cold weather tips?

Bach37

Guest
Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
weather riding? Thanks.

-Scott

I ride to work and school every day here in Burlington Vermont. I wear long johns, jeans, normal
shoes, burly socks, one shirt, one button down plaid shirt and a sweatshirt. That way I don't get
too hot and my knees/legs get warm. However, for longer rides I am not really sure what to wear as
the above combination of clothes is not ideal for performance biking... But it's fun!

My ride to work and school is only a few miles or so.

Oh yeah, I wear big ski gloves too. If I am just riding around practicing in above 0 degrees celcius
weather I wear jeans (nothing underneath except some briefs) and a sweatshirt cause I usually get
pretty hot.

What does everyone else where for longer winter rides?

go here for some ideas...the 2 sided pants and jacket are good for the cooler weather (i usually
have just the pants on with riding shorts and a shirt-sweater-jacket combo) this is good to about
-15 deg C which is about 5F oh you might also want something on your feet...good luck and happy
winter rideing...by bike is my main trasportation and in live in Canada all year round...

one note...take care of your chain and gears or you may get too much grit in it from the
road sand...:)

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
> weather riding? Thanks.
>
>-Scott

Lightweight breathable shell, wicking material underneath.

Bill

:-]

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
> weather riding? Thanks.
>
>-Scott

Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't yet
tried the biking booties yet.

No reason to stop riding. The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

> On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
> > weather riding? Thanks.
> >
> >-Scott
>
> Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't
> yet tried the biking booties yet.
>
> No reason to stop riding.

I have some of those neoprene booties. Work great. Added insulation and wind proof. Keep your
feet dry, also. Unless you splash through a bunch of puddles, since water can get through the
cleat cutouts.

--
Cameron

ooops www.mec.ca "smith john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> go here for some ideas...the 2 sided pants and jacket are good for the cooler weather (i usually
> have just the pants on with riding shorts and a shirt-sweater-jacket combo) this is good to about
> -15 deg C which is about 5F oh you might also want something on your feet...good luck and happy
> winter rideing...by bike is my main trasportation and in live in Canada
all
> year round...
>
> one note...take care of your chain and gears or you may get too much grit
in
> it from the road sand...:)

> On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
> > weather riding? Thanks.
> >
> >-Scott
>
> Lightweight breathable shell, wicking material underneath.

Vest, ear warmer under helmet; wool socks and booties.

Penny

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

> "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:56:27 GMT, bach37 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about
> > > cold weather riding? Thanks.
> > >
> > >-Scott
> >
> > Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't
> > yet tried the biking booties yet.
> >
> > No reason to stop riding.
>
> I have some of those neoprene booties. Work great. Added insulation and wind proof. Keep your feet
> dry, also. Unless you splash through a bunch of puddles, since water can get through the cleat
> cutouts.
>
> --
> Cameron

I tried the two thin wool socks and a "wind breaker" sock for my racing bike. This delayed the
"freezing toe" syndrome until about 45 minutes or so. Next, I'm trying larger shoes, a thicker wool
sock (still another wool sock and a "wind breaker" sock) and neoprene booties. If there's one thing
I don't like, it's cold hands and feet. For the hands, I have a "lobster" glove, but I'm going to
start wearing a liner inside this glove, as I'm still a bit chilly the last part of my ride.

Bob wrote:
> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>
>>"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Oh yeah get some thermal fleece biking/running tights, loose shoes and thick socks. .... Haven't
>>>yet tried the biking booties yet.
>>>
>>>No reason to stop riding.
>>
>>I have some of those neoprene booties. Work great. Added insulation and wind proof. Keep your feet
>>dry, also. Unless you splash through a bunch of puddles, since water can get through the cleat
>>cutouts.
>>
>>--
>>Cameron
>>

> I tried the two thin wool socks and a "wind breaker" sock for my racing bike. This delayed the
> "freezing toe" syndrome until about 45 minutes or so. Next, I'm trying larger shoes, a thicker
> wool sock (still another wool sock and a "wind breaker" sock) and neoprene booties. If there's
> one thing I don't like, it's cold hands and feet. For the hands, I have a "lobster" glove, but
> I'm going to start wearing a liner inside this glove, as I'm still a bit chilly the last part of
> my ride.

I'm with you. I hate cold hands and feet, but between the two, I find cold feet more
worrisome. I can pull my gloves off to check my fingers, and blow on them or hold them
against my belly (argghhh!) to re-warm them enough to finish the ride back without damage.
It's basically impractical (involving removal of multiple layers, and possibly, sitting in a
snowbank to do it) to check excessively cold toes. And being that I haven't figured out any
feasible way to re-warm them anyhow - at least without attempting to recruit help from
passersby, and I can only imagine the reaction a stranger would have to a request to stick
my feet in their armpits - I don't even bother. I've tried various combinations of socks and
neoprene booties, etc. What works best for me is loosening the laces on my shoes all the way
down, giving myself as much wiggle room as possible, one pair of coolmax socks, one pair of
very thick wool socks over that, then a chemical toewarmer packet stuck to the underside of
the wool socks, then my normal shoes, laced loosely. With that setup, I'm good for about two
and a half hours, provided I stay out of creeks. I've tried adding sealskin socks over the
other layers, but my experience is that they make my feet sweat so bad that any benefit from
keeping outside water off is negated.

Kathleen

RE/
> Hey guys I enjoy riding on trails, but it is quite cold now in NC! Any suggestions about cold
> weather riding? Thanks.

I swear by balaclavas.

Got two of 'em - one lightweight, the other heavy. Will probably get a third in-between this season.

The one I get the most milage out of is sort of like fairly heavy lycra.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

> bach37 wrote:

> Cold weather tips?

Try a thermal bra.

Shaun aRe - "Hey, that chick's smuggling peanuts!"

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:14:37 GMT, "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I ride to work and school every day here in Burlington Vermont. I wear long johns, jeans, normal
>shoes, burly socks, one shirt, one button down plaid shirt and a sweatshirt. That way I don't get
>too hot and my knees/legs get warm. However, for longer rides I am not really sure what to wear as
>the above combination of clothes is not ideal for performance biking... But it's fun!
>
>My ride to work and school is only a few miles or so.
>
>Oh yeah, I wear big ski gloves too. If I am just riding around practicing in above 0 degrees
>celcius weather I wear jeans (nothing underneath except some briefs) and a sweatshirt cause I
>usually get pretty hot.
>
>What does everyone else where for longer winter rides?

Go here for more info.

http://www.enteract.com/%7Eicebike/

Also, why not dress like they do in XC skiing? Tights, full body underwear, shells (body, head).
It's just winter, not the bottom of the ocean.

MTBguy.ca

> > bach37 wrote:
>
> > Cold weather tips?
>

> Try a thermal bra.
>

> Shaun aRe - "Hey, that chick's smuggling peanuts!"

Which one do you use? Cause I find that the Champion Jog Bra is the only thing that keeps the
"bounce" under control ... but its really not warm enough. Is it okay to wear a black bra under a
white shirt?

Cinder Girl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > bach37 wrote:
> >
> > > Cold weather tips?
> >

> > Try a thermal bra.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - "Hey, that chick's smuggling peanuts!"
> >

> Which one do you use?

I don't - I'm too flat chested, well, apart from the muscles......

> Cause I find that the Champion Jog Bra is the only thing that keeps the "bounce" under control

You don't wanna do that. Spoils everyone's fun....

>... but its really not warm enough. Is it okay to wear a black bra under a white shirt?

It's obligatory to. Well, that or no bra at all. The latter is especially recommended during
rainstorms.....

Shaun aRe - always HTH with the fashion advice.