cold weather tips?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bach37, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Bach37

    Bach37 Guest

    Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
    weather riding? Thanks.

    -Scott

    Tags:

  2. Tim Burgher

    Tim Burgher Guest

    I ride to work and school every day here in Burlington Vermont. I wear long johns, jeans, normal
    shoes, burly socks, one shirt, one button down plaid shirt and a sweatshirt. That way I don't get
    too hot and my knees/legs get warm. However, for longer rides I am not really sure what to wear as
    the above combination of clothes is not ideal for performance biking... But it's fun!

    My ride to work and school is only a few miles or so.

    Oh yeah, I wear big ski gloves too. If I am just riding around practicing in above 0 degrees celcius
    weather I wear jeans (nothing underneath except some briefs) and a sweatshirt cause I usually get
    pretty hot.

    What does everyone else where for longer winter rides?

  3. Smith John

    Smith John Guest

    go here for some ideas...the 2 sided pants and jacket are good for the cooler weather (i usually
    have just the pants on with riding shorts and a shirt-sweater-jacket combo) this is good to about
    -15 deg C which is about 5F oh you might also want something on your feet...good luck and happy
    winter rideing...by bike is my main trasportation and in live in Canada all year round...

    one note...take care of your chain and gears or you may get too much grit in it from the
    road sand...:)

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
    > weather riding? Thanks.
    >
    >-Scott

    Lightweight breathable shell, wicking material underneath.

    Bill

    :-]

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
    > weather riding? Thanks.
    >
    >-Scott

    Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't yet
    tried the biking booties yet.

    No reason to stop riding. The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
    that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  6. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    > On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
    > > weather riding? Thanks.
    > >
    > >-Scott
    >
    > Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't
    > yet tried the biking booties yet.
    >
    > No reason to stop riding.

    I have some of those neoprene booties. Work great. Added insulation and wind proof. Keep your
    feet dry, also. Unless you splash through a bunch of puddles, since water can get through the
    cleat cutouts.

    --
    Cameron

  7. Smith John

    Smith John Guest

    ooops www.mec.ca "smith john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > go here for some ideas...the 2 sided pants and jacket are good for the cooler weather (i usually
    > have just the pants on with riding shorts and a shirt-sweater-jacket combo) this is good to about
    > -15 deg C which is about 5F oh you might also want something on your feet...good luck and happy
    > winter rideing...by bike is my main trasportation and in live in Canada
    all
    > year round...
    >
    > one note...take care of your chain and gears or you may get too much grit
    in
    > it from the road sand...:)

  8. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    > On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
    > > weather riding? Thanks.
    > >
    > >-Scott
    >
    > Lightweight breathable shell, wicking material underneath.

    Vest, ear warmer under helmet; wool socks and booties.

    Penny

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

    > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about
    > > > cold weather riding? Thanks.
    > > >
    > > >-Scott
    > >
    > > Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't
    > > yet tried the biking booties yet.
    > >
    > > No reason to stop riding.
    >
    > I have some of those neoprene booties. Work great. Added insulation and wind proof. Keep your feet
    > dry, also. Unless you splash through a bunch of puddles, since water can get through the cleat
    > cutouts.
    >
    > --
    > Cameron

    I tried the two thin wool socks and a "wind breaker" sock for my racing bike. This delayed the
    "freezing toe" syndrome until about 45 minutes or so. Next, I'm trying larger shoes, a thicker wool
    sock (still another wool sock and a "wind breaker" sock) and neoprene booties. If there's one thing
    I don't like, it's cold hands and feet. For the hands, I have a "lobster" glove, but I'm going to
    start wearing a liner inside this glove, as I'm still a bit chilly the last part of my ride.

  10. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...

    >>>Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't
    >>>yet tried the biking booties yet.
    >>>
    >>>No reason to stop riding.
    >>
    >>I have some of those neoprene booties. Work great. Added insulation and wind proof. Keep your feet
    >>dry, also. Unless you splash through a bunch of puddles, since water can get through the cleat
    >>cutouts.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Cameron
    >>

    > I tried the two thin wool socks and a "wind breaker" sock for my racing bike. This delayed the
    > "freezing toe" syndrome until about 45 minutes or so. Next, I'm trying larger shoes, a thicker
    > wool sock (still another wool sock and a "wind breaker" sock) and neoprene booties. If there's
    > one thing I don't like, it's cold hands and feet. For the hands, I have a "lobster" glove, but
    > I'm going to start wearing a liner inside this glove, as I'm still a bit chilly the last part of
    > my ride.

    I'm with you. I hate cold hands and feet, but between the two, I find cold feet more
    worrisome. I can pull my gloves off to check my fingers, and blow on them or hold them
    against my belly (argghhh!) to re-warm them enough to finish the ride back without damage.
    It's basically impractical (involving removal of multiple layers, and possibly, sitting in a
    snowbank to do it) to check excessively cold toes. And being that I haven't figured out any
    feasible way to re-warm them anyhow - at least without attempting to recruit help from
    passersby, and I can only imagine the reaction a stranger would have to a request to stick
    my feet in their armpits - I don't even bother. I've tried various combinations of socks and
    neoprene booties, etc. What works best for me is loosening the laces on my shoes all the way
    down, giving myself as much wiggle room as possible, one pair of coolmax socks, one pair of
    very thick wool socks over that, then a chemical toewarmer packet stuck to the underside of
    the wool socks, then my normal shoes, laced loosely. With that setup, I'm good for about two
    and a half hours, provided I stay out of creeks. I've tried adding sealskin socks over the
    other layers, but my experience is that they make my feet sweat so bad that any benefit from
    keeping outside water off is negated.

    Kathleen

  11. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
    > weather riding? Thanks.

    I swear by balaclavas.

    Got two of 'em - one lightweight, the other heavy. Will probably get a third in-between this season.

    The one I get the most milage out of is sort of like fairly heavy lycra.
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > bach37 wrote:

    > Cold weather tips?

    Try a thermal bra.

    Shaun aRe - "Hey, that chick's smuggling peanuts!"

  13. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

    On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:14:37 GMT, "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I ride to work and school every day here in Burlington Vermont. I wear long johns, jeans, normal
    >shoes, burly socks, one shirt, one button down plaid shirt and a sweatshirt. That way I don't get
    >too hot and my knees/legs get warm. However, for longer rides I am not really sure what to wear as
    >the above combination of clothes is not ideal for performance biking... But it's fun!
    >
    >My ride to work and school is only a few miles or so.
    >
    >Oh yeah, I wear big ski gloves too. If I am just riding around practicing in above 0 degrees
    >celcius weather I wear jeans (nothing underneath except some briefs) and a sweatshirt cause I
    >usually get pretty hot.
    >
    >What does everyone else where for longer winter rides?

    Go here for more info.

    http://www.enteract.com/%7Eicebike/

    Also, why not dress like they do in XC skiing? Tights, full body underwear, shells (body, head).
    It's just winter, not the bottom of the ocean.

    MTBguy.ca

  14. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > > bach37 wrote:
    >
    > > Cold weather tips?
    >

    > Try a thermal bra.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - "Hey, that chick's smuggling peanuts!"

    Which one do you use? Cause I find that the Champion Jog Bra is the only thing that keeps the
    "bounce" under control ... but its really not warm enough. Is it okay to wear a black bra under a
    white shirt?

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Cinder Girl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > bach37 wrote:
    > >
    > > > Cold weather tips?
    > >

    > > Try a thermal bra.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - "Hey, that chick's smuggling peanuts!"
    > >

    > Which one do you use?

    I don't - I'm too flat chested, well, apart from the muscles......

    > Cause I find that the Champion Jog Bra is the only thing that keeps the "bounce" under control

    You don't wanna do that. Spoils everyone's fun....

    >... but its really not warm enough. Is it okay to wear a black bra under a white shirt?

    It's obligatory to. Well, that or no bra at all. The latter is especially recommended during
    rainstorms.....

    Shaun aRe - always HTH with the fashion advice.