Continental Grand Prix 4000 Tires

serenaslu

Feb 3, 2004
Anyone had any experience with, or heard any real-world feedback on the performance of advance shipments of the new Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires? I see that a couple of vendors say that they should have them in stock sometime this next week or so.

serenaslu said:
Anyone had any experience with, or heard any real-world feedback on the performance of advance shipments of the new Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires? I see that a couple of vendors say that they should have them in stock sometime this next week or so.
Nah. I've been trying too. Best LBS I know says that Conti's rep basically gives the same party-line as has been available recently on their site:
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti grand prix 4000.shtml

Looks good on paper. Guess someone will have to plop down the bucks first.
:rolleyes:

I will definately be willing to put my money on them when they come out. I've been riding the 3000's for quite some time. For me, they are the best. Just yesterday I found myself on a mountain road that turned into gravel and dirt. It was supposed to be paved the entire way but hey, this is West Virginia. I went seven miles over rocks and debris with no problems. Conti's don't seem to last as long as others, but I can't recall ever having a flat.

Waiting also to hear real world experience on these tires before I drop over $100 on them.

serenaslu said:

Waiting also to hear real world experience on these tires before I drop over $100 on them.

serenaslu said:

I bought 4 so far... :cool: Would have bougnt more but only have two bikes... :D

I found reduced rollling resistance at speed, 100f 110r for hard riding, now reducing the tyre pressure to get some comfort back, 85f 90r for shopping and leisurely rides in the park.

I bought 4 so far... :cool: Would have bougnt more but only have two bikes... :D

I found reduced rollling resistance at speed, 100f 110r for hard riding, now reducing the tyre pressure to get some comfort back, 85f 90r for shopping and leisurely rides in the park.

How is the back tire, any flattening on the rear noticed yet?

gclark8 said:

How is the back tire, any flattening on the rear noticed yet?

gclark8 said:

serenaslu said:
A couple of the guys I race with use them and absolutly love them. Good training tire, as it is fairly hard wearing and puncture resistant; plus has enough traction and good roll to be used as a race tire. Will definatly be puting some on my new wheels.

serenaslu said:
A couple of the guys I race with use them and absolutly love them. Good training tire, as it is fairly hard wearing and puncture resistant; plus has enough traction and good roll to be used as a race tire. Will definatly be puting some on my new wheels.

835 miles on my set . Some flattening on th rear - but wear indicators show lots of tread left. Just a slight hint of wear on the front. I like them a lot - seem to roll better than the 3000 which I never cared for and ride great. I run 105 psi front and rear. Goat heads we have in the SW will still cause a puncture.

Jim

835 miles on my set . Some flattening on th rear - but wear indicators show lots of tread left. Just a slight hint of wear on the front. I like them a lot - seem to roll better than the 3000 which I never cared for and ride great. I run 105 psi front and rear. Goat heads we have in the SW will still cause a puncture.

Jim

abqhudson said:

Jim
Just bought another set of 3000s here; LBS didn't have the 4000s yet. Like the 3000s a lot, as I never had a puncture with them in 12000 miles. Get 3000 miles wear on the back routinely, and love the smooth ride and grip.

The 4000s look to be even pricier, and I'm a cheapskate at heart. But with the results I've gotten from the 3000s, plan to stick with Conti a long time. Since the tires stay on the bike for 3000 miles rear, 6000 front, the cost per mile really isn't that high anyway. (At 180 lbs, I like 100 psi F/105-110R)

abqhudson said:

Jim
Just bought another set of 3000s here; LBS didn't have the 4000s yet. Like the 3000s a lot, as I never had a puncture with them in 12000 miles. Get 3000 miles wear on the back routinely, and love the smooth ride and grip.

The 4000s look to be even pricier, and I'm a cheapskate at heart. But with the results I've gotten from the 3000s, plan to stick with Conti a long time. Since the tires stay on the bike for 3000 miles rear, 6000 front, the cost per mile really isn't that high anyway. (At 180 lbs, I like 100 psi F/105-110R)

I have rubino pro's coming from probikekit.com...I am definitely getting some conti 4000's in a few months when i can save up some money. I need 3 conti 4000's & 3 deda seamless tubes (for racing). Gear cables, bottle cage, cleats, team jersey, KOTM socks...dont laugh! lol, winter gloves, handlebar tape, bike lock, degreaser, lube and some lights hmmmppphhh this business aint cheap...thats why i got a job :cool: . From probikekit/LBS I can get all of that for less than $320 (about 14 weeks work) if I stay scabby.To think I was set for my cycling gear...I think once I get all that gear I wont need much for a long time! Then I will probably grow 6 inches in 6 months and im back to square one :p .

I have rubino pro's coming from probikekit.com...I am definitely getting some conti 4000's in a few months when i can save up some money. I need 3 conti 4000's & 3 deda seamless tubes (for racing). Gear cables, bottle cage, cleats, team jersey, KOTM socks...dont laugh! lol, winter gloves, handlebar tape, bike lock, degreaser, lube and some lights hmmmppphhh this business aint cheap...thats why i got a job :cool: . From probikekit/LBS I can get all of that for less than $320 (about 14 weeks work) if I stay scabby.To think I was set for my cycling gear...I think once I get all that gear I wont need much for a long time! Then I will probably grow 6 inches in 6 months and im back to square one :p .