compact versus horizontal top tube for climbing

catch

Jul 7, 2004
Is there a significant difference between compact geomtery frameas and horizontal toptube frames when it comes to stiifness/weight for climbing. I am about to a buy a fuji full carbon bike that does not have a compact geometry - I am keen on climbing a number of alpine climbs. Should I go for the Scott CR1 compact carbon bike?

catch said:
Is there a significant difference between compact geomtery frameas and horizontal toptube frames when it comes to stiifness/weight for climbing. I am about to a buy a fuji full carbon bike that does not have a compact geometry - I am keen on climbing a number of alpine climbs. Should I go for the Scott CR1 compact carbon bike?
It makes no difference.Unless one is a noodle regardless of geometry.

boudreaux said:
It makes no difference.Unless one is a noodle regardless of geometry.

When you say noodle - do you mean skinny?
I dont think that I am a noodle but I do weigh 68 kg at 5'10''
Does it make a difference as the weight with compacts is supposed to be generally less than standard equivalents

catch said:
When you say noodle - do you mean skinny?
I dont think that I am a noodle but I do weigh 68 kg at 5'10''
Does it make a difference as the weight with compacts is supposed to be generally less than standard equivalents
He's talking about the frame. A frame can be either ultra stiff or ultra flexy (noodle) regardless of whether or not it's a compact. There's also no inherent weight difference.

artmichalek said:
He's talking about the frame. A frame can be either ultra stiff or ultra flexy (noodle) regardless of whether or not it's a compact. There's also no inherent weight difference.

Cheers for that - so it does not matter as long as the frame is is stiff and light.
Is there any particular point to having a compact?

catch said:
Cheers for that - so it does not matter as long as the frame is is stiff and light.
Search the forum. There are at least a half dozen threads on this.

catch said:
Yes, the only point would be everything else about the bike fits better than the one w/conventional geometry. Sloping TT is only an aesthetic thing.