Creaky bottom bracket?

cjw66

Oct 2, 2006
Hi, I'm pretty new to road riding. I just got a new road bike (assembled at my LBS) and took it out for a couple of shakedown spins over the weekend. Everything was pretty smooth but I noticed that when I got out of the saddle and really stomped on the pedals for a sharp incline or short sprint I heard a creaky noise coming from the bottom bracket area. Any idea what this might indicate and/or how I might correct it?

Thanks for any advice!
-Chris

p.s. On the first ride the pedals (Look compatible) were making squeaky noises but a little WD40 cleared that up. So it's not the pedals.

cjw66 said:
Hi, I'm pretty new to road riding. I just got a new road bike (assembled at my LBS) and took it out for a couple of shakedown spins over the weekend. Everything was pretty smooth but I noticed that when I got out of the saddle and really stomped on the pedals for a sharp incline or short sprint I heard a creaky noise coming from the bottom bracket area. Any idea what this might indicate and/or how I might correct it?

Thanks for any advice!
-Chris

p.s. On the first ride the pedals (Look compatible) were making squeaky noises but a little WD40 cleared that up. So it's not the pedals.
I'd take it right back to the LBS and have them fix it. Could be the BB or crank arms weren't properly assembled or torqued. Either way, it will take specialized tools and knowledge to find and fix the creaking.

Any decent LBS will cover all adjustments and repairs like this one; you shouldn't have to mess around with a new bike.

Its not a big deal. Bottom brackets usually loosen up on a new bike. It does seem a bit quick to get creaking though. Take it by the LBS that assembled it and they should be willing to take a look at it for you. It should only need retightening

Check: BB, crank rings bolts, crank bolts, pedals. Often times you think a noise is coming from a place it isn't.

capwater said:
Check: BB, crank rings bolts, crank bolts, pedals. Often times you think a noise is coming from a place it isn't.
Thanks for all the advice. This was my first post to the forums and I really appreciate the help. I'll take the bike back to my LBS for inspection and/or re-tightening of BB, crank, pedals, etc.

cjw66 said:

I wouldn't use WD40 as a lubricant as it will evaoprate fairly quickly and may tend to cause the grease in the bearings to loose viscosity and run out.

pod said:
I wouldn't use WD40 as a lubricant as it will evaoprate fairly quickly and may tend to cause the grease in the bearings to loose viscosity and run out.
Thanks for the tip. What kind of lubricant would you suggest for squeaky pedals?

cjw66 said:
Thanks for the tip. What kind of lubricant would you suggest for squeaky pedals?
The bearings should have a light grease and if it had a squeak I'd try and work some grease in from the side. If that didn't get rid of the squeak then a drop or two of light oil should do the trick.

cjw66 said:
when I got out of the saddle and really stomped on the pedals for a sharp incline or short sprint I heard a creaky noise coming from the bottom bracket area.

I was suffering from the same annoyance as well. I took apart the whole bottom bracket area, reassembled with grease, teflon tape, whatever I could think of, always to no avail.

Turns out the bloody problem was the rear QR. I took that off, cleaned it, gave it a tiny drop of lube and voila, a quiet machine once again.

Good luck.

velomane said:
I was suffering from the same annoyance as well. I took apart the whole bottom bracket area, reassembled with grease, teflon tape, whatever I could think of, always to no avail.

Turns out the bloody problem was the rear QR. I took that off, cleaned it, gave it a tiny drop of lube and voila, a quiet machine once again.

Good luck.
I appreciate the advice. Can you tell me what QR means?

cjw66 said:
I appreciate the advice. Can you tell me what QR means?
QR is the quick release skewer for the rear wheel. Velomane makes an important point, that lots of noises sound like BB or crank noises, but aren't. I spent about a year with a slight creaking noise under medium-load conditions that I thought was coming from the BB. Turns out it was coming from the left rear dropout, which is two-piece on my bike. The dropout and connecting screw was all sealed with paint, but after breaking the paint layer found there was a slight bit of rust underneath the screw where it seats into the aluminum dropout. Once I found it, was about 5 minutes to clean the screw, apply some grease and put it back together.

That's why it's best to have a real mechanic check this stuff out...particularly on a new bike in warranty.

dhk2 said:
QR is the quick release skewer for the rear wheel. Velomane makes an important point, that lots of noises sound like BB or crank noises, but aren't. I spent about a year with a slight creaking noise under medium-load conditions that I thought was coming from the BB. Turns out it was coming from the left rear dropout, which is two-piece on my bike. The dropout and connecting screw was all sealed with paint, but after breaking the paint layer found there was a slight bit of rust underneath the screw where it seats into the aluminum dropout. Once I found it, was about 5 minutes to clean the screw, apply some grease and put it back together.

That's why it's best to have a real mechanic check this stuff out...particularly on a new bike in warranty.
Very helpful info. Thanks!

if using a frame with a replaceable rear dropout (the piece the rear derailleur bolts to), make sure that is secure/greased. this is a notorious piece for squeaking on virtually any bike with replaceable dropouts.

the squeaky look pedals might be cleats squeaking against the pedal. some light grease/oil might help, although I don't have experience with what is okay on the cleats/pedal.

as pointed out by everyone else, a squeaky rear dropout would be something the LBS can and should handle.

congrats on your new bike
cdr

cjw66 said:

If it's the cleats, a dab of chap stick will quiet them down.

I've just got my bike back from the shop. I'd tired everything to remove the clicking sound from the crank area. At the shop the mechanic thought it was (in order of checking then trying again):
1) loose chainring bolts
2) loose spokes
3) bottom bracket

Turns out it was a slightly loose cassette lock ring that needed the slightest amount of tightening. I could have sworn the sound was from the crank/bottom bracket area, and so did the mechanic at first.

velomane said:

Good luck.
Thanks so much for the tip, I too had a creaking sound that appeared to be coming from the bottom bracket that was driving me mad, after a trip to the LBS it was no better and they couldn't help. I followed your suggestion and magic no more creaking

Thanks

I had a click/creak sound when peddaling under load. I checked everything else and finally solved the problem by replacing the worn out bottom bracket.

Once I had the culprit off the bike, I could barely here the slight metalic click when I turned the axel by hand but when it was on the bike it seemed to get amplified greatly by all the tubes and drove me nuts.