Considering New Road Bicycle...

Edudbor

Aug 19, 2007
I've been shopping around locally; and so far, it seems like this (http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/CLS-3300-Details.html) is a great deal.

It's an Ibex Classic 300, for $399 dollars. The only downside is that it's a very ugly yellow (in my opinion, no offense to anyone who owns one or anything).

Can anyone tell me if this is actually a good deal and/or link me to some other bicycles I can buy that might be better?

EDIT: I purchased a Fuji Roubax (sp?) for $849 from the local bicycle shop; and loved the bicycle except for the constant flat tires. I rode it into work (got a flat) and had some of the guys help me fix it; they told me the tires seemed 'off' and to have it checked out. I took it in, and well, they lost my paper work a few times, told me it was finished (but when I showed up, it wasn't) - they eventually told me it was finished and that the rim-tape (I think?) was installed incorrectly. Anyway, another mile of riding and I had another flat. They shop had a 30 day guarantee/return policy and it was day 29 yesterday when I got another flat. I ended up returning the bicycle; but I really liked the bicycle - but I didn't trust the shop.

The bike shop told me that it was perfectly normal to get flats every 10 miles, and that I was simply riding my road bike too aggressively (I ride like an old lady) on roads that aren't 'very good'. The reason I like this bike so much is because of this thread I found: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1204314 - it shows a guy riding on off-road and on country roads with rocks and pebbles along the side of the road (I deal with the pebbles, never off-road).

I'd also put this one together myself. I like that. At least this way, if it's screwed up it'll be because I did it.

Well, I hope this was a good deal - because I bought it.

SHould be here soon; hopefully tomorrow...but who knows!

Edudbor said:
I've been shopping around locally; and so far, it seems like this (http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/CLS-3300-Details.html) is a great deal.

It's an Ibex Classic 300, for $399 dollars. The only downside is that it's a very ugly yellow (in my opinion, no offense to anyone who owns one or anything).

Can anyone tell me if this is actually a good deal and/or link me to some other bicycles I can buy that might be better?

EDIT: I purchased a Fuji Roubax (sp?) for $849 from the local bicycle shop; and loved the bicycle except for the constant flat tires. I rode it into work (got a flat) and had some of the guys help me fix it; they told me the tires seemed 'off' and to have it checked out. I took it in, and well, they lost my paper work a few times, told me it was finished (but when I showed up, it wasn't) - they eventually told me it was finished and that the rim-tape (I think?) was installed incorrectly. Anyway, another mile of riding and I had another flat. They shop had a 30 day guarantee/return policy and it was day 29 yesterday when I got another flat. I ended up returning the bicycle; but I really liked the bicycle - but I didn't trust the shop.

The bike shop told me that it was perfectly normal to get flats every 10 miles, and that I was simply riding my road bike too aggressively (I ride like an old lady) on roads that aren't 'very good'. The reason I like this bike so much is because of this thread I found: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1204314 - it shows a guy riding on off-road and on country roads with rocks and pebbles along the side of the road (I deal with the pebbles, never off-road).

I'd also put this one together myself. I like that. At least this way, if it's screwed up it'll be because I did it.

Edudbor said:
Well, I hope this was a good deal - because I bought it.

SHould be here soon; hopefully tomorrow...but who knows!
for that price I think it should be a good deal - the alloy frame should be pretty nice to ride, the Sora setup will last for ages and should stay smooth, the Alex wheels are good. You should have yourself a nice solid sturdy bike.

And the yellow - I don't think it's that bad, yellow bikes were big in the early to mid nineties.