cold weather riding

Mike Latondresse wrote:
> [email protected] wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > My problem is anything below ~60F my nose starts running. The
> > colder it gets the more it runs. Every time I try a balaclava it
> > causes my glasses to fog up.
> > What's a poor soul to do :-o
> >

> Wear the balaclava but connect your nose to your glasses so the drip
> will clear up the fogging.

Yeah, let my the wind in my face from my blindingly fast 30mph speed
force the snot up to the top of my glasses where it will fall down from
gravity to clear my glasses. Kool. Thanks for the tip :-(
John

Hello Peter
>From your description of clothing I get the impression that U're bare

ass necked from waist to shoes. Man you must be tough!
John

Dear Almost
This is really great. For 20+ years I've felt that my polypro undies
were the most effective. I agree that there are more questions to be
answered, but still this is a great start.
John

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:56:27 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]>
scribbled:

>RE/
>>Every time I try a balaclava it causes my
>>glasses to fog up.
>>What's a poor soul to do :-o

>1-day disposable contacts are my fallback position.

Be careful with contacts (and your eyes in general) if it gets really
cold outside. One of our Iditarod mushers this last race damaged his
eyes severely after choosing to ride a section of the race sans
goggles, due to the fogging problem and to try and see the trail
better through the technical sections.

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/news/story/4853452p-4790068c.html

And here's a link about that Yukon Quest ride with the various
failures encountered along the way.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/4642867p-4599504c.html

(not sure if it'll pop up a registration or not)

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear Almost
> This is really great. For 20+ years I've felt that my polypro undies
> were the most effective. I agree that there are more questions to be
> answered, but still this is a great start.
> John

Thanks! I know drying time isn't the whole picture. Besides riding, I
just don't know how else to measure comfort of clothes in cold weather.

Art harris wrote:
>No fabric will dry on you once it gets wet. You want something next to

>your skin that will wick moisture away and transfer it to the outer

layer
>where it will evaporate. Wool and some of the synthetic fabrics are

good
>at wicking.

How can I measure the wicking of a garment? I've timed the drying time
of several garments. Data at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/dry/

All this advice is great. I say, thank God for cold weather riding; once you hit on the right combo of clothes, it is soooooooo much more enjoyable than riding when it's really hot, which I've always found truly miserable. I find that there are few things that feel as healthy as getting back from a 2-3 hour ride in the cold, especially if you were sucking wind a bit! The keys to me seem to be (i) dealing with the wind [it'll freeze you right quick] and (ii) making sure that you do not get wet with sweat at all -- same principle as winter hiking, you must ensure that you remain dry or you can get very very very cold -- so you need something that will wick it away. Sometimes it is hard to keep your hands and toes warm ... I believe, for the feet, I have seen these battery-powered booties kind of like they used to have for alpine skiing -- no idea if they help. For the hands, you can get some of those "glove warmers" at Home Depot, but caution b/c they get really hot.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:02:16 -0600, Greg <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been too cold to ride more than about 1.5 hr (normally I like
>to ride 2-3 hrs). The weather is only about mid 50's, but a 20 mph
>wind chill just makes me want to come in after an hour or so. What is
>the best way to dress for this?

A breathable windproof shell with ventilation zippers and light coolmax
underneath to keep you dry .

Ben

almost_fast wrote:

> How can I measure the wicking of a garment? I've timed the drying

time
> of several garments. Data at

http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/dry/

Don't know how you'd measure wicking, but the Icebike website
recommends that fabrics used next to the skin should not absorb
moisture. The job of the "skin layer" is to transport mosture; the
outer layers are to block wind and insulate.
See:
http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/underlayers.htm

Art Harris

Art Harris wrote:
> Don't know how you'd measure wicking, but the Icebike
> website recommends that fabrics used next to the skin
> should not absorb moisture. The job of the "skin layer"
> is to transport mosture; the outer layers are to block
> wind and insulate. See:
> http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/underlayers.htm

RIght, we agree.

I just find some of my "wicking" layers feel wet on my skin after
riding a while. Trying to *measure* the difference between good wicking
garments and garments that just have a "marketing amount" of wicking is
the hard part for me.

If you get a chance look into the CRAFT wind blocker undershirt....they work
well.

LUIGI
"Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I have been too cold to ride more than about 1.5 hr (normally I like
> to ride 2-3 hrs). The weather is only about mid 50's, but a 20 mph
> wind chill just makes me want to come in after an hour or so. What is
> the best way to dress for this?

SNOT ROCKETS!

Luigi

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> My problem is anything below ~60F my nose starts running. The colder it
>> gets the more it runs. Every time I try a balaclava it causes my
>> glasses to fog up.
>> What's a poor soul to do :-o
>>

> You clear your nose in the rather disgusting roadie way, i.e. hold one
> nostril shut and blow the other one over your shoulder. Not recommended
> if you're at the front of a group.

GoCycle top-posted:

> SNOT ROCKETS!
>
> Luigi