and a 16 in your contis and see what you get. (one at a time, right?) Just guessing, but I'd think you'll need the 16 to get 160psi.

no....what I meant was...whether you put 100 psi or 170 psi into the tires are based on how much you weigh. If you're light, then you don't have to inflate the tires as much and vice versa.

I've seen one clever little combination co2-pump. That might be the ultimate choice-pump the first one on your trip with the CO2 in a hurry, use the pump . The pump was pretty small, it looks as though it would take some effort to pump a tire up-but you're not stranded if you need plural cartridges.

I generally prefer the pump.

If I'm somewhere I might get stranded, I take along a tire sealant can.

My experience is that 50% of my patch repairs either don't set properly or I miss the second or third hole. I hate to rely on an untested patch repair if I'm more than 3 miles from home/work/subway.

no....what I meant was...whether you put 100 psi or 170 psi into the tires are based on how much you weigh. If you're light, then you don't have to inflate the tires as much and vice versa.

Very true. Sorry if I misread.