Commuter Panniers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by M. Barbee, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. M. Barbee

    M. Barbee Guest

    I am trying to decide on a commuter pannier or bag to fit on my rack.

    I have a set of Performance Transit Panniers now. They work fine on the bike but are a bit hard to
    carry off bike because the handle is really part of the strap used to attach it to the rack. So I am
    basicly looking for something that will work off and on bike and still carry my stuff.

    I am estimating that I need about 1200-1300 cu inches of space. However, I'd like it to fit into a
    locker. I plan to start going to the gym to work out with weights and that's near my workplace also.
    In my bag, I usually keep a rain coat, my work clothes (we're casual, so that's just some khakis and
    a golf shirt, shoes are kept at work), a spare tube and maybe a few emergency tools. I also like to
    throw my gloves into the bag when I get to work and perhaps have a little extra room for any small
    items I may pick up on the way home. I've been checking out a few on the web and right now I'm kind
    of mulling between a Jandd commuter bag and some urban pannier bags by a company called Arkel.

    Here's a couple of links: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP

    http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/urban.asp?site=

    Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other commuter panniers would
    be helpful.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "M. Barbee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Here's a couple of links: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP
    >
    > http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/urban.asp?site=
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other
    commuter
    > panniers would be helpful.

    I own the Arkel briefcase and two of their older small panniers. I can tell you that their products
    are very well made, and that their retention system makes moving the bags on and off the bike very
    easy. Also, their customer support is first-rate. If I needed a pannier that could double as a
    backpack, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of theirs.

    RichC

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:18:55 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, "M. Barbee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other commuter panniers would
    >be helpful.
    >
    >Thanks

    If you've not yet examined the Arkel products, do. Their detailing is unmatched. I'm very happy with
    my Arkel LadyBug. The bombproof Samurai bags need a shoulder strap, as do most other pannier bags,
    for carrying off the bike. They're extremely rugged to hold up well in daily use.
    --
    zk

  4. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    "M. Barbee" wrote:

    > I am trying to decide on a commuter pannier or bag to fit on my rack.
    >
    > I have a set of Performance Transit Panniers now. They work fine on the bike but are a bit hard to
    > carry off bike because the handle is really part of the strap used to attach it to the rack. So I
    > am basicly looking for something that will work off and on bike and still carry my stuff.
    >
    > I am estimating that I need about 1200-1300 cu inches of space. However, I'd like it to fit into a
    > locker. I plan to start going to the gym to work out with weights and that's near my workplace
    > also. In my bag, I usually keep a rain coat, my work clothes (we're casual, so that's just some
    > khakis and a golf shirt, shoes are kept at work), a spare tube and maybe a few emergency tools. I
    > also like to throw my gloves into the bag when I get to work and perhaps have a little extra room
    > for any small items I may pick up on the way home. I've been checking out a few on the web and
    > right now I'm kind of mulling between a Jandd commuter bag and some urban pannier bags by a
    > company called Arkel.
    >
    > Here's a couple of links: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP
    >
    > http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/urban.asp?site=
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other commuter panniers would be
    > helpful.
    >
    > Thanks

    Consider these. They are durable and simple, used a set for about 2 years now. Probably half the
    price of the Jannd. http://www.norco.com/axiom/panniers.htm Bernie

  5. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    The Jandd Commuter bag is fine, though the Briefcase Pannier is a bit larger. Buy from a good
    dealer, because dealing with Dave at Jandd has been unpleasant.

    Arkel is a better choice. It is a few dollars more than Jandd Commuter Briefcase Pannier (FCBP).
    More pockets. The laptop pouch is not extra. And the mounting system is more secure.

    "M. Barbee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am trying to decide on a commuter pannier or bag to fit on my rack.
    >
    > I have a set of Performance Transit Panniers now. They work fine on the bike but are a bit hard to
    > carry off bike because the handle is really
    part
    > of the strap used to attach it to the rack. So I am basicly looking for something that will work
    > off and on bike and still carry my stuff.
    >
    > I am estimating that I need about 1200-1300 cu inches of space. However, I'd like it to fit into a
    > locker. I plan to start going to the gym to
    work
    > out with weights and that's near my workplace also. In my bag, I usually keep a rain coat, my work
    > clothes (we're casual, so that's just
    some
    > khakis and a golf shirt, shoes are kept at work), a spare tube and maybe a few emergency tools. I
    > also like to throw my gloves into the bag when I
    get
    > to work and perhaps have a little extra room for any small items I may
    pick
    > up on the way home. I've been checking out a few on the web and right now I'm kind of mulling
    > between a Jandd commuter bag and some urban pannier
    bags
    > by a company called Arkel.
    >
    > Here's a couple of links: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP
    >
    > http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/urban.asp?site=
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other
    commuter
    > panniers would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks

  6. Jim Brown

    Jim Brown Guest

    Dave?? Big Dave?? Dave the owner of Jandd? Wow you must have done or said something to piss him off.
    I have met him a couple of time in Santa Barbara when Jandd used to have a mountain shop here. He is
    a big jolly guy. As for the Quality of Jandd bags they are exceptional. I build custom packs for
    exotic instruments and used to pick up material at Jandd’s shop. As one who knows sewing I can
    say they know how to do it. I have seen a few Arkel bags passing thru town and they look very well
    made too. I took a quick look at the links for Akel and Jandd. I think you missed a few major points
    on the Jandd Briefcase.
    1) It comes with a raincover so that makes up for the computer bag. 2) It’s a vertical ride
    bag & the suspension side gets completely covered when not in use. As for secure I agree that the
    Arkel has a twist loc while the Jandd is Bungie. I myself have used grocery panniers for years
    with little problem. But if that is an issue maybe people should view the Commuter Pannier
    instead. The links for Jandd are:

    http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCBP http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP

    jb

    "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Jandd Commuter bag is fine, though the Briefcase Pannier is a bit larger. Buy from a good
    > dealer, because dealing with Dave at Jandd has been unpleasant.
    >
    > Arkel is a better choice. It is a few dollars more than Jandd Commuter Briefcase Pannier (FCBP).
    > More pockets. The laptop pouch is not extra. And the mounting system is more secure.
    >

    > "M. Barbee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am trying to decide on a commuter pannier or bag to fit on my rack.
    > >
    > > I have a set of Performance Transit Panniers now. They work fine on the bike but are a bit hard
    > > to carry off bike because the handle is really
    > part
    > > of the strap used to attach it to the rack. So I am basicly looking for something that will work
    > > off and on bike and still carry my stuff.
    > >
    > > I am estimating that I need about 1200-1300 cu inches of space. However, I'd like it to fit into
    > > a locker. I plan to start going to the gym to
    > work
    > > out with weights and that's near my workplace also. In my bag, I usually keep a rain coat, my
    > > work clothes (we're casual, so that's just
    > some
    > > khakis and a golf shirt, shoes are kept at work), a spare tube and maybe a few emergency tools.
    > > I also like to throw my gloves into the bag when I
    > get
    > > to work and perhaps have a little extra room for any small items I may
    > pick
    > > up on the way home. I've been checking out a few on the web and right now I'm kind of mulling
    > > between a Jandd commuter bag and some urban pannier
    > bags
    > > by a company called Arkel.
    > >
    > > Here's a couple of links: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP
    > >
    > > http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/urban.asp?site=
    > >
    > > Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other
    > commuter
    > > panniers would be helpful.
    > >
    > > Thanks

  7. I would totally agree here. I've used 2 different models of Arkel bags and currently use the LadyBug
    which converts into a backpack off the bike. They are extremely well made and durable. It only takes
    about 3 seconds to convert into a backpack. Works and looks great!

    Chris

    Zoot Katz wrote:

    > Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:18:55 GMT,
    > <[email protected]>, "M. Barbee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Any comments or suggestions about or experience with these or other commuter panniers would be
    > >helpful.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    >
    > If you've not yet examined the Arkel products, do. Their detailing is unmatched. I'm very happy
    > with my Arkel LadyBug. The bombproof Samurai bags need a shoulder strap, as do most other pannier
    > bags, for carrying off the bike. They're extremely rugged to hold up well in daily use.
    > --
    > zk

  8. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    My boyfriend sent my new fanny pack to Jandd with a defective zipper, Dave claimed it never arrived,
    won't return phone calls or emails.

    I think I was polite by saying unpleasant. My guy uses the Commuter Briefcase Pannier every day,
    rain or shine. Everyday I see that name on his bag.

    "Jim Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave?? Big Dave?? Dave the owner of Jandd? Wow you must have done or said something to piss
    > him off.

  9. Jim Brown

    Jim Brown Guest

    Did the fanny pack arrive? What did they say when you traced it? I mean you did send it certified or
    with a signature card right? Because you are not going to respond and tell me you are slandering a
    company for a UPS,Fedex or USPS lost package are you?

    >>Dave claimed it never arrived, won't return phone calls or emails.

    You are not serious here are you. You expect the President of a company to chase your $10 fanny
    pack? Why don't you try customer service. I am going to forward this email to Jandd and let's see
    what they have to say...

    jb

    "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My boyfriend sent my new fanny pack to Jandd with a defective zipper, Dave claimed it never
    > arrived, won't return phone calls or emails.
    >
    > I think I was polite by saying unpleasant. My guy uses the Commuter Briefcase Pannier every day,
    > rain or shine. Everyday I see that name on his bag.
    >
    > "Jim Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Dave?? Big Dave?? Dave the owner of Jandd? Wow you must have done or said something to piss
    > > him off.

  10. Jim Brown

    Jim Brown Guest

    I am going to forward this email to Jandd and let's see what
    > they have to say...

    Well I got an answer in a day. To paraphrase the response. Jandd said they generally do not post in
    groups. They said that they would repair or replace any packs under their warranty, with one obvious
    caveat. They must receive them. In general lost packs are not an issue, but Jandd's policy is to
    replace any packs they loose. They do not take responsibility for any packs lost in transit coming
    in. Jandd recommends using UPS or FEDEX or USPS if you certify or require a signature. Jandd insures
    and requires signatures on all outgoing packs, so Jandd covers these. As for attitude Jandd attempts
    to work with difficult customers, but when they turn mean or nasty all bets are off. Jandd employees
    or officers are not required to take any customer abuse. Jandd says further that most of the
    customers tend to be polite. Finally, the person that responded said regarding Dave, "If you want
    Dave to look into something, write him a polite letter with the facts. If you want to get something
    from Dave make the letter funny. If you screwed up say so, because it's kinda like that Wonka (One
    of the Big Guys often quoted movies) scene, he is just looking for a good deed.

    Melisa I would say try a letter(nice & funny) and see what happens? jb

  11. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    You mean another letter, not the last two that were never answered.

    My guy dealt with Dave, not an employee. You really didn't get the story from Dave for I'm sure he
    remembers the many emails, phone calls and letters when Dave was talking to him in Mid November
    2002. We made a $200 order of a lot of little items that were hard to get at the retailers. It's
    easy to get a couple sets of expedition panniers. It's the little stuff no one carries. And one $12
    fanny pack really doesn't concern him. I understand.

    I was not rude to Dave, about Dave or the company. Difficult was an accurate description suggesting
    whatever the reader chooses.

    Let's consider this matter closed. You like to buy from Jandd, good for you.

    "Jim Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to forward this email to Jandd and let's see what
    > > they have to say...
    > >
    > Well I got an answer in a day. To paraphrase the response. Jandd said they generally do not post
    > in groups. They said that they would repair or replace any packs under their warranty, with one
    > obvious caveat. They must receive them. In general lost packs are not an issue, but Jandd's policy
    > is to replace any packs they loose. They do not take responsibility for any packs lost in transit
    > coming in. Jandd recommends using UPS or FEDEX or USPS if you certify or require a signature.
    > Jandd insures and requires signatures on all outgoing packs, so Jandd covers these. As for
    > attitude Jandd attempts to work with difficult customers, but when they turn mean or nasty all
    > bets are off. Jandd employees or officers are not required to take any customer abuse. Jandd says
    > further that most of the customers tend to be polite. Finally, the person that responded said
    > regarding Dave, "If you want Dave to look into something, write him a polite letter with the
    > facts. If you want to get something from Dave make the letter funny. If you screwed up say so,
    > because it's kinda like that Wonka (One of the Big Guys often quoted movies) scene, he is just
    > looking for a good deed.
    >
    > Melisa I would say try a letter(nice & funny) and see what happens? jb

  12. M. Barbee

    M. Barbee Guest

    Thanks everyone for the comments. I decided to go with the Arkel Commuter Briefcase. It should be
    arriving tomorrow or the day after. I'm looking forward to using it.

    M. Barbee

  13. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "M. Barbee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks everyone for the comments. I decided to go with the Arkel Commuter Briefcase. It should be
    > arriving tomorrow or the day after. I'm looking forward to using it.

    I use mine 'most every workday, on or off the bike. As long as you have sufficient heel clearance,
    you'll be happy, I think.

    RichC