Could You Climb l'Alpe d' Huez?

I sometimes wonder whether the awesome climbs are worth doing. Last year I had this fixation with trying to seek out the steepest, most gruesome climbs I could find. Trouble is that kind of training is pretty brutal on the knees and my own started to ache after a while.
Another point is that climbing really steep hills makes up a very small percentage of what you're supposed to do on a bike. O.K. there's plenty of climbing in the TDF and it's usually the best climbers and time-trialers that win the event but, let's face it, TDF climbs aren't incredibly steep, just long. Lance Armstrong rated the worst TDF climbs at around 7 per cent (only very small sections being at 14 per cent).
These days I do less of the really steep hills and prefer to seek out medium hills that are very long. I find these more beneficial than when I used to bust my ass up corkscrew climbs with a purple face. Don't know if any of you relate to that line of thought.

BlueIcarus said:
Talking about Angliru....

This is it's graph and info

http://www.altimetrias.com/aspbk/verPuertoGB.asp?id=257

Now... this is hard, huh? :D

(checkout this 23.5% piece near the end :O )

Nice page on the Angliru - it really isn't for mortal consumption - its not healthy.
Anyone been up the Bwylch y Groes in North Wales? another hell-on-earth climb at 33% and 2-3 miles long. It was the only climb that I had to stop on, had I known that I was right near the top I might not have...anyway, that was when I was superfit (now the slightest incline and out comes the oxygen mask)
I agree with Carrera that its not so important to find the worst or the longest and more importantly if you're not ready for it then you put yourself at risk to injuries (i should know) BUT, there is something incredible about pushing yourself to those limits. Its funny that after finishing a particularly punishing climb your brain (now that its all over) manages to completely erase all that pain and suffering and cursing in purgatory, and actually convinces you that you enjoyed coughing out one your lungs up back down the road!

TDF climbs aren't incredibly steep, just long. Lance Armstrong rated the worst TDF climbs at around 7 per cent (only very small sections being at 14 per cent).

Two summers ago I went over with my son and followed the Tour.

My impression is that a 7% gradient doesnt sound like much, but remember, that is the AVERAGE gradient, and yes, like the Tourmalet which we rode for all 20 km of it (up the long side, not La Mongie) it is a very difficult effort.

There weren't many switchbacks, but for every little moment where it flattens out to 5-6%, there is, do the math, another equally long section which is 8-9%. It really adds up after a while. Particularly over 12 miles.

We rode Luz Ardiden, which is often compared to Alpe d'Huez. The Alpe is rated as 8.6% for 13.5km. Do the math, it is really close to 9% all the way up.

Luz Ardiden had forever stretches of 9-10% gradient, and ramps of 0.5 to 1.0 km which were like 10-13%. This stuff is really hard.

But yes, slow enough and with the right gears anyone can go up the Alpe.

As to the guy who says he did the Alpe in 55 minutes? Bragging or talented!!

If you check the TdF results, on a stage that ends at the Alpe, 55 minutes to go up it--that would be the time that very talented riders come in 10-15 minutes after the leaders. Not even the autobus which comes in 20-30 minutes later who are clocking like an hour to hour 5 minutes to get up. Anything under an hour is like a Cat 1/Pro time.

Check out the ITT at this year's TdF. The world's best pros at the bottom ofthe results for the stage, who were racing against a time elimintation, came in at 49-50 minutes. 55 minutes is blazing. And any people I saw go up Luz Ardiden in a 39X23 were out of the saddle the whole time. Most used 26-27 up to 32 in the rear.

I know where you're coming from on that score. My memories of insane climbs are as follows: the silence of some deserted place interrupted by a booming heart, cuss words and grunts. The smell of sheep **** coming from nearby fields and the bemused face of the odd cow wondering what's going on. Collapsing over a nearby fence with a heavy heart, disappointed (or devastated over failure to complete the task at hand). Or sometimes, hoots of triumphant joy while you tell yourself you'll never put yourself through such suffering again.
And have you ever experienced panic? The sudden thought as you turn yet another bend that you're simply not going to make it?
"****! How much longer can this sucker go on for?"

2zanzibar said:
Nice page on the Angliru - it really isn't for mortal consumption - its not healthy.
Anyone been up the Bwylch y Groes in North Wales? another hell-on-earth climb at 33% and 2-3 miles long. It was the only climb that I had to stop on, had I known that I was right near the top I might not have...anyway, that was when I was superfit (now the slightest incline and out comes the oxygen mask)
I agree with Carrera that its not so important to find the worst or the longest and more importantly if you're not ready for it then you put yourself at risk to injuries (i should know) BUT, there is something incredible about pushing yourself to those limits. Its funny that after finishing a particularly punishing climb your brain (now that its all over) manages to completely erase all that pain and suffering and cursing in purgatory, and actually convinces you that you enjoyed coughing out one your lungs up back down the road!

hombredesubaru said:
As to the guy who says he did the Alpe in 55 minutes? Bragging or talented!!

If you check the TdF results, on a stage that ends at the Alpe, 55 minutes to go up it--that would be the time that very talented riders come in 10-15 minutes after the leaders. Not even the autobus which comes in 20-30 minutes later who are clocking like an hour to hour 5 minutes to get up. Anything under an hour is like a Cat 1/Pro time.

Check out the ITT at this year's TdF. The world's best pros at the bottom ofthe results for the stage, who were racing against a time elimintation, came in at 49-50 minutes. 55 minutes is blazing. And any people I saw go up Luz Ardiden in a 39X23 were out of the saddle the whole time. Most used 26-27 up to 32 in the rear.

Around the hour mark is usually considered about right for a club racer, although obviously it depends on what sort of riding they'd done before hand. As I said above, when I rode the Alpe it was straight from the bottom with good rested legs and without any touring stuff, panniers or anything, so I was expecting to go well inside the hour. I come from an area in south Wales where there are several climbs of 6-8km so I'm well used to training and racing on long, hard climbs.

The times you give for the TdF ITT stage on the climb include a couple of km's on the flat between Bourg and the start of the climb proper.

I'll let you know how I get on at Luz Ardiden when I go over there in June.

I did the 72 miles a few years ago, that doesn't automatically get you a tag for the top of Mitchell the the next year.

Jay

billyboost said:
I did not do the race, but I rode from Asheville NC, to the top of Mt. Mitchell in April a couple of years ago... There was still some snow on the side of the road, so it pretty cold... If I remember right it was about 35 miles from the hotel to the top, and most of it was up hill, very good climb, I am looking forward to doing some riding down there again this May... I am planning on doing the 70 mile ride/race this year so I can do the 100 mile Mt Mitchell one next year...

Carrera said:
I know where you're coming from on that score. My memories of insane climbs are as follows: the silence of some deserted place interrupted by a booming heart, cuss words and grunts. The smell of sheep **** coming from nearby fields and the bemused face of the odd cow wondering what's going on. Collapsing over a nearby fence with a heavy heart, disappointed (or devastated over failure to complete the task at hand). Or sometimes, hoots of triumphant joy while you tell yourself you'll never put yourself through such suffering again.
And have you ever experienced panic? The sudden thought as you turn yet another bend that you're simply not going to make it?

Yes to all of the above.

Got to the Pyrenees and my son wanted to go out hard from Day 1.

We were just off the plane from the US and staying at moderate altitude and un-acclimated. SO... we were supposed to go to pedal from Luz St Sauveur up to this long grind to a village and lookat the water falls and get our legs. We got to the village after 20 km at slow grind of 3-4% for 10 km.
Then he wants to go up to the ski station:

http://www.salite.ch/boucharo.htm

Which had several really steep pitches and I had to stop and gasp, then had trouble clicking out of my pedal and just fell over, nearly covering myself in sheep dung which was all over the road. But we got to the top which was spectacular and hikers crossing over from Spain. Very cool. The highest climb we did, but unfortunately the first day, ugh!!

Carrera said:

I think that it really does depend on how well you are going and how "tuned in" you are.

For example - I am just going through some photos here when a bunch of us were cycling in the Alps a few years back : we did the Alpe D'Huez and the Galibier amongst others.
I'm not a goat by any standard, but I got over them because you're "attuned" to suffering.
Our group looks fairly comfortable in most of the shots.

So you'd think that having managed to get over steep climbs (by Irish standards) that the climbs here at home would be a piece of cake.
Not a bit of it !
I suffer equally as much as I did over in France because I wasn't "attuned" to
having to suffer back here.
It is a terrible feeling when you are really struggling.
Is there a solution ?
I find if I concentrate very hard, I manage to get through the bad patches but it takes an effort to overcome suffering.

And it's funny, a friend of mine is an excellent climber and we have discussed this many times and he says that although he may not show it, he suffers when he is climbing as well.

When I got to a peak of fitness last Summer, the suffering was more what you might describe as "tedium". You approach a big hill and think, "Oh, ****, here we go!" When I'm very fit I won't hardly get out of breath but I feel it more in the body and tend to go faster and faster so I can just get the hill out of the way.
Last night I went climbing in the dark and ice and it hit me hard as my fitness level is way down. I mean, I was in agony and wanted to stop, just like when I was a beginner (puffing and groaning). I have to lug about 190 lbs uphill at present. I also have to do my cycling in the dark seeing as I work by night and sleep by day.
My favourite hill is way out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere. It's a hill that would blend in with Jurassic Park - loads of trees, a cliff view and totally deserted. It's a corkscrew type climb, winding up and very steep. Had to buy a triple ring bike to cope with it as well but my guess is I couldn't do it at this stage till I get my fitness back to a peak.
One thing I did learn is I have to watch my knees lately. I made the mistake of climbing 5 times a week in the past which can be tough on the knees. Nex ride will probably be more on the flat or just a few light rolling hills.

limerickman said:
I think that it really does depend on how well you are going and how "tuned in" you are.

For example - I am just going through some photos here when a bunch of us were cycling in the Alps a few years back : we did the Alpe D'Huez and the Galibier amongst others.
I'm not a goat by any standard, but I got over them because you're "attuned" to suffering.
Our group looks fairly comfortable in most of the shots.

So you'd think that having managed to get over steep climbs (by Irish standards) that the climbs here at home would be a piece of cake.
Not a bit of it !
I suffer equally as much as I did over in France because I wasn't "attuned" to
having to suffer back here.
It is a terrible feeling when you are really struggling.
Is there a solution ?
I find if I concentrate very hard, I manage to get through the bad patches but it takes an effort to overcome suffering.

And it's funny, a friend of mine is an excellent climber and we have discussed this many times and he says that although he may not show it, he suffers when he is climbing as well.

Carrera said:
When I got to a peak of fitness last Summer, the suffering was more what you might describe as "tedium". You approach a big hill and think, "Oh, ****, here we go!" When I'm very fit I won't hardly get out of breath but I feel it more in the body and tend to go faster and faster so I can just get the hill out of the way.
Last night I went climbing in the dark and ice and it hit me hard as my fitness level is way down. I mean, I was in agony and wanted to stop, just like when I was a beginner (puffing and groaning). I have to lug about 190 lbs uphill at present. I also have to do my cycling in the dark seeing as I work by night and sleep by day.
My favourite hill is way out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere. It's a hill that would blend in with Jurassic Park - loads of trees, a cliff view and totally deserted. It's a corkscrew type climb, winding up and very steep. Had to buy a triple ring bike to cope with it as well but my guess is I couldn't do it at this stage till I get my fitness back to a peak.
One thing I did learn is I have to watch my knees lately. I made the mistake of climbing 5 times a week in the past which can be tough on the knees. Nex ride will probably be more on the flat or just a few light rolling hills.

The secret (if that's the right word) to climbing is fitness/weight, but more importantly, it's all about mental attitude.
It is important to be confident - and certainly a good level of fitness boosts
confidence.
But you also need to be clear and focussed.
And this isn't easy to achieve.

My mind goes back to the Etape in 2004.
The Etape was 237kms of which I'd say, 150kms was climbing.
That's a lot of climbing.
In recollecting my thoughts on the day - my climbing improved as the day progressed.
But this shouldn't be the case - because the climbs were getting progressively harder, steeper and longer.
When I begin to feel tired I notice that my thoughts start to concentrate on the distance which I have covered, and this brings on a sense of tiredness.
("I have covered 75 miles - I am feeling tired 'cause 75 miles is a long distance ").
However in the Etape, I didn't focus on the distance covered because I was
apprehensive about finishing.
In other words, I felt tired half way through it, but this tiredness was dispelled because I knew that if I focussed on it, I would blow during the second part of the Etape.

So maybe that's the focus you need when you climb - don't think about the territory already covered, think instead about the territory yet to cover.
So with your corkscrew climb - try to dispel that parts of the climb that you have already done, and instead try to think about what you have yet to cover.

Carrera said:
The following site describes one riders ascent of the Alpe:
http://www.gsoto.easynet.co.uk/fr_ride1.html
The question is, do you think you could take the climb?
Looking at the pics, the steep sections don't seem particulary frightening compared with some of the hills in England and Wales but the fact is, there are sections of the Alpe that have a 14% gradient.
I would certainly like to climb the Alpe and wonder whether this is possible. I wonder if it would be easy to take a holiday and just plant myself and my bike at the foot of the good old Alpe and have a go to see how far I get. Life is short so I guess it would be a cool thing to do and then be able to say you did it.
Anyone know if they have any group tours in that part of France or has anyone on the forum climbed the Alpe?
Again, do you reckon you could conquer this famous climb? And does anyone recall failing on a similar climb?
i climbed mt. washington in new hampshire US, which is a significantly harder climb.
7.6miles at 12% average. averaged 6.4mph

Carrera said:
Yes, that did it. Wonder why it has to be "htm"?

It has to be htm because that's what the file extension is. Microsoft software (in this case, Front Page 2.0) usually chokes on extensions of more than 3 characters. It's a "feature" left over from the 8.3 (8 characters for name 3 for extension) from the DOS days. Microsoft's web server (IIS) suffers this same flaw and defaults to only serving .htm pages. If you use .html, the users will have to type in the entire name. Perhaps this helps.</offtopic>

I'm not sure if I could make the climb or not. All of my rides are pretty flat, the climb I do "hill repeats" on only gains around 300' for the 3/4 mile it goes up. I would however like to have the time and money to try it someday even if I have to bail out at the first switchback.

JayKrause said:
I did the 72 miles a few years ago, that doesn't automatically get you a tag for the top of Mitchell the the next year.

Jay
That sucks, cause that is the only reason that I would even think about doing the ride... Thanks for the heads up...

Only hills I ever get to climb are the Antrim Hills here in Northern Ireland...:)

And they are absolutely freezing this time of year...:(

2 questions:
What's the distinction between a TT up the Alpe and a climbing stage? Is the climbing stage done more slowly?
Also, those of you who climbed the Alpe, how fast did you get up there and would you get up faster if you did it again?
How would I go about climbing the Alpe and how tough is it? Are there any points where you panic and feel you might not make it, or isn't it quite that steep?

From what I've heard, the maximum gradient on the Alpe is 11%...steep enough but still quite manageable for good climbers.

I'd guess that a stage that involved the Alpe D'huez -or any other mountain- would generally cause riders to climb a bit slower because of a need to conserve energy for other climbs and/or fatigue as a result of the distance covered that day. A TT would be by definition shorter and also all-out. I could be wrong.