Connex Wipperman Ti Chain

samtheclip

Sep 22, 2003
Has anyone used or heard of any info on Connex's Ti chain? I see that it saves about 60 grams over their S/S model. I know it is expensive but, I am not looking at the expense part. Some say it will stretch others say no. Any info is greatly appreciated.

"samtheclip"

Originally posted by samtheclip
Has anyone used or heard of any info on Connex's Ti chain? I see that it saves about 60 grams over their S/S model. I know it is expensive but, I am not looking at the expense part. Some say it will stretch others say no. Any info is greatly appreciated.

"samtheclip"

Bump because I am interested as well. Anywhere online actually sell them?

Some places sell it fo up to $350! I got mine on E-Bay for $225.00. If you look you can find it under $300.00. I am just looking for some reviews on it.

don't know of anyone using one. but knowing how much faster ti cogs wear, I'm not convinced a ti chain is a good idea. especially when looking at the cost/benefit ratio.

There are basically two types of parts in the bike industry; those made for everyday, enthusiast, recreational-racers and then there are those that are made for professional racing. Carbon chainrings, Continental Super Sonic tires (~500 mile life), and Ti chains are some examples of the latter.

This doesn't mean that people without a US Postal contract cannot ride and enjoy them - quite to the contrary. However, they're just not designed for long-lasting, everyday use.

Pretty darn cool chain though!

I have the Stainless chain on my bike and I'm loving it.

I just purchased the Campy 10sp all Ti cog's. Also this Ti chain. I only plan on using them for race day and that is all. I can't imaging that wear would be an issue here, right?

-Sam

I just purchased the Campy 10sp all Ti cog's. Also this Ti chain. I only plan on using them for race day and that is all. I can't imaging that wear would be an issue here, right?

-Sam

Titanium is a great metal, but I have not seen a lot of examples of it being used in moving parts where wear is an issue yet. Time will tell...

-Sam

as I said, don't know anyone with one so I have no first hand knowledge. but, intuitively, it causes me to wonder.

let us know, a few races down the road, how it utrns out.

I know several top group users (recreational riders) 9 speed Dura Ace and Record who use the Ultegra or Chorus cassettes because the titanium in the DA and Record cassettes wear out faster than the stainless ultegra/chorus. When I write wear out, I mean that most expect a cassette to last a season 6000-10000 miles and I´ve heard of DA/Record ones wearing out in a oneday race! (wet) and most needing change after 3000-5000 miles I´ve just gotten the new 2004 record group and cannot say anything yet about wear to that. There are ofcourse exceptions.

-Sam
If you don't end up on the podium it's all moot.

-Sam

Have you ridden your ti combo yet? Any comments?

Not yet. I will try in out in the next couple of months when the weather warms up. I will post my feedback then.