Valuation of Giant TCR Compact Road

Membrane

Guest
I'm considering placing a bid on a 2004 Giant TCR Compact Road (8.2KG
sans pedals, alloy frame, carbon fork, Ultegra gear system). This model
has been discontinued.

When comparing specifications with the 2007 Giant range the Giant TCR 1
seems to be the modern equivalent spec wise.
http://www.luvbikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b1s6p2556

As far as I've been able to find out from Googling (not many references
to the TCR Compact Road) it was an expensive bike in it's day (>£2000?).

The TCR 1 seems to have dropped a lot in price, RRP for the 2006 model
was £1500 http://www.cycle-paths.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b56s6p1234
(incorrectly labeled as a 2007 model, its actually a 2006), the RRP for
the 2007 model is £899 (lowest price I've found is £810, see above
luvbikes.com link).

Before placing a bid I'd like to know if I am right in comparing the
2004 TCR Compact Road to the 2007 TCR 1?

The bike I'm looking at appears to be in fine shape, the asking price
is £510 which seems about right to me when compared to what it cost new,
however if I compare it to the price of the 2007 TCR1 it seems too
expensive to me.

Opinions?

--
Membrane

in message <[email protected]>, Membrane
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I'm considering placing a bid on a 2004 Giant TCR Compact Road (8.2KG
> sans pedals, alloy frame, carbon fork, Ultegra gear system). This model
> has been discontinued.

An Ultegra groupset - without frame, wheels, seatpost, saddle, stem, bars -
will set you back £524 RRP or £400 discounted.

If this bike does not have significant wear, then it's a steal at £510,
whatever the price of this year's equivalent model. If, on the other hand,
a lot of the kit is worn out, it isn't.

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm considering placing a bid on a 2004 Giant TCR Compact Road (8.2KG
>> sans pedals, alloy frame, carbon fork, Ultegra gear system). This model
>> has been discontinued.

>An Ultegra groupset - without frame, wheels, seatpost, saddle, stem, bars -
>will set you back £524 RRP or £400 discounted.
>
>If this bike does not have significant wear, then it's a steal at £510,
>whatever the price of this year's equivalent model.

You can't value a used bike, car, motorbike or pretty much any other
assembled item by the sum of the parts used, otherwise you'd end up with
ludicrous valuations.

I use the rule of thumb that the resale value of a new bike or part
drops by 40% as soon as you bought it (regardless of quality). From that
base figure I then subtract additional sums for 1) age depreciation, 2)
cosmetic damage, and 3) wear and tear. That may seem harsh, but it is
entirely realistic imo. I'm sure that many retailers would agree with
that valuation (although they are not likely to admit that to
customers).

I frequently see ads like "bought for £1000, mint condition, only done a
few times around the block, letting her go for £870", such offers rarely
get responses.

When you buy new you can choose whatever you want, you can often
customize a bike by getting parts exchanged at no additional cost, not
so when buying used. Buying new you get right of return and warranty,
neither are available when buying used. You have to make it attractive
to buy second hand via the price.

--
Membrane

Membrane <[email protected]> wrote:

> Before placing a bid I'd like to know if I am right in comparing the
> 2004 TCR Compact Road to the 2007 TCR 1?
>
> The bike I'm looking at appears to be in fine shape, the asking price
> is £510 which seems about right to me when compared to what it cost new,
> however if I compare it to the price of the 2007 TCR1 it seems too
> expensive to me.

I sold mine last year,albeity a bit older, and heavily upgraded, Campag
throughout, all good kit on it, went for £290 iirc on ebay.
I had previously tried on here at £300iirc, but got no response.
I was a little disappointed at the price, but looking at other bikes,
soon realised that nothing depreciates as fast as a 5 yo bike.
Alan.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I'm considering placing a bid on a 2004 Giant TCR Compact Road (8.2KG
>>> sans pedals, alloy frame, carbon fork, Ultegra gear system). This model
>>> has been discontinued.

>>An Ultegra groupset - without frame, wheels, seatpost, saddle, stem, bars
>>- will set you back £524 RRP or £400 discounted.
>>
>>If this bike does not have significant wear, then it's a steal at £510,
>>whatever the price of this year's equivalent model.

> You can't value a used bike, car, motorbike or pretty much any other
> assembled item by the sum of the parts used, otherwise you'd end up with
> ludicrous valuations.

If you don't like the price, don't pay it. I offer my opinion, free, gratis
and for nothing; I offer it because you asked for it. If you didn't want
it, you should have said.

This year's TCR 1 model has Shimano 105 transmission - decidedly
mid-range - and own-brand wheels. Last year's (06) TCR 1 was a better
bike, with mixed Ultegra/Dura Ace/105 components and bottom-of-the-range
Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I doubt either of these bikes weighs anything like
as little as 8Kg.

If the bike you're looking at really has an Ultegra groupset (rather than
being a mish-mash like the 06 model, and really weighs 8.2Kg, then it's a
better bike than an 06 TCR1, which is a better bike than an 07 TCR1. So
you're not comparing like with like (not even nearly).

But, you know, buy it or not as you like; it's your loss.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

>> You can't value a used bike, car, motorbike or pretty much any other
>> assembled item by the sum of the parts used, otherwise you'd end up with
>> ludicrous valuations.

>If you don't like the price, don't pay it. I offer my opinion, free, gratis
>and for nothing; I offer it because you asked for it. If you didn't want
>it, you should have said.

You can say whatever you like, sadly you don't seem to be willing to
extend that right to others. If you want to make declarations without
being replied to, I suggest that you avoid intercommunication and start
a diary instead. Here's a suggestion for the opening line: "Dear self".

May I suggest in particular that usenet isn't for you as it's a two way
communication medium.

>This year's TCR 1 model has Shimano 105 transmission - decidedly
>mid-range - and own-brand wheels. Last year's (06) TCR 1 was a better
>bike, with mixed Ultegra/Dura Ace/105 components and bottom-of-the-range
>Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I doubt either of these bikes weighs anything like
>as little as 8Kg.
>
>If the bike you're looking at really has an Ultegra groupset (rather than
>being a mish-mash like the 06 model, and really weighs 8.2Kg, then it's a
>better bike than an 06 TCR1, which is a better bike than an 07 TCR1. So
>you're not comparing like with like (not even nearly).

That was helpful, it was probably meant as a put down, but despite of
that I'm going to say thanks.

>But, you know, buy it or not as you like; it's your loss.

What's with your grumpiness? Its a bank holiday weekend, good weather,
be marry.

--
Membrane

In article <[email protected]>, Membrane
says...

> You can say whatever you like, sadly you don't seem to be willing to
> extend that right to others. If you want to make declarations without
> being replied to, I suggest that you avoid intercommunication and start
> a diary instead. Here's a suggestion for the opening line: "Dear self".
>
> May I suggest in particular that usenet isn't for you as it's a two way
> communication medium.

Oh boy! Another nom de plume for Ewan/Spiro/Ziggy?

Steve wrote on 06/05/2007 11:52 +0100:
> In article <[email protected]>, Membrane
> says...
>>

> Oh boy! Another nom de plume for Ewan/Spiro/Ziggy?

An Impermeable Membrane? One where you can never get through ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Quoting Steve <[email protected]>:
>Membrane says...
>>May I suggest in particular that usenet isn't for you as it's a two way
>>communication medium.

>Oh boy! Another nom de plume for Ewan/Spiro/Ziggy?

news.individual.net? Check.

Not a real email address? Check.

Only ever wanted to post to urc? Check.

Strange gripe with Tony? Check.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

In article <xse*[email protected]>, David Damerell
says...
> Quoting Steve <[email protected]>:
> >Membrane says...
> >>May I suggest in particular that usenet isn't for you as it's a two way
> >>communication medium.

> >Oh boy! Another nom de plume for Ewan/Spiro/Ziggy?

> news.individual.net? Check.
>
> Not a real email address? Check.
>
> Only ever wanted to post to urc? Check.
>
> Strange gripe with Tony? Check.

My thoughts exactly and now he turns on Simon in a completely
unwarranted manner. It makes you wonder about some people doesn't it?