Crankset upgrade time! Vast quantities of good, quality questions await! Heeelllpppp!!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slash, May 20, 2003.

  1. Slash

    Slash Guest

    So my drivetrain has finally gotten to the point where I think I need to do some part replacements.
    Maybe while I'm at it, I can squeeze in a tiny upgrade or two along the way as well...

    My bike is made up of this stuff at the moment. Everybody loves a dry parts list, admit it... you
    know you do. And if you don't, skip down and get to the good stuff.

    REI Novara Ponderosa FS 2002 (8 speed drivetrain) Frame: 7005-T6 aluminum *Fork: 2002 Marzocchi MXR
    100mm Rims: Ritchey COMP / OCR Front Hub: Ritchey Comp Rear Hub: Ritchey Comp Tires F/R: Ritchey
    Z-Max/Bontrager Revolt SS (soon to be swapped?)
    26x1.95 Pedals: Wellgo w/ toe-clips (soon to be SPD, literally falling apart maybe Shimano 324's)
    *Front Der: Shimano LX *Rear Der: Shimano LX Shifters: Shimano Alivio 8-speed Cassette: SRAM
    5.0 11/32 8-speed Handlebars: Ritchey Low Rizer Stem: Ritchey Comp Crankset: Shimano Alivio
    22/32/42 (4 bolt, 8 speed, square. FC-MC20-L) BB: Shimano (BB-LP27, cartridge tapered square)
    Headset: WTB Momentum *Saddle: WTB Speed V Race 2003 Seatpost: Ritchey Comp Brakes: Avid SD5 B
    Levers: Avid AD3 Odometer: ~1600 Alaskan miles since last mid-summer. About half on pavement, a
    quarter in snow & ice and a quarter in sand, dirt, grit and good old fashioned grime. Rain or
    shine, day or night. :)
    * = Upgraded, not stock.

    More for my own reference than anything else, but it's a decent overview. Now, the upgrade
    questions. My middle chainring is starting to slip while under load, occasionally tossing the chain
    down onto the BB shell. And by starting to, I mean that it will slip on any cassette cog and on
    command. All I have to do is pop a strong wheelie in any gear from the middle chainring and it's a
    guaranteed spectacle, complete with loud cracking noise from the chain. The other two chainrings
    appear to be fine, from the scientific tooling around I did in the yard today.

    My crankset is pretty low on the ladder as far as equipment performance is concerned, and being an
    aging 4 bolt 8 speed design, would it even be possible to replace the middle chainring? Would any 4
    bolt 32t ring work? That said, would it even be worth it? The way I see it, if I'm spending $20 on a
    middle ring, and the other two are fast approaching a similar level of wear... why not just replace
    the whole damn crankset while I'm at it? Is this insane? Would I see a noticeable difference going
    to a newer, presumably better, crankset? Or should I replace the ring, run the whole thing into the
    ground and then replace it all?

    Or should I dive in now and try... this? http://pricepoint.com/product600.html (Race Face Prodigy
    XC, bundled with tapered UN72 BB for $79)

    Which leads me to more questions! Would this BB be a drop-in replacement for the one I've got now,
    assuming the size is the same and all of that good stuff? I'd need a BB extractor tool I guess, but
    other than that? And what about the difference in teeth? Would I still be able to shift to the 44t
    ring, compared to the old 42t ring? And what about the whole 8 speed vs 9 speed thing? Assuming my
    cassette still has a bit of life left in it, would new rings, old chain and old cassette cause major
    problems? And just to cover my ass, if I replaced the crankset, bottom bracket, cassette and chain,
    could I use the 8 speed chain and 8 speed cassette with a new 9 speed crankset's chainrings? Any
    difference in rotational smoothness?

    aaaaaaaaiiiiiigggghhhh!!!!!

    Should I just try to bend the hell back into the 2nd ring with pliers and a hammer and spend the
    money on a nice set of fat tires, strong whiskey, new pedals and ride it until it dies? (or kills me
    in the process)

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

    Tags:

  2. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    "Slash" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Crankset: Shimano Alivio 22/32/42 (4 bolt, 8 speed, square. FC-MC20-L) BB: Shimano (BB-LP27,
    > cartridge tapered square)
    >
    > My crankset is pretty low on the ladder as far as equipment performance is concerned, and being an
    > aging 4 bolt 8 speed design, would it even be possible to replace the middle chainring? Would any
    > 4 bolt 32t ring work? That said, would it even be worth it? The way I see it, if I'm spending $20
    > on a middle ring, and the other two are fast approaching a similar level of wear... why not just
    > replace the whole damn crankset while I'm at it? Is this insane? Would I see a noticeable
    > difference going to a newer, presumably better, crankset? Or should I replace the ring, run the
    > whole thing into the ground and then replace it all?

    Personally I'd go with a 2002 Lx with es-70(or even 50) BB. It should work fine with 8 speed and you
    would be ready to upgrade to 9 speed if needed. But personally with that drivetrain, I would just
    ride it as 8 speed. Just my 2 units of currency. Vaughn