Couple of questions

BMWRT

Aug 13, 2006
I am starting to get back into semi serious rather than just peddling around town, road biking after a 10 year layoff.
I wanted to ask...

1: what is the consensus for riding, as in how many times per week. Everyother day, every day etc.

2: I have looked and cannot find anything about the longevity of carbon bikes. Do the fibers break down over the years. I have had My current ride for 16 years but I am close to pulling the trigger on a full Carbon Trek. Can I expect to get the same longevity from a carbon bike?

3: Any real difference between a 10 speed and 9 speed ($300 difference, same bike)

Thanks in advance for helping me out

BMWRT

BMWRT said:
1: what is the consensus for riding, as in how many times per week. Everyother day, every day etc.
Whatever your body can handle, of course taking recovery into account. You could do a relatively easy ride every day, or maybe do a few small rides during the week to 'save up' your endurance for a big ride on the weekend, etc. All depends on your current level of fitness, your target fitness, how much time you have, the kind of terrain where you ride (flat, windy, hilly, etc.) and so on. You'll find your own comfort zone soon enough.

One thing's for certain though, whatever schedule you 'aim' for, you need to ease yourself into it over a time period.

2: I have looked and cannot find anything about the longevity of carbon bikes. Do the fibers break down over the years. I have had My current ride for 16 years but I am close to pulling the trigger on a full Carbon Trek. Can I expect to get the same longevity from a carbon bike?

With modern metallurgy and engineering, generalised assertions based on material alone are close to useless ;) The old rules of thumb no longer apply; manufacturers can design steel frames that are short-lived featherweights, aluminium frames that last a lifetime, and carbon frames that are super stiff and bone-jarring.

With CF frames, it's usually not the carbon fibre itself that dies (delamination), but where it interfaces with other parts: the lugs joining it together (at least, the interface between the lugs and the carbon tubing), the interface between the carbon frame and metal bottom bracket shell, etc. This was generally only a problem with early carbon frames, and I'd expect any reasonably modern race-spec carbon frame to match, if not exceed, the lifespan of a modern race-spec frame made out of any other material.

As CF is not a metal, it has a different set of strengths and weaknesses as far as care and long-term durability is concerned. Bike companies publish their own set of guidelines for maintaining a carbon frame.. usually covered in a thick layer of legal-ese CYA stuff as damaged carbon fibre isn't obvious like a bent metal tube is. Trek's is linked from here: http://www2.trekbikes.com/us/en/Inside_Trek/Owners_Manuals/Index.php

Carbon doesn't crease, ding, bend or buckle like a metal frame would under impact: it'll hold perfectly strong up to its limit, and then it will break. (If it gets a severe whack near, but not quite up to, its limit, some microscopic deformations might occur which will weaken that part of the frame.)

Where that limit is depends on the design and lay-up of the fibres. Generally speaking though, they are a lot stronger than first appearances. (IMO, if you were in an accident serious enough to snap a carbon frame, the broken frame will be the least of your worries)

3: Any real difference between a 10 speed and 9 speed ($300 difference, same bike)

simple answer: the right-hand shifter has one more click in it ;)

long answer: compared to 9 speed, you can have closer spaced gears while still having a similar gear range. Or a wider gear range with the same spacing. Also, 10 speed systems being newer, have some internal mechanical improvements here and there (like in the indexing/ratcheting systems, etc.) that the engineers have improved from their older 9 speed designs.

Is it worth spending $300 more for? Personally I'd spend that extra on something that would make a more significant difference to the ride, like perhaps getting a better wheelset. Also, 9 speed consumables (chains, cassettes) are cheaper, and you can always upgrade to 10 speed later on should you feel the need..

Carbon frames have come a long ways in quality. I still ride steel and aluminimum occasionally, but I vastly prefer my carbon bikes for their lightness, comfort, speed.

Carbon isn't this delicate material that most people think it is. I've seen a lot of guys use Carbon for very rough mountain biking and I use it for road riding and cyclocross, which is very rough as well. Everything has it's point of fatigue and if you wreck your bike then any material will fail if you don't have a bike that weights 30 pounds. Carbon is too nice to pass up and it's what I use for my daily training and racing. I use my steel frame bike on the trainers because I feel the carbon bike is saved from stress that way and cf is pretty darn expensive.

And I agree with the last post. A nine speed while not as tight a shifting index and the nine speed chain is a bit heavier you still have all you're usuable gears available from high to low. By far the best upgrade that can be made to any bike is a very light set of wheels with light tires and tubes, the difference is immediate. If you shed just 20 grams off a wheel it's multiplied because of the centrifigal force of a spinning wheel. All other upgrades are second on the list after this.

Lite wheels, lite frame, seatpost, seat, handle bars, nice crank(I prefer dura ace), lite cog set(dura ace), lite chain(dura ace), lite shifters(dura ace).......basically you're stipping weight every place you can. Or you could just skip all this a go for a tricked out road bike and get yourself into debt like the rest of us.

As far as riding. I'd say build up your miles according to your comfort level. Don't exceed a 10% increase each week. Have days where you ride hard and then the next day you ride slow for recovery and alternate like this. It takes time for you tushy to harden up. Also get yourself some quality cycling shoes and cycling shorts, with plenty of chamois cream to protect your tush from chaffing and saddle sores, I use "chamois butt'r", it makes your ride so much more comfy, before I started using this I used to get huge saddle sores and boils on my ****. And never wear your underwear with you short, you'll just be asking to rub yourself raw.

BMWRT said:
At least for me, I have found that if I am trying to gain mileage then I have to find a comfortable begin point and from there start to increase with a day off
in between workouts... this also allows for your backside to recover if you are
not used to riding.

on the mileage ride, I also like to add some short sprints in order to keep my interest.

just remember though, that I am just a recreational/fitness rider.