Collarbone broken;displaced segments; non-union

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Osamayomamma, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Osamayomamma

    Osamayomamma Guest

    my current situation is:

    distal 3rd clavicle break radiologist says 50% displaced ligaments appear ok doc says two
    fragments-medial is displaced superiorally; distal displaced posteriorally

    1 week after bicycle accident,landed on shoulder-- in figure 8 brace which is a real pain to keep
    adjusted take on and off for washing., but seems to alleviate pain. also using sling.

    what are the chances this will heal on its own? how can displaced segments reunite. why do i still
    feel some fracture movement after a week? what is the best way to repair if open fixation becomes
    necessary? how soon will they be able to predict a non-union situation?

  2. Budman

    Budman Guest

    Had the same kind of fracture a couple of years ago. Hurt like hell but did heal by itself. It took
    almost four months before I had 70% or better use of that side. The feeling of the bone ends butting
    up against each other made me queasy at times. It took almost 8 months to fully heal. Now all I have
    is a lump on my left collar bone and slightly decreased range of motion on that side. Fortunately my
    wife owns an occupational and physical therapy company. The therapists there made damn sure that my
    rehabilitation plan was followed to the letter. "OsamaYoMamma" <[email protected]>
    > *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

    > my current situation is:
    >
    > distal 3rd clavicle break radiologist says 50% displaced ligaments appear ok doc says two
    > fragments-medial is displaced superiorally; distal displaced posteriorally
    >
    > 1 week after bicycle accident,landed on shoulder-- in figure 8 brace which is a real pain to keep
    > adjusted take on and off for washing., but seems to alleviate pain. also using sling.
    >
    > what are the chances this will heal on its own? how can displaced segments reunite. why do i still
    > feel some fracture movement after a week? what is the best way to repair if open fixation becomes
    > necessary? how soon will they be able to predict a non-union situation?

  3. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 20 Dec 2002 19:21:25 -0600, OsamaYoMamma <[email protected]> wrote:

    >my current situation is:

    Nasty :-(

    [SNIP]

    It will heal, given time, Mr YoMamma :)

    Naturally, you will be in agnoy for short periods during that healing time, but those grating noises
    coming from your shoulder area will certainly be interesting. Perhaps you should sample them and
    make a record. The YoMamma Rap, perhaps.

    Being a little more serious: I broke both my collar bones about eighteen months ago in two separate
    incidents. One was a simple break, the other a little more nasty.

    I always go to sleep on my right side but toss and turn when sleeping. So, in both bone-break cases,
    I quite often didn't get as much sleep as I'd have liked. However, I'm an insomniac anyway, so I
    wasn't particularly over-inconvenienced.

    The worst part, in my case, was making a natural movement such as picking up a kettle to pour
    boiling water from it and suddenly - and painfully - realising that I was unable to do so.

    Following both injuries (and another when I merely "trashed" my shoulder), I was able to cycle about
    two or three weeks after the break. I found braking quite painful as my weight would be pitched
    forwards onto the handlebars with my shoulder taking the pain.

    Anyway, get well soon. No pain, no gain ... or so they say. James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.