Cracked Clavicle - Time to Heal

Kalukis

Guest
Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between
construction barrels downtown; also discovered that a
cracked clavicle feels a lot like a seperted shoulder.

Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor
says 8 weeks, but that seems long.

-Kalukis

PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one
of the other 2.

Kalukis wrote:

> Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between
> construction barrels downtown; also discovered that a
> cracked clavicle feels a lot like a seperted shoulder.
>
> Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor
> says 8 weeks, but that seems long.
>
> -Kalukis
>
> PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one
> of the other 2.

I've broken mine 3 times, the last time I did i only took 2
days off work.. Hurt like a ***** for about 3 weeks though.

You will not be 100% for at least 2-3 months, and for the
first few weeks, it's going to hurt.

--
6/25/2004
7:07 PM [GMT-8]

Kalukis wrote:

> Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between
> construction barrels downtown; also discovered that a
> cracked clavicle feels a lot like a seperted shoulder.
>
> Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor
> says 8 weeks, but that seems long.
>
> -Kalukis
>
> PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one
> of the other 2.

I took one month before I could take the sling off, six
weeks before the bone joined and I could ride again, and
four months before I had close-to-full mobility and
strength. I still have soreness when I stress the bone, but
it's actually stronger than before because there is so much
bone occluded at the break.

"Kalukis" <[email protected]> writes:

> Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between
> construction barrels downtown; also discovered that a
> cracked clavicle feels a lot like a seperted shoulder.
>
> Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor
> says 8 weeks, but that seems long.

Must be an epidemic, this is about the fourth thread on
this question in the last couple of months. Basically, your
doc knows what he's talking about. Make sure you get a
"figure 8" sling.

Listen to what your MD sez - then take a bit more time. I
don't know how old you are but when I was about 40 years old
it took all of the "text book" time to heal my clavicle, and
a bit more time. Later it took still longer to heal broken
foot bones. If you have any medical condition (heart,
kidney, diabetes) or are so-predisposed, then it will take
longer yet...

Do you want your body to repair itself, or do you want a
makeshift job (for now) that will "bother you" when you get
older? Been there, done that.

Ken

Kalukis wrote:

> Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between
> construction barrels downtown; also discovered that a
> cracked clavicle feels a lot like a seperted shoulder.
>
> Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor
> says 8 weeks, but that seems long.

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:13:21 GMT "Kalukis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>discovered that a cracked clavicle feels a lot like a
>seperted shoulder.

I've never had a cracked clavicle, but I would have
preferred it over my separated shoulder. The important
distinction is that the clavicle will heal; the
separation won't.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:13:21 GMT, "Kalukis" <[email protected]>
scribbled:

>Well, discovered they sometimes string rope between
>construction barrels downtown; also discovered that a
>cracked clavicle feels a lot like a seperted shoulder.
>
>Any of you guys know how long these take to heal? Doctor
>says 8 weeks, but that seems long.
>
>-Kalukis
>
>PS - Stupid hits 1 in 3, you just always assume you're one
> of the other 2.

Ha. I did the same thing last saturday (20th). Only I went
one further and smashed it down the middle. I'd broken it
about 18 months ago (same, right clavicle) but the
previous break wasn't quite as serious. Before, I'd
managed to just snap the far end off, this time I went in
for surgery (few days ago) to have a plate screwed on to
keep the bits together.

Oy.

My last one required only a figure-eight sling to heal, and
it was about four weeks before I was gingerly riding around
on a bike again. It'll probably take longer this time
though, so I'll be happy if I have moderate use out of it in
2-3 weeks.

Argh.

I'd say that if you just cracked yours, and did not fracture
it in any way, you should be riding again in a few weeks.
Just take it easy, you really don't want to re-break it.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion