Cold Set Frame 135 to 145

bwgride

Guest
I'm considering spreading rear stays of a steel frame from 135mm to
145mm to accommodate a tandem hub. Frankly, cold setting the rear of
the frame 10mm (5mm on either side) does not seem to me to be much of
an issue since it is only 1/4 of an inch on either side, but I would
like feedback from any with experience cold setting a frame by 10mm or
more.

What issues have arisen (or will likely arise) as a result of a 10mm+
spread? If I brace the bridges to prevent cracks while I spread the
frame, is there likely to be any problems that result?

Will I probably need to realign the dropouts so they are parallel, or
will going from 135mm to 145mm not likely change the angle of the
dropouts much?

Actually, in case it makes you feel any better about your project, 5mm
is .197" .

3/16" is .187"

Therefore, if you know that you will not be moving anywhere near 1/4"
but only 3/16", I think you will see that your project is VERY
'doable'.

And, yes, I have done this more than once.

Good luck with your project.

Lewis.

*****

On 7 Jun 2006 23:25:14 -0700, "bwgride" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm considering spreading rear stays of a steel frame from 135mm to
>145mm to accommodate a tandem hub. Frankly, cold setting the rear of
>the frame 10mm (5mm on either side) does not seem to me to be much of
>an issue since it is only 1/4 of an inch on either side, but I would
>like feedback from any with experience cold setting a frame by 10mm or
>more.

I know my frame was cold set by that amount at the shop, to fit in the
tandem hub.

Jasper