Compact chainsets

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    > > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > > May need to use the Audax bike for a rack (depends what Caradice the
    > > > birthday fairy brings).

    > > It's the Marmotte. Why on earth would you need a rack?

    > only to get from the airport, will be stripping everything off at Bourg
    > (rack, light brackets,liposuction) although the bus is an option.

    <vision>Martin climbing alps with a swiss postbus tied to his
    rack..</vision>

    ...d

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > Arthur Clune wrote:

    > > > It's the Marmotte. Why on earth would you need a rack?

    > > only to get from the airport, will be stripping everything off at Bourg
    > > (rack, light brackets,liposuction) although the bus is an option.

    > <vision>Martin climbing alps with a swiss postbus tied to his
    > rack..</vision>

    One year on the London-Brighton one bloke was riding one of those big
    ice cream trikes (and I mean big) full of Ice Tea to hand out at the
    end; he rode it up Ditchling Beacon, assisted by two outriders holding
    a handlebar each and two others pushing from the back with their bikes
    on top of the trike. He looked nearly as exhausted as me.

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Been pondering (as I do) whilst riding the Audax bike today; I reckon
    the best bet is to buy some new wheels (if I can get any with 7 speed
    Shimano cassette hubs) for it and give it a serious service; it's not
    much heavier than the Trek and will have all the gears I need.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Been pondering (as I do) whilst riding the Audax bike today; I reckon
    > the best bet is to buy some new wheels (if I can get any with 7 speed
    > Shimano cassette hubs) for it and give it a serious service; it's not
    > much heavier than the Trek and will have all the gears I need.

    Just buy 9 speed hubs and put a spacer behind the cassette. Can't remember
    exactly what size spacer you need but I ran a wheel like this for ages

    --
    Arthur Clune

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > Been pondering (as I do) whilst riding the Audax bike today; I reckon
    > > the best bet is to buy some new wheels (if I can get any with 7 speed
    > > Shimano cassette hubs) for it and give it a serious service; it's not
    > > much heavier than the Trek and will have all the gears I need.

    > Just buy 9 speed hubs and put a spacer behind the cassette. Can't remember
    > exactly what size spacer you need but I ran a wheel like this for ages

    Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
    scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
    year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
    > scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
    > year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

    Not if you want to upgrade to 9 speed later. Otherwise, it doesn't
    really matter, though the newer 9 speed hubs are probably both lighter
    and better.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
    > > scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
    > > year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

    > Not if you want to upgrade to 9 speed later. Otherwise, it doesn't
    > really matter, though the newer 9 speed hubs are probably both lighter
    > and better.

    I could just swap wheels with my light bike (Mavic Reflex on RX100 8
    speed) and put the 7 speed cassette on with a spacer (found one for
    2.50) but I might as well re-wheel the Audax bike to give it another
    couple of years life (the old rims and hubs are very worn). Ribble have
    also got 105 9 speed shifters cheap. Decisions, decisions (all academic
    as am stony ATM)

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
    > > scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
    > > year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

    > Not if you want to upgrade to 9 speed later. Otherwise, it doesn't
    > really matter, though the newer 9 speed hubs are probably both lighter
    > and better.

    thanks for the advice; have now ordered some new open pro wheels on 8
    speed hubs, these will hopefully keep the bike going until after the
    PBP. Presumably I can make a spacer out of the various scrap cassettes
    I have lying about?