Crush vitamin pills and sip?

mutlut

Apr 24, 2011
Hi,

I figured out that a vitamin pill (like one-a-day forexample) is far much less expensive than a vitamin/mineral drink.

I wonder if it is safe to crush a vitamin pill and mix&solve it with water and sip during the ride, anyone with an educated guess?

Regards.

That vitamin water stuff is just nonsense! There are very very few instances where you would need instant infusions of the supplements found in them.

You are better off just taking the pill without crushing it. That will give you the benefit of timed release of the nutrients. Allowing your body to absorb more of them.

Have you ever noticed (when properly hydrated)how discolored your urine is after consuming vitamins or those vitamin drinks? Its because your system, typically, can only process and put to use ,a small amount of what in those pills and drinks.

It's just a colossal **** away! Even more so when you ingest the liquid form .

Look man, this is from wikipedia;
"Rehydration
In oral rehydration therapy, electrolyte drinks containing sodium and potassium salts replenish the body's water and electrolyte levels after dehydration caused by exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, diaphoresis, diarrhea, vomiting, intoxication or starvation. Athletes exercising in extreme conditions (for three or more hours continuously e.g. marathon or triathlon) who do not consume electrolytes risk dehydration (or hyponatremia)."

I insist that I should sip electrolyte (and also vitamin, why not?) "during" the exercise, because I have to replace the salt that I expel during sweating.. you know those white marks on your shirt or on your hat after they dry, they are the salts I mention.

So why not crushing "one-a-day" and dilute it in water and sip during exercise? Have you ever checked what's inside one "one-a-day" pill? All the minerals and vitamins you need, and with a really fair price corresponding to so called energizing drinks..

In my opinion just don't let your body be dehydrated, take it in pill form before you ride and drink some lemon infused water or plain water during your ride, to rehydrate yourself.

I wouldn't think that there would be any particular issue with doing it this way, but I wouldn't recommend it as you're risking some of the vitamins degrading as a result of environmental exposure. There wouldn't be any particular benefit to sipping on them anyway, as vitamins don't act instantly on the body and have to be loaded over time in order to have any effect. If you really want to sip on vitamins throughout the day, I'd recommend juicing some fruits and vegetables. As a last resort, you can purchase some effervescent vitamin tablets and put them in your water.

Even if you crush and mix your vitamins into your drink, it wouldn't have an actual effect in your performance because Vitamin supplements needs time to metabolize, I think what your feeling in drinking it that way might be a placebo effect.

If you buy a pill then ingest the pill with water. I don't think it is a good idea to crush it in water to have a sort of energy drink. But if it is the cost that you are concerned with the mineral drink then you are being frugal with your health. I suggest that you drink those traditional mineral drink instead of the vitamin pill.

The reason why pills come in different shape, or covered, or in a jelly capsule, is because it has to resist to gastric metabolism. So, when you crush the pill or capsule, you are taking away the protector mechanism the laboratory just did, to ensure your stomach doesn't get hurt, or drugs/vitamins/hormones keep their active form. So, better stop doing that and take the meds in the way they come.