New to CF. Have a couple of questions

StepOffBigDee

Jul 31, 2009
Hey everyone.
Just joined this forum. A little about me.
My names Daniel. Im 14 years old and I just like biking around. I'm also into skateboarding but I would really like a faster way of transportation (the bus system isnt that great in my town). I'm also into photography and I like riding road/cruiser bikes that are single speed or fixed gear. So I have a road bike that I used to ride but it is way too small for me. I used it when I was like, 5 foot 3 and now I am 5 foot 8. All I know is that it is a Motobecane and it says "Nomade" on the side of the frame as well. If anyone could tell me about this bike, thatd be great. Also I have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to just raise the handle bars and the seat so I can ride it until I save up for another bike? (If possible, how?)
What are the necessary bike tools needed to work on bikes?
Can anyone link me to some beginners guides about bikes and bike parts.

Thanks
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

The bike in the photos is around the 1973 vintage beginners bike. Components are typical of many beginner bike in that era.

To raise the handlebar stem
1) loosen the bolt at the top of the stem a few turns. If the stem is not loose the tap the bolt lightly with a hammer, then the stem should be loose

2) raise the stem and tighten the bolt again. be careful to only raise the stem to the maximum line.

Google "Sheldon Brown", the late Mr Brown has very informative web pages on cycling mechanics.

Thanks!
Sheldon Brown's website has plenty of information. I think I will just sell this bicycle and try find another old road bike, but bigger since I am still growing.

Is there anything I should check before listing this bike on Craigslist. Any ideas on an asking price? Everything seems to be in good condition. No rust. Brakes don't squeak. About a year ago, my brother replaced the brakes, chain, seat, cables, and says that he cleaned and relubed the "headset". Since then, it hasn't been ridden