tire pumps co2 or not?

wyllisx2

Jun 30, 2003
Today I had my first close call with popping a tire. It has me thinking that perhaps I should be carrying a tube & lever with me.

But since this is new to me does anyone have a preference between regular pump or co2?

I'm not overly concerned with weight, I just want to strap it on my top tube & throw a spare tube in my pack.

Willisx2,
After five flats in the last two months :mad:, I feel I am quickly becoming an expert on this subject. You definately need to carry a set of levers if you need them to R and R your tire, as well as a patch kit and a spare tube. I personally favor the CO2. It is so quick and effortless, just carry a couple spare cartridges. The other option is not to ride any further from your house than you are willing to walk.
Good luck, Bone

How about a couple levers and a patch kit?

Tubes don't usually blow out and end up with a big hole unless you install them incorrectly and immediately inflate to full pressure.

Learn proper install technique and carry a glueless patch kit. Lighter and more compact than a tube, and less waste (there's nothing wrong with a patched tube).

I carry a small double action pump, which I end up using about twice per year. I ride on rather large tires and I'm not sure a CO2 cartridge would fill one up for me.

CO2 molecules are larger than air molecules (mainly nitrogen), so theoretically they should effuse through the tube walls slower than air...

TD

Thanks guys. I think I'll be going with a co2 pump, a lever, a patch kit & probably a spare tube. The tube may not make it into the pack if there isn't room.

I never really go too far from home but I don't weanna be trudging back 10 miles to home covered with road rash.

The fastest way to fix a flat is with a spare tube and CO2. (Unless you have ride support like Lance)
Be prepared. You'll never regret it.
Enjoy your ride !

Ok, some will call me geek, but that's OK! I have a seat bag, with patch, tube, tools, and CO2. I also have a frame pump. After patching or a tube change, a couple of pumps with the hand pump seats the tire, and the CO2 quickly gets me to riding pressure.

MAKE SURE THE CO2 PUMP and CARTRIDGE ARE SIZED FOR YOUR TIRE SIZE!

With the Co2 Pump always take at least 2 cannisters in reserve.
I managed to get 2 punctures one front and one rear a couple of weeks ago and only had the one cannister. A very polite phone call home got me picked up.

Dave N

Originally posted by wyllisx2
Today I had my first close call with popping a tire. It has me thinking that perhaps I should be carrying a tube & lever with me.

But since this is new to me does anyone have a preference between regular pump or co2?

I'm not overly concerned with weight, I just want to strap it on my top tube & throw a spare tube in my pack.

bring levers if you need em for youre tires and rims and to maybe help someone else out, of course bring a tube and why not patches, and co2 vs pump is an arguement that on other forums ive seen get as bad as the one btn shimano and campy, but like with that one both work and its preference mostly