Coda Competition rear hub problem

Grey

Guest
I just bought a set of used wheels, 28 hole Open Pros laced to Coda
Expert front and Coda Competition rear hubs (rear hub is yellow
anodized).

>From the first pedal stroke, the rear wheel was making a lot of noise

which sounded like spokes rubbing against each other. The sound
lessened on the second ride, but I noticed severe resistence to
pedalling.

Now (after 2 rides) when the rear wheel is on a trueing stand with the
quick release closed very gently, it spins relatively freely in the
forward direction, but I can hardly get the cassette to turn. If I spin
the wheel backwards as hard as I can, it stops dead within 2 to 3
revolutions. (spinning backwards of course forces the cassette to
turn).

Sounds like the freehub bearings (or the freehub itself) are shot. Is
it worth trying to fix the hub, or should I just replace it and rebuild
the wheel? The rim is straight and I'd like to reuse it since it
matches the yellow anodized front rim, and is no longer available? Any
reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks for your help,

Gernot

Grey wrote:
---snip---
> Is
> it worth trying to fix the hub, or should I just replace it and rebuild
> the wheel? The rim is straight and I'd like to reuse it since it
> matches the yellow anodized front rim, and is no longer available? Any
> reason why I shouldn't?

---/snip---

Based on my experience with Coda hubs, I'd say chuck and replace. ISTR
that Hugi did the internals, but cannondale (or someone else) machined
the hubshells. 'Machined' is the operative term, as they (at least,
the ones I had) were definitely not forged. THis became readily
apparent as my moderately tensioned spokes kept elongating the spoke
holes (something that I only figured out after months of retensioning
and retruing), until the front hub totally failed.

Keep the rims, provided they're round, true (when untensioned), and not
overly worn.

SYJ