Cold Weather Riding

snugent

Aug 1, 2005
Hey, I'm currently away at college, but when I go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, I want to get on my bike at least once or twice a week. I live on Long Island, so it's going to be pretty cold. Any suggestions on what to wear? (baselayers...) Thanks

Check the weather in NY, its balmy at the moment. It may get colder but I am riding in NY every morning. You need a long sleeve jersey and leg warmers. I usually ride with a wind proof vest.

Its not cold yet. Wait 'till you come back in Feb.

snugent said:
Hey, I'm currently away at college, but when I go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, I want to get on my bike at least once or twice a week. I live on Long Island, so it's going to be pretty cold. Any suggestions on what to wear? (baselayers...) Thanks
All depends on how much you want to invest in winter bike clothes. You can ride down to 32*F or so with tights, a baselayer, long sleeve jersey, and light wind jacket. You'll also want gloves and shoe covers. If money isn't an issue, you can walk into most LBS and get set up for $200-300.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you can get by with nylon "wind pants" or even sweatpants on your legs, and an undershirt/sweatshirt on top. For hands, just put on some knit gloves over your shorty cycling gloves.

Don't forget the feet. Most cycling shoes are ventilated for summer, and cold feet can make a ride misterable. I think shoe covers or booties are worth the money in comfort, but you can improvise there too by using a pair of heavy wool socks over your cycling shoes (slit or cutout the bottom for your cleats). Some guys throw plastic baggies over their shoes just to block the wind, but they never seemed to do much for me.

Above advice is good and I have to ad if it's Below 55F cover ears and hands if its below 35F cover vent holes on helmet and face.

Thanks alot....I'm at school in the Bronx, so I have a good idea of what the weather is going to be like for the next few weeks. I just bought a waterproof/windproof Nike Clima-Fit jacket, so that should be nice...gonna invest in a longsleeve jersey though..

snugent said:
Thanks alot....I'm at school in the Bronx, so I have a good idea of what the weather is going to be like for the next few weeks. I just bought a waterproof/windproof Nike Clima-Fit jacket, so that should be nice...gonna invest in a longsleeve jersey though..
Just ask a messenger in your area who's gone through the winter.
I've ridden most of the day in -20 and colder weather.

Bottom
Long johns (silk if you got 'em)
Sweats
Long stretchy cycling pants
Wind barrier.
Long Johns
Long sleeve shirt
Vest ....keeping the warm warm is most important in ANY cold weather sport.
Lined and windproof jacket or equal layers.
GOOD EYE COVERING

Adjust to taste.
Remember not to make your socks too thick....you need layer of air or you will get frostbite on the toes.....you MUST be able to wiggle them.

Again ask a messenger, they will know how the cold weather affects the body on certain geographical areas as humidity plays a huge role. You can always wear too much and lighten into a backpack, too little and it might ruin riding for a year, (freezing lung linings, tendonitis from freeze cartilage, wind burn, snow bindness, wind eye...ow)

Just rode the LIE service road this morning, was 38 degrees when I left.

3 layers on top, base was the Nike base layer, fits tight, then long sleeve jersey and a Izumi jacket (sorry can't remember which model, but its blue and black and built for colder weather, even with the vented back)

warm thick tights and wool cycling socks. long fingered gloves.

most important, skull cap under the helmet. otherwise, the wind through your helmet will freeze your head and you will lose most of your body heat.

In the shade, I only felt cold when stopped for a light or coasting fast downhill. ride back was in the sun (westbound service road) and fine.

What I noticed is very few riders compared to 3 weekends ago; leaves on most roads are not a problem; some frost on the ground to avoid. I'm going to keep going outside until I have to worry about ice.

I'll look for you over the weekend.

snugent said:

Now that the weather is changing, only the hardcore will be on the roads. Sure makes gettin' back and forth to and from work a little easier. Layers and be careful.....if it's shiny or reflecting light don't ride on it. :p It might be black ice, very common as the lead footed drivers re-learn what winter is, especially around intersections. Still good riding to have in the winter.

This is my first winter riding outside. I didn't think I needed booties until it got colder, but I rode 30 miles last week at 33F and I had to stop at a CVS (20 miles into my trip) to get feeling back in my toes (couldn't even move them they were so frozen), and then I couldn't move them anymore once I got home. Moral of the story, under 40-45 degrees, booties are a necessity (btw, I was also wearing 3 pairs of socks and still froze).

Go to performance.com. They have a rating system cold, coldest, extreme cold on what you should get. Im riding in mass and its cold already. get the tights for exteme temps now, cause you will need it already. Become a member and get points on next purchase. Their items are half if not more savings compared to a LBS.

dhk said:
All depends on how much you want to invest in winter bike clothes. You can ride down to 32*F or so with tights, a baselayer, long sleeve jersey, and light wind jacket. You'll also want gloves and shoe covers. If money isn't an issue, you can walk into most LBS and get set up for $200-300.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you can get by with nylon "wind pants" or even sweatpants on your legs, and an undershirt/sweatshirt on top. For hands, just put on some knit gloves over your shorty cycling gloves.

Don't forget the feet. Most cycling shoes are ventilated for summer, and cold feet can make a ride misterable. I think shoe covers or booties are worth the money in comfort, but you can improvise there too by using a pair of heavy wool socks over your cycling shoes (slit or cutout the bottom for your cleats). Some guys throw plastic baggies over their shoes just to block the wind, but they never seemed to do much for me.

Too many socks dude!!!! No warm air in the shoe and you're toessies are toast. One pair of socks the shoes and the booties take care of everything. New word for the week: Wind Chill, learn it, respect it, and enjoy your winter biking. The freezing mark is just the beginning of cold weather biking. :cool:

What's everyone think about tyres for cold weather? I can see how knobblies on the mountain bike would probably be better for snow but would you change your road bike tyres? Is avoiding the slippery stuff the best (only?) option?

As for the clothing I've also been recomended to try a buff (kind of a tube which can be a hat,scarf, balaclava, etc etc www.buffusa.com) they look pretty good but I haven't had myself down the shop to get one yet.

Studded tires worked good last year for ice but if there is more than 2 inches of snow it is like riding on sand so I don't ride if there is 2 inches forecast.

bajs-eye said:
What's everyone think about tyres for cold weather? I can see how knobblies on the mountain bike would probably be better for snow but would you change your road bike tyres? Is avoiding the slippery stuff the best (only?) option?

As for the clothing I've also been recomended to try a buff (kind of a tube which can be a hat,scarf, balaclava, etc etc www.buffusa.com) they look pretty good but I haven't had myself down the shop to get one yet.

snugent said:
My company makes cold/weather weather riding apparel...but only jackets at the moment...so I can comment on the other stuff without seeming like I'm pitching.

Sugoi makes some of the great leg gear around in terms of warmth and wind resistance. Additionally, I'm very fond of my SportHill tights...they were designed for cross country skiing so are a bit short in back are really warm and windproof.

I've been communting (its wet here in seattle) wearing Marmot ski gloves which are great for the wet/cold...they look like hell but I'm always toasty.

I've not found a good solution to keep my feet warm.

since there was ice patches in the puddle at the base of my driveway yesterday and today, didn't ride at all. maybe sunday. did you make it out on the road?

snugent said:

I bike in NewEngland in the winter and when it gets down to 20 and below it's impossible to keep the hands and feet warm - I have booties and great gloves but after a half hour I'm done at 20 degrees.

What is needed is battery powered inserts for mitts/gloves and cycling shoes - if anybody knows where I can find some let me know ???

I've heard of hunter's socks and gloves warmed by a 9volt. Never looked into it though, the image of a short scared me, lol. As I get to be 40 I think I might look into it. I'm not tolerating the extremes, hot or cold, as well as I used to. Am I turning into a cranky old fart? lol

I'm alot closer to 50 than 40. I don't know if you are turning cranky or farty, but you are not turning old.

Traffic Jammer said:
I've heard of hunter's socks and gloves warmed by a 9volt. Never looked into it though, the image of a short scared me, lol. As I get to be 40 I think I might look into it. I'm not tolerating the extremes, hot or cold, as well as I used to. Am I turning into a cranky old fart? lol

Well not OLD in the classical sense, but in my ability to go pound the pedals in 35C or -15C and lower without adverse effects. In my 20's I'd go all day in the most disgusting of weather, with a smile.

litespeedguy said:
What is needed is battery powered inserts for mitts/gloves and cycling shoes - if anybody knows where I can find some let me know ???

For off-the-shelf stuff, look here: http://www.hotronic.com/products/footwarmers/index.htm

They're OK, but the power is farly low and might not be sufficient if you're really cold. I built my own using resistance wires used in heating elements. If I'm standing still I can see the snow melting around my shoes :)

You might find electrical patch elements at a store that sell motorbike accessories, these can be used to create your own heated bike handles for instance.